PDA

View Full Version : SS dragonfly vs. coil for b&g

Mike.p
11-28-2011, 07:07 PM
I have 2 ls dragonfly's and I'm considering either turning one into a SS or selling one for a Aaron Cain coil. My question is for the people who have used the Ss dragonfly how does it compare to a coil for b&g. And also whats the comparison between the ls and Ss dragonfly's for b&g.

gangstajay
11-28-2011, 08:09 PM
I sent you a message on FB

stickboie
04-21-2012, 01:47 PM
i know its a old thread, but i would like to know the difference between the LS and SS Dragonfly as well. i thought they only had one kind. im thinking about picking one up and for the money i wanna be sure im gonna get the one i need. Thanks

Sage Oz
04-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Only difference that I know of is the cam, SS(short stroke)is for B&G and the LS(long) is for color and lining. Also the SS machines tend to get envious of the LSs when they both have to change in the locker room.

thesmokingmirror
04-21-2012, 06:00 PM
I have a Nedz short-stroke I use for B&G it does an awesome job. Its not a dragonfly but I figure they are somewhat comparable

Bishopbyname
04-22-2012, 04:52 AM
I have a Nedz short-stroke I use for B&G it does an awesome job. Its not a dragonfly but I figure they are somewhat comparable

It is a great machine, hopefully the updated machine will be even better!

peter clements
04-22-2012, 05:22 AM
The short stroke DF is a great machine full stop, it specifically excels at B&G. I honestly think there are a few rotaries that are better than coils for B&G they're so much more consistent and well balanced,and they just seem to be getting better and better.

skinmech
04-22-2012, 05:57 AM
I still run a Coil sometimes, for B&G, we all run Machines differently, but I like my Coil, to run Fast and Hit Soft for B&G...Which will be interesting, as one of the next Machines I will be Reviewing is a Roman HM, Adjustable Short 2.6mm Stroke Santamaria..(That I traded with Sinnersink)..If you guys want, in the Review I will include a comparison with Short Stroke Rotaries, against Coils for B&G...

JohnnyChaos
04-22-2012, 06:10 AM
I have 2 ls dragonfly's and I'm considering either turning one into a SS or selling one for a Aaron Cain coil. My question is for the people who have used the Ss dragonfly how does it compare to a coil for b&g. And also whats the comparison between the ls and Ss dragonfly's for b&g.

I found the long stroke was noisier and had more vibration. The shorter stroke seems to smooth that out but it doesn't pack ink in as fast which in all makes it easier to use on black n grey.
I've used it for a bit of colour blending too with good results, but lining was painfully slow.

Sage Oz
04-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Shork stroke rotaries are not very good at lining imo unless it's really tight skin like a calf

JohnnyChaos
04-22-2012, 08:15 AM
I was surprised tho cos the stroke is the same as the old hawk and that's great at lining

Sage Oz
04-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Perhaps the dampening and motor torque comes into play here, dampening tends eats up your extra stroke length.