PDA

View Full Version : Whip whimped out during session!

why-bloc
09-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Has anyone had a similar experience or know what the problem could be? I searched this site but didn't find anything.

I was working on a piece yesterday and my Whip quit on me with no warning, nothing. It was all there and all fine then nothing. I changed the clip cord, then the foot switch, then checked all the contacts, changed outlets, fiddled, looked, wiggled...nothing.
I got it to run fine without a needle bar, but as soon as I dressed it again it wouldn't budge.
It was an extremely awkward moment in my shop. My customer started fidgeting and clearing her throat. I know that I should have at least three of them but I just switched from coils a couple months ago. I haven't been able to decide what to get next.
Anyway, I was about to grab my gen 6 to finish even though it wasn't what I wanted to use, and suddenly the Whip was working again.
I use a CX-2 instead of a dual power supply, but I've heard a lot of folks say that the Whip is fine with CX-2.
Is there some numb-nuts thing I'm just not getting? I couldn't figure it out. I hate having technical difficulties in front of customers, and I'm praying that it doesn't happen again.

Inkslinger
09-25-2011, 01:02 AM
I run mine on a CX2 and have never had issues. Now mine is RCA, could you've gotten something in one of the contact holes? I HAVE had that happen with other machines.
Russ

why-bloc
09-27-2011, 10:04 PM
It could have been something like that. I checked everything I could think of though. Fortunately it hasn't happened again, and I'm assuming that that means the motor is fine. Aaaah, the mysteries.

wildboy
09-28-2011, 01:34 AM
Are you using an orginal CX2?

Justink
10-03-2011, 03:40 PM
if your using a clip cord rca model and the clip cord conector swings or is locked and wire is exposed it can short out on posts ?

Samyo
10-11-2011, 07:29 AM
If the spring on your clip cord is not strong enough that can also be a problem ... if it is RCA & you have moved the RCA around to suit you make sure to tighten the connection ... if you have any dramas flick me an e-mail ... [email protected]

G.Graves
10-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Did you ever figure it out yet??