PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium Armature Bar

Clone Boy
11-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Now folks. Is there anyone who knows of a aluminium armature bar on the market as i cant find any.
I know aluminium isnt magnetic but me and a friend have designed one that will, and should work,(fingers crossed).
My friend who is actually building it is a wizard at engineering so we can pull this backyard project off.
We dont claim to be machine builders and its just a little experiment.
We will stick photos up when ones done but if its been done before then please let us know so we can forget the idea completly.

Cheers folks... :p

OwlsDen
11-21-2011, 05:36 PM
I haven't heard of one. But you would have to toss in a ferrous slug for it work. Something like the ferrous yoke under the coils on a non ferrous frame. How much weight would you save over say a cut down speed bar? What is the advantage? I would think the softer aluminum would strip out easier too. Unless you put a steel insert for the spring screw.

Clone Boy
11-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Evening Den.
The threads for the screw would definatly be an issue as we all know what ally grips are like after time. hmmmm first issue.
The bottom of the bar was going to have a silver strip flushed in for it to conduct with the coils.
As for speed! Well,We will soon find out if we pull it off but like i said its just an idea that came up earlier this evening while talking in the garage and thought we would give it a bash...

OwlsDen
11-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Sounds interesting let me know how it goes

Cyberitual
11-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Mine are made of Aluminum, I have them made specially, there not like your typical ones. Not bad though if you buy alot of them you can get them for a reasonable rate. You can place steel threaded inserts into it for a stronger threading.

turnrock
11-21-2011, 10:35 PM
Evening Den.
The threads for the screw would definatly be an issue as we all know what ally grips are like after time. hmmmm first issue.
The bottom of the bar was going to have a silver strip flushed in for it to conduct with the coils.
As for speed! Well,We will soon find out if we pull it off but like i said its just an idea that came up earlier this evening while talking in the garage and thought we would give it a bash...
? silver is a non ferrous metal and the coils dont need to conduct with the abar at all..im lost.

OwlsDen
11-21-2011, 10:39 PM
The coils must magnetically attract the abar to creat linear motion. So a ferrous abar is very important. It has nothing to do with conductivity.

Inkslingers
11-21-2011, 10:51 PM
The coils must magnetically attract the abar to creat linear motion. So a ferrous abar is very important. It has nothing to do with conductivity.

What he said...

turnrock
11-22-2011, 03:02 AM
im wondering if hes just explaining it wrong. you could also make this abar out of some type of molded plastic and maybe it can absorb vibrations while its going fast.

No Iron Machines
11-22-2011, 07:40 AM
HEY CLONE BOY, but u talking about ARMATURE BAR for coils machines?
impossible work that is not MAGNETIC MATERIAL, the only way u have for ALUMINIM ARMATURE BAR, is put a insert of IRON inside where the HEAD of the coils touch the ARMATURE BAR, that's all

but not realy have to much sense have ALUMINIUM A.-BAR, for what? for go more fast? probable the machine like that gonna run more than 160 HZ, is to fast, no good for tattoos

U EVER BUILD MACHINES BEFORE ?

OwlsDen
11-22-2011, 07:57 AM
Not to forget that a soft metal will have some flex to it. It can also be weaker where the inserts are for the coils. Is the point to try and make a low voltage machine? Because No Iron makes a good point, it could run too fast. You may need a larger capacitor an run it at lower voltage. Then you have maybe a quieter machine that runs fast at low voltage. It is a lot of work. I am curious about what you are trying to do.

Dan Kubin
11-22-2011, 10:55 AM
if you want it to be lighter, just mill it out...then you don't have to mess with threaded inserts and laminating strips of steel and what not.
technically, you need a bit of meat on the a-bar to make the magnetic connection better..
but who needs coils anyway. lol

OwlsDen
11-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Yeah, it is a strange conversation for a forum about rotaries. I like it though, it's fun to ponder these things.

Nedz
11-22-2011, 02:20 PM

This is a cut down A-Bar

OwlsDen
11-22-2011, 03:10 PM
There is the old cycling term you can use for making things lighter ;-) make it out if "drillium"! Take the same old a-bar and drill holes in it until it's as light as you want it to be.

hendricksonart.com
11-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Seems pointless and silly to me, the plastic with metal could work for vibration sake but I dont think it would improve anything.

Inkslingers
11-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Funny...I already don't like the way most aluminum framed machines sound...can you imagine how one would sound if an aluminum a-bar were even possible? Ouch!

Administrator
11-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Funny...I already don't like the way most aluminum framed machines sound...can you imagine how one would sound if an aluminum a-bar were even possible? Ouch!

It would also likely hammer its self into some kind of deformed mushroom in short time. There are many clever and aesthetically pleasing ways to weight weeny an armature bar. You can shop around or ask one of the coil builders on here to make you ultimate in form and function.

fkirons
11-22-2011, 05:22 PM
I have made two protos, its an aluminum armature bar with a 1018 Cold rolled steel of about 1mm.
I dound no point to do that as you can always shave down an armature bar to get rid of weight.
The two pieces aluminum one made that machine nosier and less consistent.
The a bar on a coil machine needs some weight.

Clone Boy
11-22-2011, 05:57 PM
HEY CLONE BOY, but u talking about ARMATURE BAR for coils machines?
impossible work that is not MAGNETIC MATERIAL, the only way u have for ALUMINIM ARMATURE BAR, is put a insert of IRON inside where the HEAD of the coils touch the ARMATURE BAR, that's all

but not realy have to much sense have ALUMINIUM A.-BAR, for what? for go more fast? probable the machine like that gonna run more than 160 HZ, is to fast, no good for tattoos

U EVER BUILD MACHINES BEFORE ?
If you read the 3rd post then all your answers to this post are there and no, i have definatly not built machines before.....haha

Clone Boy
11-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Before my backyard banter with my buddy of making an aluminium abar began, i was drilling my metal abars.
My friend who is not a tattoo artist/builder, but a whizz at building custom cars came up with the idea for food for thought. Hence, why i wanted to bring our thoughts to the table here for us to do exactly what where doing. Discussing our tools of the trade....