PDA

View Full Version : what is the proper name of....

Dan Kubin
11-29-2010, 05:15 PM
I am building these rotaries, (like the one in my avatar) and I am wondering what would be the most common or proper name for them would be.

classic rotary
trashcan rotary
olde english rotary
traditional rotary??

I'm leaning more towards the traditional rotary name...maybe I'm just a sucker for traditional though...:p

Administrator
11-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Trashcan is probably not the best way to describe them as its really only a nickname referenced by the type of motor commonly used and almost sounds derogatory. I think old English has a nice ring to it, maybe Direct Drive?

A tattooer I know just picked up one recently. She compared her purchase to one of her hipster clients buying a fixed gear or track bike. I thought the comparison was fair, a track bike has no brakes and is direct drive with the only adjustment to speed is how fast you will pedal with no autopilot. But can be one of the best rides for specific applications.

Her actual reference to the hipster thing was that they are some kind of old is new fad that in fact her hipster clientele ask if she used them... :(

Alie K
11-30-2010, 10:04 AM
I would agree that 'direct drive' would be the best category to describe the one currently in your photo.