PDA

View Full Version : Treasure Chest first impressions.

OwlsDen
11-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Where to start, hmmm.... it's pretty, lighter and smaller than I expected. It is a well thought out machine no doubt. I don't know if it is a standard thing to put silicon tubing over the needle bar ( armature bar seems an out of place term here ) but i noticed that the needle fit so tightly I did not need a rubber band, and this was with a liner. There is however a sense of vertical vibration, but I did have the top screw almost all the way in.

As far as working goes it is a dynamite color machine, it is almost exactly how I have my primary coil shader set up. Definitely a comfortable switch for color instantly. The only difficulty I am having is how quiet it is. I have heard some say that it is very quiet and others say that it is loud. I thought mine was very very quiet. Lining is a little different. I now understand what others had said before about how slowing down makes faster. I have always felt a slight urgency with my day to day coils liner, not uncomfortable but always an er of caution. This machine however makes me slow down just a hair, relax and one pass it is good. Better than I thought for first pass on an elbow even. I am sure that the rapier would be an even better liner. I think in time I will look for another machine for lining, but for now I think slowing down might be good. You never know though, this is day one. Tomorrow I might want to go back to coils for lining.

The only issue i am really having at all is my clip cord cover.. i can not get it to stay on an rya cord. It tends to slide down... i don't want to use a rubber band as then it is just a pain to get back off.. Also I have noticed that my RCA slides off and the tube vice is a little tight. I expected those from the forum.

lining at around 10 volts, and shading at 9.7

Brilliant machine Cary, i will be ordering the spring set soon.5546

turnrock
11-15-2011, 12:47 PM
does the build quality remind you of a handgun? i swear it can transform into a glock lol.
if the vice is tight its probably your tubes.i was just talking about this with one of my friends last week. chinese tubes are not made to the same specs as american say a Dringenberg tube. this machine is probably built to fit those types of tubes just like how a Aaron Cain, Seth C and allot of quality builders tube vices will all seem too small if your using cheaper tubes.quality machines are built to work with quality tubes.i bought about 15 kingpin tubes and had to file out a couple of my tube vices to fit them..that sucked

tattooedpirate2
11-15-2011, 08:26 PM
The funny thing is we use all imperial measures and there are so many different tube manufactures it's hard to keep it middle of the road on the tube vise. We are opening the hole up a couple thou on the next batch. For the handgun look we are firearm guys and think weapon on everything. The machinist we use manufactures firearms and accesories. I have some new designs coming out that are going to be even more weapon looking and ergonomic.

slicksteel
11-16-2011, 12:01 AM
If you use a better made goldplated rca cord(extra plating makes a tighter fit) or the talon brand it will stay on just fine.

OwlsDen
11-16-2011, 05:27 AM
The funny thing is we use all imperial measures and there are so many different tube manufactures it's hard to keep it middle of the road on the tube vise. We are opening the hole up a couple thou on the next batch. For the handgun look we are firearm guys and think weapon on everything. The machinist we use manufactures firearms and accesories. I have some new designs coming out that are going to be even more weapon looking and ergonomic.

I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

OwlsDen
11-16-2011, 05:30 AM
does the build quality remind you of a handgun? i swear it can transform into a glock lol.
if the vice is tight its probably your tubes.i was just talking about this with one of my friends last week. chinese tubes are not made to the same specs as american say a Dringenberg tube. this machine is probably built to fit those types of tubes just like how a Aaron Cain, Seth C and allot of quality builders tube vices will all seem too small if your using cheaper tubes.quality machines are built to work with quality tubes.i bought about 15 kingpin tubes and had to file out a couple of my tube vices to fit them..that sucked

The hand gun thing, yeah a little. Just means that it feels good in the hand right?

With the tubes, i have an odd collection of tubes. Some are from Lucky and Diversified from back when i lived in Florida, some i got from Unimax, a few from CAM, a few from technical... and a few that i don't know where they came from. I am sure that as i go along that some will fir better than others.

OwlsDen
11-16-2011, 05:32 AM
If you use a better made goldplated rca cord(extra plating makes a tighter fit) or the talon brand it will stay on just fine.

I have one on the way to me, but I am going to try and fine some RCA jacks that are plated. i like to make my own cables when I can.

