PDA

View Full Version : ? about rebuilding a crap rotary

GuruJeph
09-24-2011, 06:35 PM
First I would like to say Hi this is my first post on the website and I just started looking around and have found a wealth of info, I would like to thank everyone who has supported to that.

As for my question, I haven't used a Chinese crap rotary but I have used stigmas and neumas for years. Without disrespecting any of the machine builders out there. I was wondering if anyone has bought a Chinese rotary and replaced the motor for a better one. Does it compare? For instance if you replaced the motor from the Stealth (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Strong-Blue-Alloy-Rotary-Tattoo-Machine-Motor-Gun-/150654223674?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2313b1053a#ht_4359wt_1265)with a much better one like a MAXON (http://www.ebay.com/itm/180727789683?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_500wt_1282) or a FAULHABER (http://www.ebay.com/itm/150636915773?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_6502wt_1031), would it run close to the $400 Swiss (http://unimaxsupply.com/tatmch/1swiss4A401.htm) that it is knocking off? Personally I would like to buy that crap mantis (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Adjustable-SPRING-HYBIRD-Rotary-Tattoo-Machine-Motor-Shader-liner-gun-KIT-/220861228176?pt=Tattoos_Body_Art&hash=item336c5ae490#ht_5503wt_1031) on ebay with the "adjustable give "and replace the motor for fun. Just to see if I can own a decent running rotary for under a bill.

Thanks

slicksteel
09-24-2011, 06:49 PM
from what I understand the mantis has no give only adjustable stroke length.

GuruJeph
09-24-2011, 07:16 PM
"The Rotary Machine provides you with the "give" adjustment which can adjust the softness of the hit on its full linear shaft system." they might not even know what they are talking about haha

slicksteel
09-24-2011, 07:25 PM
lol just read some of the coil machine descriptions by the china seller! lol alot of times they just copy and paste other machines enfo.

"4. Coil using the latest technology, ten high quality laps of solenoid valve
5. Stable bouncing, strong rear magnetic
6. Unwarming for long time using"

GuruJeph
09-24-2011, 07:31 PM
lol just read some of the coil machine descriptions by the china seller! lol alot of times they just copy and paste other machines enfo.

7. $5 sucky sucky ;)

turnrock
09-24-2011, 11:35 PM
so many write the same title phrases too like "low pitched" or "top rotary" wtf is low pitched?

Ainslie
09-25-2011, 02:00 AM
Fancy meeting you here Jeth! Welcome to the forum! I own a chinese stealth knockoff knockoff that has a better motor and bearing in it (and converted to RCA). I was using specifically as a liner and it was wonderful. Got it off ebay from a guy called Dirty's Designs or something like that. I just switched to the Hawk and haven't been using it at all. Ps. I am moving to Illinois so now I am selling the shop! It was a good little place and I will miss it!

Administrator
09-25-2011, 03:27 AM
Loads of good builders on here that will sell you a machine that is not likely to disappoint you.

The motor in that machine is probably the least of your worries. The bearings and other moving components will likely fail on you in short time. That said if you buy one to tinker and it still manages to make you enough coin to buy something better go for it just remember to put away the money for your upgrade when it does finally give up the ghost.

fkirons
09-25-2011, 12:15 PM

Wow Point 4 killed me! I'm literally ROFL! where did they get that description from, from a car, a machine, a pump ? lol

fkirons
09-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Buying that junk made by some turd that doesn't understand a singlet thing about tattooing or care about the industry is pretty bad. There are a bunch of good affordable machines in the market. Support the people that keep pushing the industry to get better.

elbo
09-25-2011, 03:00 PM
there motors are poo but every other bit is poo too....in the real world you cant make a machine and deliver it to a adress for $15 like the chinese fuckers...ha ha they never even had to design it cos they pinched it....Fuck me what are they doing in my local takeaway!....fuck eating that shit.

GuruJeph
09-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Fancy meeting you here Jeth! Welcome to the forum! I own a chinese stealth knockoff knockoff that has a better motor and bearing in it (and converted to RCA). I was using specifically as a liner and it was wonderful. Got it off ebay from a guy called Dirty's Designs or something like that. I just switched to the Hawk and haven't been using it at all. Ps. I am moving to Illinois so now I am selling the shop! It was a good little place and I will miss it!

Hey whats' going on. everyone's moving out to Illinois best of luck with the move. So I guess no one on here has tried replacing all the parts that really matter on the Chinese knockoffs.

elbo
09-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Hey whats' going on. everyone's moving out to Illinois best of luck with the move. So I guess no one on here has tried replacing all the parts that really matter on the Chinese knockoffs.

I tried re placing all the crap screws bearings/etc on a dodgey gen 6 and it eat away the body frame...hmmmm dont think theres that much for improvement.

GuruJeph
09-28-2011, 01:59 PM
right on, well thanks for the heads up. I'm getting rid of my N2 and stigma and I'm going to invest in a german evolution since I hear they are amazing for greywash, Anyone know if they are good for color packing also or should I look into another machine for that? anyone got any suggestions? thanks

Inkslingers
09-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Buying that junk made by some turd that doesn't understand a singlet thing about tattooing or care about the industry is pretty bad. There are a bunch of good affordable machines in the market. Support the people that keep pushing the industry to get better.

Well f**king said sir!

Dman
09-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Its just not worth the time to tinker around and replace all the components. Its crap to start with and it will just be shiny crap in the end. Look at it as you would if your looking for a car. Would you buy a corvette knock off for 15K and think its just as good?

GuruJeph
09-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Its just not worth the time to tinker around and replace all the components. Its crap to start with and it will just be shiny crap in the end. Look at it as you would if your looking for a car. Would you buy a corvette knock off for 15K and think its just as good?

That's how I was looking at it haha. Way back in the day I used to own a Honda CRX, replaced the motor with a H22a (prelude motor) then slapped a supercharger on it. Fast SOB with a ton of torque. Sure, I would have bought a Corvette if I had the money. This was a fun project and taught me lots about the car. I would like to know more about the mechanics of rotaries first hand. I by no means have the equipment to start building a frame for a sweet rotary. Figure I use the frames and a few other parts from the crap ones as they would be the only thing worth keeping. Again Don't mean any disrespect to the builders making a living off selling these machines. Just seeing if anyone has successfully accomplished this and could give me a few pointers.

GuruJeph
09-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Here's an example of what I'm talking about http://www.rotarytattoo.com/showthread.php/906-a-couple-stealth-mods

Deakon
09-29-2011, 11:03 AM
The evolution will pack Colour beautifully! Those stealth reworks look super cool though, have thought about trying it out myself!

GuruJeph
09-29-2011, 12:36 PM
The evolution will pack Colour beautifully! Those stealth reworks look super cool though, have thought about trying it out myself!

Sweet!! I'm excited, placed my order yesterday for an evolution. I'll post about it once I try it out!

Deakon
09-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Sweet!! I'm excited, placed my order yesterday for an evolution. I'll post about it once I try it out!I know you did dude, I posted it to you first thing this morning! Check your email for the tracking number!

Bishopbyname
09-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Sweet!! I'm excited, placed my order yesterday for an evolution. I'll post about it once I try it out!

I've bought several machines in the last 3 months and the Evolution is my favourite for shading, my b&g is smoother than it's ever been. I can now just concentrate on my tones. It also packs colour as good as any machine i've ever used with a little bit more needle hang. Sorry for the off topic comment.

GuruJeph
09-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Hellz yeah I'm stoked to try it!!! thanks a ton!!