PDA

View Full Version : some lining with the rapier

elbo
09-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Heres some lining with the rapier 2 from Cary....man i love this machine...it makes me smile while im tattooing!..i normally do roses without that much outline but hey! the guy said i want outline ...the guy brought the boog style pics in for me to do.

Tiger Dan
09-30-2011, 02:56 PM
That is the dogs danglies Mark. I hope you post a more of this as it progresses. As much as I love my Rotary Works I do think it's time to invest in a rapier.

The Limey
09-30-2011, 03:05 PM
That looks great bro!

elbo
09-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Hey guys im no great liner... i just found it easier with a bit of give...ive tried soooo many machines and theres so many jack hammers out there that are more suited to breaking concrete...you gotta have a bit of give...hey all i did was ask cary for a liner that had some back off...not a concrete breaker....Cary made me a hybrid liner...man this machine can compete with a coil...it fuckin hums like a bee....

elbo
09-30-2011, 03:36 PM
That is the dogs danglies Mark. I hope you post a more of this as it progresses. As much as I love my Rotary Works I do think it's time to invest in a rapier.

Hey tiger the rotary works is one awesome machine....but you should try a rapier...maybe speak to Cary(hes a builder on here)...man i been tattooing 5 years in a studio i tried probably a hundred or more coils and god knows how many over priced rotarys and the rapiers have tickled my balls every time...stick with them....i dont mean try them for 2 or 3 days...ink with them for a week...maybe 2 ...it will all fall into place....

elbo
09-30-2011, 03:52 PM
I did this about 2 weeks ago but was too nervous to put it on here because there are flaws...man im a street shop guy who gets his living from inking...and hey! IF YOU DONT WANNA LISTEN TO JONNNY CASH THEN CLOSE THE DOOR! ha ha

elbo
09-30-2011, 04:02 PM
That is the dogs danglies Mark. I hope you post a more of this as it progresses. As much as I love my Rotary Works I do think it's time to invest in a rapier....dont know how far away you are Dan but if you aint too far from essex then come and try one fellow...

Tiger Dan
09-30-2011, 04:39 PM
If I am ever your way Mark I will bring the moustache and we can take it for a walk.....lol. Joking aside.... after all of your glowing endorsements I am gonna have to bite the bullet I recon. The kids will have to wait for a new xbox......lol.

elbo
09-30-2011, 04:55 PM
I think you will like the rapier mate...just make sure you try it for real...doing 2 hours work with it wont adjust you to it long term...stick with it 2 or 3 days and you will never look back...and if you dont like it i will trade ya for it ha ha

slicksteel
09-30-2011, 05:03 PM
the rapiers are the shit! wish i had not sold/traded all mine of!

Deakon
09-30-2011, 05:46 PM
I think you will like the rapier mate...just make sure you try it for real...doing 2 hours work with it wont adjust you to it long term...stick with it 2 or 3 days and you will never look back...and if you dont like it i will trade ya for it ha ha

I think this is the case with all machines. After using a certain machine for months or years its going to take a while to readjust.

Dman
09-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Out of all the rotaries I have tried I liked the Rapiers the best. Its a simple machine light and gets the job done. Not to mention the price is great. I traded both of mine and regret it. Looks like I will be placing an order for 3 more soon.

G.Graves
10-01-2011, 04:31 AM
Man great work! Liking those roses alot. Now I wanna try the rapier 2:)

JohnnyChaos
10-01-2011, 06:22 AM
Very nice lining dude. Looks real clean.
I really want to try a rapier. Although I do think this "spring give" rotary works is going to line well. Just want something decent to come in so I can test it. :)

tattooedpirate2
10-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Thanks for all the props guys on the Rapier machines. We are in the process of a Rapier III that is going to be ready soon. We are adding a gun blued steel frame and tube vice for the firearm look as well as adding an ounce or two to the front to counter balance all the weight to the front over the tube. We are also building them with the cord out the back and a front loaded motor. What we are trying to do is make the machine more servicable by the artist. We are also making it so you can change the give spring from soft to no give at all by changing springs or with a special slug to lock it down.

