PDA

View Full Version : Motor info Builders help needed

GuruJeph
10-01-2011, 02:36 PM
can anyone give me some insight into what I would be looking for in motor specs if I wanted to build a rotary for myself? figure someone on here would know more about the relation to the motor and tattooing then someone at a hobby store or radioshack. thanks

GuruJeph
10-03-2011, 03:58 PM
no love?

Administrator
10-03-2011, 04:24 PM
You may not get the answer you are looking for like this. There are bits and pieces posted on the forum in conversations if you find them. There are about a half dozen companies that make motors that many of the builders on this site use. The same companies make probably hundreds of different models and many of the builders on here would probably prefer to keep this info proprietary since some have spent a lot of money doing their own research and development into what motor will work best with the drive system they developed for their machine.

I can tell you that there are builders out there that may sell you a motor that they use since they are usually sold as past warranty replacement parts. However depending on the drive system you want to use it may not always work as well as you want it to as not all motors are suited to all drive systems.

Best of luck.

OwlsDen
10-15-2011, 05:56 PM
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/dirtydovi/PortescapMotorSpecs.jpgI just posted this elsewhere, a builder posted this as an option for rebuilding the swash copy

tattooedpirate2
10-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Radio Shack has a motor that is perfect. I use it in my Cutlass and Blunderbuss machines. Its the 9-18 volt hobby motor part number 2730256.

jesoner79
04-05-2012, 03:10 AM
lol pirate u cant be serious

Sage Oz
04-05-2012, 03:29 AM
I'm pretty sure he is, my blunderbuss had a big hobby can motor. It worked pretty smooth and had a lotta torque, though on the heavy side.

OwlsDen
04-05-2012, 05:16 AM
But the rest of his machines use faulhaber motors from Germany. They are awesome.

Sage Oz
04-05-2012, 05:29 AM
Agreed Faulbauers are excellent motors, on par with Maxon

Amoebadesigns
04-05-2012, 10:39 AM
I played with one of the Radio Shack motors he mentioned and it was big but it does run quite well

tattooedpirate2
04-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Most people won't drop $120.00 on a coreless motor for a tattoo machine. Myself I use them in all my machines. The Radio Shask motors I used them for years in the 80's when they were made by the Tandy Corporation in Japan before the Chinese came on the seen. I had a machine that was 10 years old and never burned up. Big was all I could find that was durable untill I found Faulhaber 5 years ago.

OwlsDen
04-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Man I would love to see some of those early machines. If you ever feel like sharing, I would bet almost everyone here would be more than interested.

Inkslingers
04-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Why not?

jesoner79
04-05-2012, 01:11 PM
its just that ive been looking for motors for what i want to make and i bought one from radio shack just to see how i would design the frame around something of similar shape but ive got a few mabuchi ones but i want something that i can get alot of not a couple here and a couple there its so hard to find the ones i like

fkirons
04-05-2012, 01:28 PM
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/dirtydovi/PortescapMotorSpecs.jpgI just posted this elsewhere, a builder posted this as an option for rebuilding the swash copy

I'm glad that post to photobucket was deleted.

OwlsDen
04-06-2012, 05:01 AM
I'm glad that post to photobucket was deleted.

All it was, was a data sheet for a portscap motor. I wouldn't think a motor data sheet would offend anyone.

tattooedpirate2
04-06-2012, 11:58 AM
You get what you pay for in a motor. You buy a precision motor with roller bearings and a cnc machined motor housing with exact deminsions, you can design your machines the same way. Everything will be a lot easier when you build your machine and it will work the way you expect.

fkirons
04-06-2012, 12:36 PM
The truth of the matter is that the rare earth magnet that the Maxon 216000 uses and perhaps the Faulhaber is manufactured only in china. I've heard this from Maxon itself.
That is one of the reason of why the price of the RE 216000 is so high and varies so much, inflation.
I was disappointed when I heard that but the chinese also have state of the art technology and we sadly can't compete.

Cyberitual
04-06-2012, 02:23 PM
When i first started the Centri i was looking around and faulhaber was the only manufacture that made a motor that i was looking for. The cool thing is that they sent me a free sample of the one i wanted to use. Its worth a call... If not try Miicromo, they are the US distributers of Falhaulber and will most likely send you a sample. Just dont say you heard you give out samples lol let them offer it to you. Now i cant talk shit about radio shack cause they sell the motor that gave me the idea for the inner workings of the Centri. It is dissapointing that the chinese are who they are in the manufactoring world but we have to realize there not going to stop what there doing and no matter what you will always have something in your drawer thats been made by them. I feel the positive aspects of what the chinese have brought to the human race out ways there dirty little business ethics. The world would not be as advance as it is if it wasnt for there hard work and cheap labor. There food is just amazing i must say!