PDA

View Full Version : just a bunch of coils, but there are some classics.. well i think so..

OwlsDen
10-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Ok here are my primary machines. No rotaries currently. I am on the fence over give or direct drive. Bah, but that is another discussion.

So the two on the left are old superior machines that have been butchered and rebuilt more times than any other machines that I own. The top one I believe is from the 80s or 90s and is thinner than the bottom one which i believe is from the 70s or early 80s. The middle are a pair of Micky Sharpz micro dial, and rotary dial both in bronze. 2008 machines and the micro dial even has moderately low numbers -985-, where as the rotary dial is much higher -3128-. Both with certs and purchased directly through the Micky Sharpz website. To the right is the Micky Sharpz Hybrid in brass and the old Micky Bee Rotary Dial from the 80s or 90s it has much thicker side plate than the current ones. These are just what I keep at my station, I have too many and like most of you.... i always want more. Well tell me what you think..

Alie K
10-18-2011, 03:16 PM
You've got a nice collection there! I don't think I'd ever part with any of those. If I didn't use them every day, I'd put them in a display case to be used on occasion, when the spirit moves me.

Just food for thought - as for rotaries with/without give - many people find that they use different ones for different things. Some find machines with adjustable give too annoying to tinker with, others love them for lining because they feel the most like a coil machine. There are some very reasonably priced ones out there, and occasionally, someone on here will sell a Rapier or the like, which makes for a great "intro to rotary with give" machine at a very good price. I like to think of rotaries the way someone might do tebori. YOU are very much in control of needle penetration, and for less give, make sure you have a good, hard stretch. For more give, ease up on stretching. There are people on here who use 'giveless' rotaries for everything, and enjoy the absence of machine maintenance (other than oiling some moving parts when needed). There are some quality rotaries available from just under $200 to around $350 if you didn't want to start with a large investment - and if you didn't like it, there is always someone to buy it off of you. Just give yourself enough time to adjust to using it before you scrap the idea, and please feel free to start a thread with questions, or pm someone who's work you like that uses a machine you are interested in.

OwlsDen
10-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Thank you so much, I still feel a bit bad that it isn't peppered with a few rotaries yet. I just haven't decided which one will be my first.

Alie K
10-18-2011, 03:32 PM
If you're on here, it means you're intrigued. I'm sure you'll end up with at least ONE in a few months. :)

OwlsDen
10-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Oh I was a few months away for te past year. I am weeks away now.