Tiger Dan
10-01-2011, 09:46 AM
What time scale was the lining Mark?

slicksteel
10-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Thanks for all the props guys on the Rapier machines. We are in the process of a Rapier III that is going to be ready soon. We are adding a gun blued steel frame and tube vice for the firearm look as well as adding an ounce or two to the front to counter balance all the weight to the front over the tube. We are also building them with the cord out the back and a front loaded motor. What we are trying to do is make the machine more servicable by the artist. We are also making it so you can change the give spring from soft to no give at all by changing springs or with a special slug to lock it down.

Hey cary those are all great ideas! Is the rapier3 going to be the same price? the weight forward will make that machine one of the best and I do like the idea of changing springs & stuff myshelf! It was already great and with the forward weight will even sink the needles easier for sure.:)

elbo
10-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks for all the props guys on the Rapier machines. We are in the process of a Rapier III that is going to be ready soon. We are adding a gun blued steel frame and tube vice for the firearm look as well as adding an ounce or two to the front to counter balance all the weight to the front over the tube. We are also building them with the cord out the back and a front loaded motor. What we are trying to do is make the machine more servicable by the artist. We are also making it so you can change the give spring from soft to no give at all by changing springs or with a special slug to lock it down.....

That sounds awesome...i will be wanting one for sure....

Jay Black
10-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Yup, I now use rotary machines exclusively thanks to the Rapier 2, I been searchin for the perfect liner for 7 years and lemme tell ya, 'HERE IT IS!' Rapier 2 is the s*%t!
I use a Neo Tatt for shade/color but my next test is the highly appraised Blunderbuss!

tugg
10-03-2011, 06:12 PM
I thought th treasure chest was the new Rapier ?

Baldrick
10-04-2011, 02:11 PM
I thought th treasure chest was the new Rapier ? not quite, the rapier 2 is a fantastic liner - it's all I use now I won't use any other machine. The treasure chest is equally if not better made - a real high quality piece of engineering from Cary, I use the TC for black & gray and colour - both machines are perfect for me I love em !!! Now Cary says he's bring out another new machine - o well get prepared to spend some more dollars then :)

Elbo - what size liners did you use? & what speed do you run at? I'm finding it great 3-7RL About 7 volts - suits me anyway.

elbo
10-05-2011, 12:49 PM
not quite, the rapier 2 is a fantastic liner - it's all I use now I won't use any other machine. The treasure chest is equally if not better made - a real high quality piece of engineering from Cary, I use the TC for black & gray and colour - both machines are perfect for me I love em !!! Now Cary says he's bring out another new machine - o well get prepared to spend some more dollars then :)

Elbo - what size liners did you use? & what speed do you run at? I'm finding it great 3-7RL About 7 volts - suits me anyway.

Hi Baldrick...i used a starr 9 liner on that piece...cheap needles but i like the fact they aint too tight! (they are quite chunky compared to some 9's)...i run my rapier at 8 to 9 volts with a big needle but go down in volts for 5's etc....the rapiers push a fat grouping very well...

slicksteel
10-05-2011, 12:59 PM
is this the place elbo?
http://starrtattoo.com/down_for_maintenance.php?osCsid=5614092ee6fd496f11 f2403a775f4cd1

elbo
10-05-2011, 01:07 PM
is this the place elbo?
http://starrtattoo.com/down_for_maintenance.php?osCsid=5614092ee6fd496f11 f2403a775f4cd1

You got it Slick...the cheap bright pink(ish) packs....ive tried ultra tights liners from some companys but feel they dont hold enough ink between the grouping!...it may sound wrong but the 3 guys in my studio all prefer these liners and we have tried so many other brands.Obviously these are made(like most if not all)in china .Im not so keen on there mags but they would be great for old school work.

