PDA

View Full Version : Rotar

throwhammers
11-29-2011, 04:51 PM

Arrived today. Cant wait to try it out!

It is small, like seriously small. And light.

I wouldnt want to drop it for fear of breaking or bending parts of it. It looks like every part of it has been trimmed to the bare minimum. Build quality seems good, but it's tough to guage because its so light. The side cut outs on the motor are just a little sharp, but i don't think it will be a problem.

The tube vise, which i thought was rather nice does not seem to tighten down enough on my tatsoul tubes to keep them from slipping a bit though. I have other tubes at the shop, this is just what i had on hand. Maybe the others are better, or maybe it wont matter. I will update after i use it a bit.

No information about voltage range is included with the machine (but it comes in a little plastic box with stickers and some tips on what not to do with it)

Alie K
11-30-2011, 01:22 AM
Nice looking machine! I have trouble with machines and disposables unless it grabs the stems guillotine-style.

Sage Oz
11-30-2011, 03:28 AM
I've got one in the mail too, soon as I get it it's getting some workout testing and a review here.

OwlsDen
11-30-2011, 07:28 AM
It is pretty, I am sure if it doesn't work out for you, half the people here would be willing to take it off your hands. Haha, I hope it works out well for you. I can't wait to hear your experience with this one.

throwhammers
12-01-2011, 05:27 AM
Quick update.
I plugged the machine in, turned it on, and for three glorious seconds it hummed away quietly. Then it stopped working and just made my clipcord really hot.

I have contacted Rotar, he said he has never seen that issue before and said I can return it for another. Which I intend to do. Still excited about this machine, even after this little setback though... Its so damn light!

Rotar
12-01-2011, 08:11 AM
That was my first experience like that. all i know is the tube vise is the only thing we have to develop more to make the vise lock better since the female lock should be tightened for the male to lock. and we have to improve that... and also the connection jack to transfer out from its main frame. this one we have no more issue left on our side. These SHIFT* are brought out to the Berlin Show. It also comes with a FREE "Rsquared" 3.5mm Jack w/ round cord. Our new lineup for accessories like standard grips, hawk-sized grips, footswitch, cords and others. . . :)
5834 5835
5836 5837

Cyberitual
12-01-2011, 11:51 AM
I love your work rotar! Beautiful design...

slicksteel
12-01-2011, 11:53 AM
That was my first experience like that. all i know is the tube vise is the only thing we have to develop more to make the vise lock better since the female lock should be tightened for the male to lock. and we have to improve that... and also the connection jack to transfer out from its main frame. this one we have no more issue left on our side. These SHIFT* are brought out to the Berlin Show. It also comes with a FREE "Rsquared" 3.5mm Jack w/ round cord. Our new lineup for accessories like standard grips, hawk-sized grips, footswitch, cords and others. . . :)

5834 5835
5836 5837
Hey Nin will mine look like this version?

Amoebadesigns
12-01-2011, 02:39 PM
They do look fun and futuristic. Neat stuff!!!

Rotar
12-01-2011, 09:36 PM
thank you amoebadesigns, chriss dewitt right from facebook? hahah. Not yet Mike Slick, i sent yours and its coming close to you already. this one will come out by december 2nd week hopefully. :) Thank you Mike Cyber. :)

slicksteel
12-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Hey Nin that is cool, but is there anyway to get the new updated swash plate for mine when the new model comes out? If I like this one i most likely will by the new one two.

Rotar
12-02-2011, 04:21 AM
hi mike slick, soon we are going to produce new swash set, piston and needle pin for all those who purchased the early versions. including twistlock female with a non-slip wrench type design for better lock performance on our older version, this first shift version will still be available and will never be phased out and will be improved better, specfically on the female lock, on the lower portion of the dual adjustment, and on its rca or connection jack. we will soon be producing parts by set. to convert the old version in to the same funcionality with the new. :)

Amoebadesigns
12-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Yeah I'm Chris DeWitt on Facebook...here I'm my alter-ego Amoebadesigns muhahahaha!

slicksteel
12-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Hey Nin that is realy nice to do that! as alot of companys forget about there past customers that took a chance with them in the beginning.
Are you going to make any more of the rotar stance ones? I thought it was cool for a basic swash rotary and had a sweet looking chuck-maybe that one could be sold at a lower price to get people into your swashstyle rotarys.

