PDA

View Full Version : has anyone gotten the new Shagbuilt d20 ??????

Mr_Bruce
10-14-2011, 01:48 AM
....THIS is my kinda machine from what Im seeing so far....
style...inline slide...good binder set up... nice vice & some killer one-off paint schemes..

Id like to get feedback from users thus far.... specifically on the d20..... hopefully this one ends up in my top drawer soon...

anyone pull the trigger yet???

thetomas
10-14-2011, 02:35 AM
I expect mine in the mailbox any day now, ill give you a feedback asap.

mike h
10-14-2011, 03:10 AM
i have one on its way as well -i'll report back when i get it - a shagbuilt was the first decent rotary i used so i'm expecting good things!

Gabetexas
10-14-2011, 09:48 AM
So jealous! I want one so bad. Mike outdid himself with these machines!

Administrator
10-14-2011, 09:51 AM
I think he had a little help.

Gabetexas
10-14-2011, 09:58 AM
He's part of a huge crew of tattooer/builders. Im sure he did.

Administrator
10-14-2011, 10:20 AM
I meant no disrespect in the comment. The machine is similar to the blitz rotary, he credited the help of Jon Ondo with that build :)

Amoebadesigns
10-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Both Mike and Jon build quality stuff so I'm sure it's top notch. I spent a day building machines with Mike a few years ago when a select group of us machine builders flew to Dallas to tear up Todd Hlavatys workshop with him...we had a blast and made some really cool stuff that day. The "Machine Builders Mafia" was started up from that weekend but it has fizzled out since as we have all drifted many different ways, there was a website up and everything with our "mugshots" and info on how to contact each builder. Jon and I traded machines a few years back in Reno and he make quality stuff. That guy knows his machining for sure!

Administrator
10-14-2011, 11:20 AM
I have spoken to Jon on the phone and he is one stand up guy. Its cool to see these guys all working together and what I meant to point out about the similarities is that is you like the Blitz machine you will probably LOVE the D20.

Gabetexas
10-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Lol you must get bashed a lot man! I didn't mean my reply to come out hard. Lol I really meant it. I'm the goofiest dude. I'll end up posting random crap and you'll see.

Administrator
10-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Nah, its the internet its a big game of broken telephone so I try to tend to tread lightly (particularly with builders, ha). I have a thick skin so goofy will never bother me. That said Mike did credit Jon on facebook for his influence on this particular project. No one on here has one yet and it is a similar drive system to the Blitz (that has proven to be a good money maker for lots of folks on here). I anticipate seeing many happy reviews in the coming weeks hopefully with a comparison review if anyone ends up with both.

Mr_Bruce
10-14-2011, 10:27 PM
well, this feedback ALREADY has me feeling confident.... good sign...

hurry up with them reports guys !!!!

a second question regarding the d20-------

....are u getting a one off type paint job/theme..or a production basic??...that is, if he's making production basics at this point....

mike h
10-19-2011, 05:47 PM
first go using the d20.only used it to shade and colour so far ,but am very pleased with it.the build quality is superb .nice balance ,little bit of weight to it ,no vibration and a very smooth runner.ran it around 8 volts ,it has a nice bit of throw and doesnt have a spring under the slider like the neotat or bishop and there seems to be minimal friction on the slider.machine came very well packed and delivery was quick ,shag sent it to my home address marked as a repair so i didnt get a customs charge on it -contact with shag was great and he kept me up to date with every stage of the build.cant think of anything negative to say about this machine -in fact i think its already me favourite rotary so far.

Administrator
10-19-2011, 05:56 PM
You should get a photo of it up in the top drawer section. :)

Mr_Bruce
10-20-2011, 11:53 PM
any chance u could post a pic of yours???..... also, do u think there will be any need for lubrication on the slide in the future???....

mike h
10-21-2011, 04:43 PM
well here it is -slide is lubricated in the same way as the neotat -using superlube .still happy with it ,i feel that with this one ,inkjecta ,rotary works with a spring and vivace i am finally happy with my line up!

