PDA

View Full Version : Starter Kit!

Olivia
10-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Most of my "starter kit" came today! Aaron Cain machines (Zekonah and Zooliner), EMS 400, Blitz tips, Pulse grips..still waiting on my Fusion Inks.5157515851595160

Dman
10-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Nice kit! not from Worldwide or Hildbrant I presume lol.

Administrator
10-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Your kit did not come with a rotary?

Inkslingers
10-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Your kit did not come with a rotary?

Not yet...I'm starting her off with coil machines till she gets an understanding of everything. Keep an eye out for this girl! I have high hopes for her...she not only has the artistic talent, but the drive!

Tcoe13
10-25-2011, 05:31 PM
That is the most impressive starter kit I have ever seen! So do you think that coiled machines are easier to start with than rotary?

Ta2GeezerUK
10-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Most of my "starter kit" came today! Aaron Cain machines (Zekonah and Zooliner), EMS 400, Blitz tips, Pulse grips..still waiting on my Fusion Inks.5157515851595160

No Way!!!!! ....Thats not a starter kit! ... I mean come on now, Wheres ya black power pack With a gold tiger/lions head on it with 50 bottles of top professional quality Tattoo Ink?? :cool: Dont try and kid me. ....I've seen it on ebay! ;)

Fair do's some real nice stuff in that lot, Your Teacher has it down pat starting you off with Coils. (And fantastic one's at that!) Welcome to the 'REAL WORLD' of Tattoo.

Administrator
10-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Now you just need a simple coil machine like a green monster or a Paco Rollins that can be taken apart when you are not around so you can (forced to) learn how to do speedy maintenance. ;)

Dman
10-25-2011, 06:22 PM
I think you need to start off with coils so that you have that knowledge in your arsenal. Love rotaries but it comes in handy to know coils as well.

OwlsDen
10-25-2011, 06:27 PM
I think you need to start with a frame and learn to make it do what you want.

Inkslingers
10-25-2011, 07:04 PM
These will just be her daily runners...she'll also be learning how to build from scratch ...I'm a firm believer that knowledge is the key. It seems that a lot of apprenticeships today consist of "where you should buy this or that..." as an example, she'll be learning to make her own needles, and will use nothing else but ones that she has made for the first 6 months of her tattooing...for no other reason but I believe an artist should know exactly what constitutes a well made needle from experience, not just someone having told her "these are the best". Granted, if later an apprentice of mine decides that they rather buy premades and put the energy used in making a needle into the actual art, that's cool...but she'll have the knowledge.

Believe me, she'll NEED to know how to build and tune a machine...I'm that dick that will schedule an appointment an hour early only to have an apprentice find their machine in pieces...nah, I'd never do that Olivia!

Inkslingers
10-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Now you just need a simple coil machine like a green monster or a Paco Rollins that can be taken apart when you are not around so you can (forced to) learn how to do speedy maintenance. ;)

For that I just pick up a couple of National Jonesy frames and have them build from the frame up...I'd rather have them use a frame that they actaully tattoo with when their done! Sorry, I just think the Green Monsters are a bad joke!

Inkslingers
10-25-2011, 07:18 PM
That is the most impressive starter kit I have ever seen! So do you think that coiled machines are easier to start with than rotary?

Not a matter of what's easier or even better (not going to open that door!), it's just a matter of knowledge. An artist should know (in my belief) everything about their craft...I just decided to start Olivia with coils, felt that going the other way would be working against the grain I guess.

Administrator
10-25-2011, 07:23 PM
For that I just pick up a couple of National Jonesy frames and have them build from the frame up...I'd rather have them use a frame that they actaully tattoo with when their done! Sorry, I just think the Green Monsters are a bad joke!

Only mentioned those cause there are so many rolling around in the bottom of people's drawers. Maybe they where more common up here cause Eikon is in Canada...

Inkslingers
10-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Only mentioned those cause there are so many rolling around in the bottom of people's drawers. Maybe they where more common up here cause Eikon is in Canada...

As much as I like Eikon, some of their stuff I just don't get..the Monster being one...true springs being another! I like building off National frames, makes a nice machine and the geometry works well for a full size smashed back liner. I saw someone asking that was buying Green Monsters up on here...apparently they ARE good for something! lol

Alie K
10-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Not yet...I'm starting her off with coil machines till she gets an understanding of everything. Keep an eye out for this girl! I have high hopes for her...she not only has the artistic talent, but the drive!

It's rare nowadays for apprentices to actually have drive! I've seen too many come in and out of the shop I've been working at for a year - it's pretty sad how they want everything handed to them because they go to the local art school and some professor (who I'd like to kick in the head) is probably telling them that they're going to make 'bank' by being a tattooer!

I totally think ANY apprentice should have coils - just to have a good solid knowledge of them. I know too many tattooers who've got no idea how to deal with a coil machine that 'breaks'. They put it in the drawer and just buy a new one (and sometimes it's something as simple as adding or removing some shims!)

As much as I like Eikon, some of their stuff I just don't get..the Monster being one...true springs being another! I like building off National frames, makes a nice machine and the geometry works well for a full size smashed back liner. I saw someone asking that was buying Green Monsters up on here...apparently they ARE good for something! lol

I'm a HUGE fan of the Green Monster for apprentices! Yeah, it kind of sucks for a machine that you'd use day in and day out, BUT I think it's a great learning tool. If you want to see what a bigger cap does, switch it out. Want to see what a stiffer spring setup does? Swap it out. Try a heavier or lighter a-bar or one with more or less rise - no problem! There is no bending of springs to slow someone down. As long as they are taught the basics, it's so easy to switch things up and get a good understanding of what the different components on a machine can do (and it's super easy to take off an insulating washer so the machine grounds out and forces the apprentice to troubleshoot and see why their machine is not working without 'ruining the mojo' of a perfectly tuned 'real' machine). I have one that's floating around the shop as a training tool/spare machine for my coworkers who want to fiddle.

wildboy
10-26-2011, 04:24 AM
very humble starter kit ^^

Mr.Taboo
10-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Man thats one top shelf "starter kit" .