Rotar
12-02-2011, 12:31 PM
yeah it could be nice too but handbuilt took us very slow to produce for stock. i could do that again but not now... maybe soon. its a good idea though. thanks mike and chris... :)

Sage Oz
12-10-2011, 05:47 PM
I second that, the guillotine vise is pretty unbeatable in clamp designs when done well. I like the look of the first design as well. Looking forward to using my Rotar soon.....

Sage Oz
01-10-2012, 07:08 AM
Trying to be patient....
Really want to put slam some ink in Rotar style;-)

Mission Tattoo
01-10-2012, 04:55 PM
what is the price on these machines?

Tat2dPinoy
01-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Another to save for?! dammit :D

throwhammers
01-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Still waiting on my machine. It's been over three weeks since it shipped. No response from Nin to my pm's.

cyclopstat
01-20-2012, 10:29 AM
i have one and not too happy with it! Can't lock my tube! and RCA connect is so loos! can't put deeper!

slicksteel
01-20-2012, 11:10 AM
i have one and not too happy with it! Can't lock my tube! and RCA connect is so loos! can't put deeper!
I think nin is going to offer the upgrade parts free of charge-a new top cap/cord mount & cord ,new tube chuck nut ,etc.
The machine shop he deals with bumped his parts pack as they were behind on another large order from another company because of the holidays.

throwhammers
01-21-2012, 12:59 PM
Ok, here is an update to my original post:

After I got the first machine (which stopped working after 3 seconds) I contacted Nin and he said he would replace it with a Shift if I sent it back.

I sent the machine back, but didnt want to wait over a month for the new one, (as he said he would ship the new one when he received the broken one) so I bought another machine, so he could send it right away, and then send me my replacement when he received my broken machine. So, now I had 2 machines coming to me.

Nin told me he would have new machines in the first week of december and ship me my 1st machine then. I waited. On the 24th of December I got a pm from him to confirm my shipping address. I confirmed and waited. Nothing has happened since.

I have emailed him and pm'd him several times since with no response. I still have no machines. And he still has my money. I have opened a dispute with paypal.

I hope anyone else who decides to deal directly with Nin, or is already dealing with him has better luck than I did. I am out a fair amount of money at this point and suspect I wil never see it or the tattoo machines.

DavidEngbaek
01-21-2012, 01:23 PM
hopefully he reads this....there is alot of potential buyers in here, that might not buy from him now...If you read this Nin ..get your shit together we are your customers.

OwlsDen
01-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Wow, sorry to hear that. Well if that much bad is happening we might not hear from him on here. Maybe someone should contact the administrator to get more contact information for everyone.

throwhammers
01-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Yeah, I almost didn't post anything in here, but I was hoping it would at least give people something to think about before dealing with him and possibly get some sort of response from him.

Also, I did send him messages suggesting i would open the dispute, and then one more telling him I was doing so before I opened it, just to make him aware of it.

The Limey
01-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Is Nin still selling them on eBay?

DavidEngbaek
01-21-2012, 01:50 PM
ive been on the fence with Rotar also..i'll look at one his machines, and out of no where an updated better one has come out. I've been in this forum now for almost 2 years, and i've seen about 5 versions of this machine.i want the best product some one can offer.....ive messenged him questions..and if i get response, its usually a case where a fair amount of time has gone by.
i realize i'm not his only potential customer, but i am A potential customer....seriously think about this..
computers, laptops,smart phones , and tablets are every where...there is no reason why a person cant reply to questions, in a reasonable time...
i dont care how busy a person is there is always time to take care of customers.
Big deal your at a convention....most conventions , or the Hotel you stay in have WIFI .
Nin go look in your facebook..take a look how many times i've sent a message and havent gotten a response..
Nin needs to see how Cary from the tattooedpirate does business...Cary offers awesome service and an awesome product...

DavidEngbaek
01-21-2012, 01:51 PM
at least if he's selling them on Ebay..it forces him to be accountable for his delivery and products

No Iron Machines
01-22-2012, 12:43 AM
HELLO

so this machine is good or not ? some of yours guy have ever ben in PHILIPINE ? have u ever see how they done tattoos there ?

i been there one time a couple of years ago to meet a famous tattoo artist in MANILA, him organize TATTO CONVENTION there, well, is nice counrty, but very far from to be the right place about TATTOOS...so im not sure about developed TATTOO MACHINES there

JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION, OF COURE, HOPE IM WRONG AND HOPE THE MACHINES ARE GREAT, I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE ONE FOR MY COLLECTION TOO...

slicksteel
01-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Hey throw hammers are you going to get your machines after all?

elbo
01-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Doesnt give me much confidence in trying one....one to avoid by the look of it?...saw one on ebay and thought"no dont go there!"