OwlsDen
11-16-2011, 03:53 PM
So I did some more lining with it today. Well maybe a lot. Outlined a half sleeve. Easy stuff flowery Girl stuff, but it was great, I wish it was a little bit faster but I really liked it. I had my voltage up around 10.7 ( I almost never turn anything up past 10.4 ) and like I said it could have been a tad faster or a tad harder hitting. But it felt very close to perfect. It is my understanding that I should not go past 11 volts. Is this true? How bad would it be to go to 11.4?

tattooedpirate2
12-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Its good to 12 volts the motor people say it'll take a lot but it shortens the life over 12 volts

ckjr
12-03-2011, 04:34 PM
I make my own cables too, I always use gold plate parts. better connection and it looks cool:cool: heres what I do....... I poke through the cover in 1 corner then I roll the cover snug around it and secure it with med or scotch tape to itself not to the connector. this way when its plugged in it wont slide down, but unplugged it will still slide off easily. I subbed the scotch tape with green masking tape so you could see it easier in the pic586558665867

tugg
12-03-2011, 05:22 PM
I had the same problem with the rca on the tc but all my other machines were ok. I found if you squash the end of your cord connection with a pair of pliers so it is slightly oval it makes a tighter fit

OwlsDen
12-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Yeah I did that, I even put a bead of solder on the lip of the plug on the RCA cable. Nothing has worked so I use a rubberband around the body to hold it on, by feeding a loop of the cable through the band. It isn't pretty but it works. I have a new end to solder on that has cuts to crimp in for a tighter fit. If it still gives me issue, I am going to copper plate it.

tugg
12-04-2011, 09:17 AM
I acutally think on mine it was the internal hole that the peg goes into was too big.

OwlsDen
12-04-2011, 09:49 AM
I think so too, no way of fixing that easily. Aside from replacing it. I do have the right security key to open up the back somewhere. I could see what kind of plug it has and order a new one.

Ta2GeezerUK
12-04-2011, 10:00 AM
I had the same problem with the rca on the tc but all my other machines were ok. I found if you squash the end of your cord connection with a pair of pliers so it is slightly oval it makes a tighter fit
Yep this is the way to go! I got about 6 Rca cords knocking about here and on some machines the fitted snug on others a bit loose. I just very slightly pinched the end so it was slightly out of shape. Absolutely no chance of em slipping off. In fact on a few of em ya have to fight with it! These are just Radio shack 1's too! so no Gold plating etc!

The Limey
12-04-2011, 11:12 AM
If you can't be bothered to source the parts to make your own, Eikon's gold plated RCA lead grips everything I've tried it with and so far has survived me rolling over it repeatedly.

OwlsDen
12-04-2011, 11:31 AM
I will have to see if anyone carries the lead over here.

DiarrheaSuitcase
02-28-2012, 01:52 AM
I make my own cables too, I always use gold plate parts. better connection and it looks cool:cool: heres what I do....... I poke through the cover in 1 corner then I roll the cover snug around it and secure it with med or scotch tape to itself not to the connector. this way when its plugged in it wont slide down, but unplugged it will still slide off easily. I subbed the scotch tape with green masking tape so you could see it easier in the pic586558665867

I got an opportunity to try your method tonight... thanks for sharing this, I like it WAY better than taping the cover to the rca itself. Its little tips like this that help save time and energy and I appreciate it!!

ckjr
02-28-2012, 02:19 AM
I got an opportunity to try your method tonight... thanks for sharing this, I like it WAY better than taping the cover to the rca itself. Its little tips like this that help save time and energy and I appreciate it!!

thanks and you're very welcome. its the little things that make the biggest difference sometimes.

peter clements
02-28-2012, 04:25 AM
Off topic here ,but I like your bottle racks. I could do with something nice & tidy like that.

ckjr
02-28-2012, 04:39 AM
yeah they're great. They hold 32 1oz bottles on each. When I go on the road I just saran wrap everything together and drop it in a garbage bag. They both fit in the bottom of my roll around. I got them from walmart in the spice racks. Now I use the spice bottles for nuts andbolts. I screwed the caps to the bottom of a shelf so I can twist on/off the bottles.

Neo
03-08-2012, 12:02 AM
I just got a treasure chest from cary today and this machine is solid. Best machine i held yet :) I will have a review soon im having wifi problems on a shit phone until 2moro