Administrator
10-21-2011, 04:54 PM
The nickel plated parts are a very nice touch. :)
Is the chuck disposable tube friendly for those who don't like to scrub?

mike h
10-21-2011, 05:12 PM
i dont use disposable tubes so i cant say eitheir way -tube clamp is very strong tho!

grey
12-05-2011, 09:46 PM
yes got mine, i have but one "legitimate" rotary. i am into coils machines. but this machine i couldnt resist, i was going to get a neotat but i realized that this has all the attributes of a coil machine, yet the best features of the rotaries i am into. the slide, the nice frame, doesnt look like the starship enterprise. but it does work great and kick some seriously nice and smooth quiet ass. havent lined with it yet, mainly did blending and packing as i just got it....5910you cant tell but it has black sparkle in the motor cannister and the slider. it is seriously impeccibly crafted and runs just as well.....

vsprotoss
12-06-2011, 02:19 AM
I really like the color schemes these come in. I love how these have a Starwars style wear on the frames. I'm sure the performance is good too. Any of you artists feel a difference in performace compared to the Blitz or are they pretty much the same?

slicksteel
12-06-2011, 01:05 PM
I hated the blitz very loud with a lot of vibration when you get it up to the listed working volts and reallllllly slow.Also the back clipcord lugs would not even scew on flush as it has some soldered tabs coming direct from the motor on that wont set flush against the frame.hopefully this one is better.

grey
12-16-2011, 11:52 PM
slicksteel, i hope to hell you are a very good tattooer, cause on here (which maynot be a reflection of of your personality) but you think you know everything, always negative. since when did tattooers HATE machine because it isnt silent. people are one to a stupid level with this rotary rennaisance. i like coils, thank god. I cant hang this technical nerdness.

gangstajay
12-17-2011, 11:59 PM
http://shagbuilt.tumblr.com/

jcarter
12-28-2011, 11:40 AM
slicksteel, i hope to hell you are a very good tattooer, cause on here (which maynot be a reflection of of your personality) but you think you know everything, always negative. since when did tattooers HATE machine because it isnt silent. people are one to a stupid level with this rotary rennaisance. i like coils, thank god. I cant hang this technical nerdness.

http://www.wix.com/evanstattooing/1 take a look yourself grey.

flaco
01-02-2012, 05:07 AM
been doing this for 15 years and the last 3 of them with rotaries. by far the best machine ive ever used..it seems effortless at what ever the case is from lining to the lightest gray wash..need 3 more in my life.

grey
01-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Flaco, I love this machine. i had of course heard of SHAG (BUILT), but a friend and very good tattooer told me how good shags coil machines where. i am a coil guy. but i am at a point where i am pretty much not "experimenting" with coils. i know what builder i can count on and i have lots of different machines from a select few builders. but i got a workhorse rotary, kind of an impulse buy, i used it for about a month, on maybe 6 tattoos. never lined with it. when i talked to shag about him making the first d-20's whatever colors i wanted, and i saw that it had a slide similar to the neo-tat which i was leaning towards, i just love the quality of the d20. It works great for putting in color, blending, i used it for heavy mag use for 3 hours with no break and it didnt even heat up at all, it has extremely great engineering qualities, and he did exactly what i wanted color wise. I think that this rotary will do just fine as my only one (with the exception of some $20 chinese toys ive found that actually work great for filling in large fields of black...i use coils, and d-20 at this point......but i am nobody. definitely my opinion reflects only me, as im not in a position to speak for the industry). and as for slicksteel, he needs to practice instead of coming on here talking about whats what...

Alie K
01-13-2012, 01:21 AM
I hated the blitz very loud with a lot of vibration when you get it up to the listed working volts and reallllllly slow.Also the back clipcord lugs would not even scew on flush as it has some soldered tabs coming direct from the motor on that wont set flush against the frame.hopefully this one is better.

I agree that the Blitz is a slow machine. I didn't like it to line with for that reason. When I spoke to John Ondo when I first got it, he had told me that 5.5 or 6 was pretty average for voltage, and that at 7v, I'd be "cookin". I would mainly use it for slow, large, solid color fields and maybe some peppery whip shading. I enjoy it as an "Americana machine". I didn't seem to have the problems you did with the clipcord lugs, though. Perhaps the Blitz was a good practice run for the d20 collaboration with Shag?

Alie K
01-13-2012, 01:30 AM
and as for slicksteel, he needs to practice instead of coming on here talking about whats what...

Firstly Grey, something I do not tolerate on my forum is trash talk of other members. Especially those who have put much more time into this industry, as well as this forum. My hope is that everyone can be respectful of each other and their opinions.

Secondly, if you really don't want to be a part of the "stupid level" of this "rotary renaissance" because you are a coil guy, you don't have to post here, on a forum that is hugely dedicated to the appreciation, craftsmanship and use of rotary machines. Right now, this is a free forum. I don't charge a fee to be here. If you don't like it, it's not going to cost you anything to leave.

Gabetexas
01-13-2012, 03:15 AM
Man, So much ego, so much talk, not a lot of good work. lol It's hard to keep to myself, but I do it, out of respect to this site.

flaco
01-13-2012, 03:25 AM
heres my baby6743

Gabetexas
01-13-2012, 03:47 AM
That is AWESOME! It's my next machine to buy.

asA
01-13-2012, 11:09 AM
waiting on one right now. Kinda cool he will build it for you however you want it to look. I asked him to make it look as antique and crusty as he can(cant wait to see what it looks like). I use my blitz from time to time for bold outlines on difficult skin and i love it. I'm hoping the d20 has a new feel to it and that i can make it one of my daily workhorses. If not i will still be more than happy to have one of these machines either way.

slicksteel
01-13-2012, 11:15 AM
that is a realy nice lookin machine flaco!