DavidEngbaek
01-23-2012, 12:04 PM
i saw the one on ebay last week...i put a bid on it...kinda glad now that i was outbid.

RedEyedDemon707
01-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Same story here.....I sent Nin money for two machines back in December. I was told they would ship the following week. I was getting my emails answered and was told they had already shipped. Now my emails do not get answered and it is starting to look like Nin is taking more than one of us.....This really sucks donkey-dick... Even more pissed I had to use this as my first post..Anybody thinking of buying a machine from Nin, might want to think twice first.....

throwhammers
01-25-2012, 11:30 AM
I tried to call him today. No answer on the number he gives on the website. I left a message (not that that will do anything) and sent him another pm.

I suspect I will never see the machines or my money. I know there are a few other people on this forum in the same boat as me.

I genuinely hope people think twice before trying to buy a Rotar machine. Unless of course you want to throw your money away.

STong
01-25-2012, 01:56 PM
one of mine can't lock all my tube at all....

DavidEngbaek
01-25-2012, 02:03 PM
try Nin on Facebook..he's updating a status every so often...so he's gotta be around.

throwhammers
01-25-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm sure he is around. He just isn't responding to emails, pm's, or telephone calls (or sending out the machines he has "sold" for that matter).

DavidEngbaek
01-25-2012, 03:11 PM
according to all his facebook status... he's at Conventions.

No Iron Machines
01-26-2012, 10:06 AM
here have some pics of the ROTAR open, i find in FACEBOOK, square motors

hey ROTAR, u are TATTOO ARTIST ? u ever build TATTOO MACHINES before this one ???

OwlsDen
01-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Look like mabuchi motors to me. Nothing wrong with that, although I guess he was charging a whole lot for such a cheap motor.

Alie K
01-26-2012, 10:28 AM
I contacted Nin from Rotar myself. He DID get back to me - sadly, he said that he was affected by the flooding in December and is trying to clean up from that among other things. He told me the machines were sent out, and apologized for not being able to get onto the forum (he is limited to what he can do online) to answer your concerns.

So, fingers crossed the machines get to you all soon, and hopefully, once things calm down over there in the Philippines, he will be online more and will get things taken care of.

As a general reminder, if there are deals that go sour, or there are problems like this, please send me a message so that I can try to take care of things. Again, I hope things start to smooth out - I don't want to do anything 'harsh' just yet, as I don't know for sure what all the details of his situation are.

throwhammers
01-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Thanks Alie K.

I was aware of the flooding there, Nin actually mentioned it in mid/late December. He said everything was ok with him and he was sending the machines. That was the last contact I had with him.
If things have changed for him I can understand and I empathize.

Hopefully it will work out for everyone involved (Nin included of course).

Alie K
01-26-2012, 11:12 AM
He said that because of his limited internet use (maybe he's only able to access by phone? and this forum really isn't set up for that, sadly) he hasn't been able to get on here. He DID says the machines were sent out, and because of no computer, couldn't post tracking? I don't know, but he said they SHOULD arrive sometime next week.

I also asked him for a phone number where he may be able to be reached and that there were members with machine repair issues that needed to be sorted out. Hopefully he didn't lose his machine shop with flooding also.

DavidEngbaek
01-26-2012, 01:01 PM
my suggestion is Look at the Rotar facebook page... its statust has been updated alot..he's got axis to the internet just fine.
he's selling Solar powered power units ( yes thats what i said)
hem healing products
and showing off the latest Machines.

I'm not accusations, but i say buyer beware

Sage Oz
01-26-2012, 02:54 PM
I won one on eBay in mid November, of course its still not here. When a product is listed on eBay it is supposed to be a real item in stock ready to go. I'm not into paying for his future r&d or bills on the promise that his machines will get made and shipped someday. After the few rare, sporadic and contradictory replays from him I am not convinced that he has really sent my machine(he said he sent it last week but no tracking #), and I am going to try to get a PayPal refund. At this point I'd rather get a real machine from a reliable and honest builder who will stand behind his product.

