PDA

View Full Version : Oil to use on rotarie machines???

chizzle
11-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Hey guys I have a few rotaries that require oil and i was wondering if anyones found an oil thats sutable from the local hardware store or pharmacy? i was thinking about using mineral oil on my swashdrives but i dunno if it too thick or if it would gum up or not?

otto
11-22-2011, 06:59 PM
you can use 10w or 15w synthetic motor oil

OwlsDen
11-22-2011, 07:15 PM
I have heard some builders recommend silicon lubricant.

Inkslingers
11-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Rem Oil (Remington gun oil), you can find it at most Targets, Walmarts, etc. Very easy to get your hands on.

chizzle
11-22-2011, 08:52 PM
you can use 10w or 15w synthetic motor oil

thanks otto! i believe i used 10w in my truck in the summer so when i do my winter oil change ill be sure to save some of the used motor oil, should give my machine more of an coil machine feel with the carbon build up and all.

Jim
11-23-2011, 01:03 AM
If you don't want to deal with wet and oily you could always opt for graphite on slider type machines. Swash bearings are almost identical to skateboard bearings...I am not sure what race design is used inside their bearing though, if it's the typical metal cage design like in skateboards or the plastic type. Either way any type of lubricant oil should be o.k. I'd avoid anything light like wd-40 though, it would make the grease they are packed with break down and run out making a nasty mess.

Alie K
11-23-2011, 02:01 AM
I use superlube. I get it in the hardware store. It comes in a pen style. My swash came with a graphite type oil, so maybe it would be best to check with the manufacturer just in case. Some insist that only certain things are used on their machines.

peter clements
11-23-2011, 07:13 AM
I use superlube. I get it in the hardware store. It comes in a pen style. My swash came with a graphite type oil, so maybe it would be best to check with the manufacturer just in case. Some insist that only certain things are used on their machines.

Superlube do this aswell http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SYNCO-SUPERLUBE-MULTI-PURPOSE-SYNTHETIC-OIL-1-x-4oz-/200474541277?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ead36bcdd .I have this and their synthetic grease ,and that to me covers all the bases for Rotary maintanence.

tattoosbybill
11-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Superlube do this aswell http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SYNCO-SUPERLUBE-MULTI-PURPOSE-SYNTHETIC-OIL-1-x-4oz-/200474541277?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ead36bcdd .I have this and their synthetic grease ,and that to me covers all the bases for Rotary maintanence. definitely super lube used it on my bishop and neotats works beautifilly

Dan Kubin
11-23-2011, 01:45 PM
I use tri-flow on mine

chizzle
11-24-2011, 12:21 AM
cool, thanks for the info guys!

Sage Oz
11-24-2011, 08:55 PM
I replaced the bearings in my, and my coworkers swashdrive gen 6's(3 in total-1 is a metal body) with white ceramic skate bearings(they're the same size) and lube with ceramic bike lube. Smooth and creamy:cool:

Jim
11-27-2011, 04:57 AM
I thought they were the same size as a skate bearing...I imagine the only reason they need lube in the first place, is the high rpms centrifugal force pulls all the grease in the bearing to the outer side...at least that's my best educated guess.

Sage Oz
11-29-2011, 01:51 PM
They aren't enduring very high rpms compared to what they are rated. The centrifical force only
puts the oil into the outer race as the balls roll through it, so not much lube needs to be added, like once a month...
The abec5 ceramic bearings I used are straight skate bearings and are really overkill for a tattoo machine as the rpms arent very high, but they are lighter and about 10X longer lasting than steel. Maybe less resistance for the motor too? Plus they look cool all white. Because they are skate sized bearings they are made in higher numbers than other ceramics so the price isn't too bad at all if you shop around. I got an 8pack for about $40