Hey Slick i can send you a few of mine if you fancy trying a few without the hassle of buying a box of 50...hey mate i got 4's 5's 7's 8's 9's 11's in liners and i think ive got a few mags in the needle draws...youre more than welcome matey.

slicksteel
10-05-2011, 01:23 PM
yea i got that new coil/rotary hybrid comeing in from cary he is setting one up for fat lining so that would be cool.some large liners would be cool

have you tried these from powerline for fatboy lines?
http://www.powerlinesupplies.co.uk/categoriesAndProducts.asp?categoryID=185

(http://www.powerlinesupplies.co.uk/categoriesAndProducts.asp?categoryID=185)

elbo
10-07-2011, 04:39 PM
yea i got that new coil/rotary hybrid comeing in from cary he is setting one up for fat lining so that would be cool.some large liners would be cool

Ive used them Slick but try to avoid them....they are a dont give a fuck who buys company...ive bought a few machines off them over the years but there machines always lead to disapointment...they look ok but run shite ...

Inkslingers
10-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Clean!

tat2dru
10-09-2011, 02:52 PM
nice line work.carys machines are awesome i have a blunderbuss that packs color better than any machine ive owned .and i got dales new rotary work with the spring and im in love all over again.

Deakon
10-13-2011, 01:20 PM
I really like Starr's 9 liners. Their 7s are a little too tight though and te difference between the7 and 9 is huge! I quite like their mags too, but I pretty much like bog standard mags nothing too fancy!

elbo
10-13-2011, 01:27 PM

Slick the large liners have been posted and ive put a selection in there all starr brand...let me know what ya think of em?

slicksteel
10-13-2011, 02:17 PM
thanks mark!:cool:

Deakon
10-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Is it just the standard rapier2 everyone is using for lining? Or a specially setup rapier?

elbo
10-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Is it just the standard rapier2 everyone is using for lining? Or a specially setup rapier?

I use a rapier 2 hybrid which Cary made me for lining...its a zippy liner that actaully reminds me of a coil as it buzzes but not as noisey as a coil...i also use the standard rapier 2....both do a great job but i prefer to use either one depending on the area im tattooing..

Deakon
10-16-2011, 12:25 PM
I like the idea of a hybrid, have you used it for small groupings 3-5's? Or is it a 7+ machine?

elbo
10-16-2011, 12:43 PM
I like the idea of a hybrid, have you used it for small groupings 3-5's? Or is it a 7+ machine?...i never use 3,s ohhhh nasty things ha ha...i do use it with 5's occasionally and then have to lower the voltage...but my main needle usage is 7 upwards....man you cant beat a nice thick outline....

Jay Black
10-16-2011, 01:41 PM
RAPIER2 ALL THE WAY! I love my coil liners (cifferi, martini, etc.) but they're collectin dust since I got my hands on a Rapier2, like using a pen, fast smooth lines, used 5's 7's & 9's, wow! Do yourself a favor and try it \mm/

www.jayblacktattoos.com

Bishopbyname
10-17-2011, 07:30 AM
RAPIER2 ALL THE WAY! I love my coil liners (cifferi, martini, etc.) but they're collectin dust since I got my hands on a Rapier2, like using a pen, fast smooth lines, used 5's 7's & 9's, wow! Do yourself a favor and try it \mm/

www.jayblacktattoos.com (http://www.jayblacktattoos.com)

Just clicked on your website dude. I love Malevolent Creation, The Ten Commandments was one of the albums that got me in to death metal! Sorry for thread hi-jack. :o

shoutingbombs
10-19-2011, 03:51 PM
How does the Treasure Chest compare to the Rapier 2 for lining..or does it?

tattooedpirate2
10-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Works just as well as the Rapier II and if you want a custom Treasure Chest with the Rapier Liner motor for that zippy fast liner.

tugg
10-20-2011, 04:20 AM
Works just as well as the Rapier II and if you want a custom Treasure Chest with the Rapier Liner motor for that zippy fast liner.
would you be able to send me a motor for mine? or wouldn't just increasing the volts have the same effect

tattooedpirate2
10-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Its something I have to do at the shop. Different springs and some custom fitting parts to work right. It takes me a day to fit the parts and break it in to work with the smaller motor.

tattooedpirate2
10-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Springs are done for the Treasure Chest. I'm color coding them this weekend for sale. email me for details @ [email protected].