Alie K
01-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Ok, here is some more correspondence I have had with Nin from Rotar regarding not answering his phone:

"Ah, i was tattoing that time, and after the ring, we were done with the entire session, and i notice when i check my phone, there was a swiss number in my missed call, but i didnt take my phone off my pocket. Yeah because sometimes i cant login in the forum. Still I use the same phone number +639302668577. The tube of that old rotar shift version is wrong in design for the lock. but it can still lock when u tighten them, hold the machine head and twist the lock, because the lock has a flaw in design, it cant hold your fingers, and we are improving better. Thanks everyone for the support."

The message was sent to me on facebook, maybe he is using his phone to do updates?

Sooooo, if you still have a problem with a machine, maybe he is not ignoring people? I can't say for sure, I want to see how this pans out. If anyone gets a machine that was promised to them, please inform me. If something was sent, and you happen to have a tracking number, perhaps opening an investigation with the postal service will get you some results.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt when I can. In the mean time, I'll keep letting him know that there are some very angry people on the rotary forum.

vsprotoss
01-27-2012, 12:16 AM
sigh.

throwhammers
01-27-2012, 01:09 AM
The first machine I got a tracking number that I could never track, but it came eventually. For others I got no tracking number at all.
I tracked the one I sent back and it entered the philippines on Dec. 15th. after that I cant track it.

slicksteel
01-27-2012, 01:42 AM
Ok so I just chated to nin via facebook and here is the tracking number for SAGE OZ: EE300663087PH
go to http://www.ems-tracking.net (http://www.ems-tracking.net/) guys if you have a tracking number.
Nin says if you have the old shift he will exchange it for the new one.

Sage Oz
01-27-2012, 04:26 AM
Thanks Alie, I'll cool off and give him the benefit of a couple more weeks, it'll probably show up tomorrow and run awesome, look beautiful and be in the preferred colors i wanted and have none of it's predecessors' small flaws and I'll look like a total dick.

RedEyedDemon707
01-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Nin sent me a tracking number as well.....However there is nothing as of yet to track...I hope this just works out for everybody.

Alie K
01-27-2012, 10:47 AM
It's a good sign that he is willing to swap out the older model shift(vice that doesn't grab the tubes?). Since it takes so long to get machines for some people, if you need that exchange done to get your machine working (even if it's just to sell it on ebay) I'd find out from Nin if he can just send you the part if that's possible.

If anyone has their OWN experience with the Rotar machine (good/bad or otherwise), and wants to start a NEW thread reviewing it, I always encourage that. Sometimes comments left in one large thread tend to get lost, and newer members can have difficulty searching for info on a specific machine they are considering purchase of.

slicksteel
01-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Ok ,so if your in the USA and have a tracking number from rotar you can use the first site I posted after about a week or so to see if it has left(sometimes customs & local post is slow)-once it is here you will be able to track it on this website:http://usps.ems-tracking.net/
(http://usps.ems-tracking.net/)This has worked for me before to keep me updated.

throwhammers
01-28-2012, 08:18 AM
What facebook page have you used to get in touch with him? Not the Rotar Machine page is it?

slicksteel
01-28-2012, 12:50 PM
here ya go throwhammers:
https://www.facebook.com/ninnerity

cyclopstat
01-28-2012, 07:38 PM
one of mine can't lock all my tube at all....
Same a thing I got!! And really noise !!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150618591617994&set=a.10150580700672994.445209.735887993&type=3

vsprotoss
01-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Got scammed. Crap motor in a nice body. It's like sticking a pinto motor in a porsche body. Still can't drive.

e_Bangs
01-29-2012, 11:24 PM
i cant find this online to buy no where!

e_Bangs
01-30-2012, 12:58 AM
what size is the motor and could i swap it with a neotat motor or something?

e_Bangs
01-30-2012, 01:17 AM
im on a samsung galaxy s2 using this forum most of the time

Sage Oz
01-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Another Monday and my Rotar still ain't here. Going on 2 1/2 months. Sigh.
On the positive side I just scored a nice tattooed pirate blunderbuss for $100 :)

OwlsDen
01-30-2012, 05:45 PM
On the positive side I just scored a nice tattooed pirate blunderbuss for $100 :)

If that blunderbuss doesn't do the trick for you, I will buy it from ya!

Alie K
01-30-2012, 06:38 PM

In case you were unaware, paypal only gives you 90 days to make a claim (at the longest). I'd hate to find out that someone took your money and never sent a machine.

Sage Oz
01-31-2012, 06:17 AM
Sorry Owlly, I'm too stoked on the bus to give it up anytime soon. Spent a few hours today tearing it apart cleaning rebuilding and modding it and adding a RCA. Now it looks good too. It runs killer, if you find one cheap snatch it up.