Administrator
01-13-2012, 11:19 AM
waiting on one right now. Kinda cool he will build it for you however you want it to look. I asked him to make it look as antique and crusty as he can(cant wait to see what it looks like). I use my blitz from time to time for bold outlines on difficult skin and i love it. I'm hoping the d20 has a new feel to it and that i can make it one of my daily workhorses. If not i will still be more than happy to have one of these machines either way.

at the very least it does look lighter than the Blitz and a little more weight forward so it would be that little bit more user friendly.

flaco
01-14-2012, 05:00 AM
thanks guys, appreciate it. but for real the sickest machine ever. lots i haven't tried , but 'f' all of them when this one is so sick. huge props to shag. getting 2 as soon as he's back.676667676768 and mainly color and shading on these in progress pieces with it.

Gabetexas
01-14-2012, 05:17 AM
very nice!

flaco
01-14-2012, 05:37 AM
thanks homie. appreciate it. gonna be in texas next week. were is your shop?

The Limey
01-14-2012, 07:21 AM
Really digging the Tibetan skull!

flaco
01-15-2012, 02:26 AM
678467856786here is the rest of it. a tibetan micara and some lotus. and thank you..

triblk6spd
01-16-2012, 09:26 PM
I picked up a D20 at the Austin Convention this weekend. It is my 1st rotary. I did a small tattoo with it today. I was hoping...some of you with more rotary experience esp with the D20 can take some of the guess work out for me. I pretty much experimented with voltages from 6.6 up to 8. The shading went in OK...a little more trauma than I like. I felt I had the needle depth good (maybe even a hair shallow) and I felt my pressure was right in there. Where should I be seeing the best dark shading, light shading and color packing voltage wise? I know its different with everybody...
I wont be using it for a liner until I am more than comfortable with shading and coloring.

I was using an Eikon 7mag in a stainless tube with 3 Eikon rubber bands (3 was more quiet than 2)

I wish I would have taken a picture but I was frustrated knowing that i would have done a "better" tattoo with my coil machines...
Thanks for ANY help Gents.

flaco
01-17-2012, 03:15 AM
I'm flying in to austin on Thursday!!!! What the chances of that? I can't stop by by and go over the the machine, speeds, rubber band etc. Atomic tattoo, right? The owner lives in Gonzales? I'm in Phoenix and kids back home. And for all the other kids she becomes friends with, the one that they're daddy owns some tattoo shops!!!! Love my kids. Small world... My # is 623-866-8514. If anything call for advice. I'm an artist, this typing and spell checking is tarted.

flaco
01-17-2012, 03:16 AM
I mean I CAN stop by. Stupid phone operator

triblk6spd
01-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Lol @ can't stop by! That would be very cool of you. Why Austin? Yep the owner (my Dad) lives in Gonzalez. SMALL world is right! When do you want to come by? I can be there anytime however I work on Friday from 11am till 5ish.

flaco
01-17-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm from Gonzales. Jolie and my daughter, aspen are best friends so she always at your dads. going to see them this week and look for a job in Austin. I started tattooing a long time ago in San Marcos. Austin is where I'm moving to aat the end of the year. But don't mind at all stopping by. I'll bring my machines and let you check em out as well.

flaco
01-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Shoot me a text to this # (623-866-8514) so I'll have your # and so the rest of tattoo community don't have to hear about our kids and hometown BS.

Gabetexas
01-18-2012, 01:05 AM
thanks homie. appreciate it. gonna be in texas next week. were is your shop?
Sorry i didnt see this sooner! I am in Laredo Texas, 3 hours south of Austin. I was gonna head to the Con, but Family needed me here.

Gabetexas
01-18-2012, 01:25 AM
lol OH! not for me! I should have read ahead!

flaco
01-19-2012, 07:44 AM
Lol. Well it was at first. Try to make it that way this weekend. Think I still have a couple of clients there. Always looking for a cool place to guest spot at!!

aeros66
08-30-2012, 04:10 PM
No other input on the d20? They certainly look cool.

asA
08-30-2012, 04:16 PM
No other input on the d20? They certainly look cool.
They are cool. I have one I use occasionally. It's a great all arounder. It excells at color packing in my opinion, but can handle most tasks.

skyisthelimit
11-14-2012, 03:26 PM
the D20 is a great machine.