OwlsDen
01-31-2012, 06:24 AM
Sorry Owlly, I'm too stoked on the bus to give it up anytime soon. Spent a few hours today tearing it apart cleaning rebuilding and modding it and adding a RCA. Now it looks good too. It runs killer, if you find one cheap snatch it up.

I will, I have a line on a rapier one I am after. I find out tomorrow if I am getting it.

throwhammers
01-31-2012, 10:48 AM

Didnt you get a tracking number recently?

Sage Oz
01-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Didnt you get a tracking number recently?

I do have a tracking number thanks to slicksteel but it doesn't have any results on either ups or ems(i just tryed both again) so it's probably not real. Lame.

slicksteel
01-31-2012, 02:17 PM
I do have a tracking number thanks to slicksteel but it doesn't have any results on either ups or ems(i just tryed both again) so it's probably not real. Lame.
yea that tracking systems is slow to show(as it is most of the time stuck in customs/sitting to be delivered) but when it gets to the states it will show within about a week of delivery on the usps one.
I just checked mine and it is being processed to go out. yours prob will show up in a few days and be on its way hopefully.

slicksteel
02-03-2012, 02:54 AM
So happy! my new rotar(latest updated and fixed model) just cleared customs today and is in frisco should be here in a few days!!

aurelien
02-03-2012, 03:22 AM
GG ! Let us know how this one run ?

slicksteel
02-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Looks like it is in route today so should be here today or the next-that is only ten days to get here
After some thought(in which i was also quick to judge) I realy do think Nin was trying make a good machine afterall -Upon talking to Nin/rotar I just think he spread him shelf to thin, he also had problems with the company machining the frames-they pushed his back due to other products being made and delayed.Their was also a major disaster right next to were he,company family & friends live in which alot of people died-I do think he jumped the gun on getting the first shift out before doing more R&D, but I thank he will make it right for everybody in the end by offering the upgrades if you have been using it or the new one if you sent it back right away before use.
In regards to the motor their are plenty of builders that use that same brand and charge around the same price.
just my two cents:)

RedEyedDemon707
02-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Yes!!! As I sat here reading Slick's post guess what showed up at my doorstep? Both my machines have finally showed. I'm seriously stoked this is all working out. Thanks Nin. I'll post a review after I use them.

throwhammers
02-03-2012, 01:53 PM
I hope your machines are great.

I on the other hand, finally got in touch with nin, and he said he gave slicksteel tarcking numbers for my machines and to keep my eyes open for them this week. I, of course, checked with slicksteel who said he got only tracking numbers for his machines and sage oz. (and i got no machines this week)

I messaged nin again and said he could give me the tracking numbers. Two days later and no response. I sent another message today asking for my money back. Im tired of being given the run around, ignored, and lied to. Ive been dealing with this since the beginning of november when I ordered the first machine.

If I ever decide I want to try a Rotar again I will buy only from a reseller. But I've had enough of this.

If I get my money back it will probably go to a machine from a builder with a better reputation. Maybe another centri...

slicksteel
02-03-2012, 02:35 PM
I am sure they on there way,maybe it was just a mistake.:)

Sage Oz
02-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Mine just showed up, and it's awesome! Black w/ gold trim. Came with its own very nice matching 1/8 to 1/4 phono plug. Finish is very good with only a couple sharp edges that needed a quick file. Seems to run great, quiet, smooth with only a hint of give. Vice works really well on my tatsoul disposable tubes. I'll post a review after I get some time on it. Gotta say I've got my foot in my mouth a bit here but if Nin had only been more up front and communitive I wouldn't have minded the wait so much. Hope you get yours soon as well Throwhammers...

throwhammers
02-04-2012, 03:24 AM
Pff...
Guess what showed up this morning?
Yeah. 2 machines. Finally.
Won't know if they work until Monday.

Looks like Nin came through in the end, and it only took a month and a half and a half dozen forum members (including the owner) pestering him to make it happen.

First thing I notice is it is 1/8" power ONLY. Which means my Kraft Akku is out and i have to set up my critical. And if I want to use another machine I have to have another cable laying around and switch the cables.
... Already ordered an adapter.

OwlsDen
02-04-2012, 07:33 AM
I hope that they work out for you. I am glad everyone is getting their machines. I was begging to think that we weren't going to hear any happy stories.

elbo
02-04-2012, 08:31 AM
still a terrible set up to chance spending money with...i hope the machines dont reflect the piss poor quality of customer care shown by rotor?

throwhammers
02-04-2012, 10:26 AM
The machines actually look really nice. The smaller plug makes it look really streamlined (but I think it should come with an adapter and I would gladly sacrifice the look for a more universal connection) and the tube vise works, and again, is pretty streamlined. The one thing I didn't like about the last one was the cap on the top had only one screw so it seemed like it was not secure. That is fixed here. Completely redesigned. I don't know about functionality yet, and yes, customer service (if you can call it that) is absurdly bad.

slicksteel
02-04-2012, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=throwhammers;27401]The machines actually look really nice. The smaller plug makes it look really streamlined (but I think it should come with an adapter and I would gladly sacrifice the look for a more universal connection) and the tube vise works, and again, is pretty streamlined. The one thing I didn't like about the last one was the cap on the top had only one screw so it seemed like it was not secure. That is fixed here. Completely redesigned. I don't know about functionality yet, and yes, customer service (if you can call it that) is absurdly bad.[/QUOTE
Its pretty easy to get an small adapter at radio shack for a couple of bucks -I had one for my first neotat that had his same kind of plug-converts it to rca.

On the service end I think Nin/Rotar just feel into alot of problems that were out of his hands such as the weather problems(I believe some people he knows died as the disaster struck right in the area were he lives and works),and delays by the machine shop that set it back about 3 weeks.-sure he should have got back quicker(he did answer me within a few days on facebook know that i look back at it)but the guy is only human and made some mistakes but seems to be trying to set things right-in fact most company that sell you a product that has some problems will only fix them not send you a whole new better model for free.
Hey we all make mistakes now dont we? I myshelf out of human nature jumped the gun and let anger get the better of me.
Just my two cents.:D

Sage Oz
02-04-2012, 02:04 PM
I gotta say too that I got caught up in the mob mentality on this one. My machine came yesterday and I got to do 3hrs of black and color work(with a curved and chisel angled textured 5 mag)on my buddy's old biomech piece that we are reworking and my initial impression of the machine's ability is very high. I immediately was comfortable with it, one little voltage adjust and i was smiling from ear to ear the whole time. He however said it was more painful than the swashdrive gen 6 that i had used last time. The only mishap was one of the setscrews for the return spring vibrated out, I'd suggest putting some medium loctite on them. The whole time it ran really smooth and saturated extremely well. It is a bit fragile looking, but is very nicely designed and manufactured. I'll test it's abilities in lining hopefully today and give a better review after I've had more time with it.

slicksteel
02-04-2012, 02:39 PM
maybe it hurt a bit more because you were going over old tattooed skin? Yea they do seem to be made realy well and put together alot better. they do seem to run very smooth and quiet-I have seen some killer work done with this model.Wish i could get down with no give machines-althoe this one looks to have just a tad-maybe that is why it works so well.Maybe i should keep it afterall.:)

The Limey
02-04-2012, 02:50 PM
He however said it was more painful than the swashdrive gen 6 that i had used last time.

Although its only slight, the Swash does have a tiny bit of give even with the hard clip, which might account for him thinking it was more painful. You could try relaxing your stretch a little to compensate, I think it was Gaston or Franco that called this method something like using the skins natural give.

throwhammers
02-05-2012, 07:35 AM
If I were in the states I would just run to radio shack for an adapter... But Switzerland is a bit different. I managed to get one, but it took most of the day and I had to go to like 5 different stores.

Yeah we all got our machines, and yes, Nin is only human. There were issues out of his control, BUT all he had to do was respond to a message or post here (and I mean before there was any natural disaster) and be up front and honest "Hey man, I'm having production problems the machines will be late..." or whatever, and all would have been ok. This situation was very poorly handled and could have easily been taken care of early on.

But, it's over now. Lesson learned. Now to focus on these machines!

slicksteel
02-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Yes I think he is on the ball now he has been replying to me right away. ;)
How has the rotar been working for you throwhammers?

throwhammers
02-06-2012, 04:34 AM
I dont know yet, I had saturday off... Ill find out today though. How many volts have you been running your machine at? I notice mine seem to start kinda slow and then warm up a bit and the speed increases.

slicksteel
02-06-2012, 10:32 AM
I dont know yet, I had saturday off... Ill find out today though. How many volts have you been running your machine at? I notice mine seem to start kinda slow and then warm up a bit and the speed increases.
I have not tattooed yet with mine-ran it for 10min to make sure all is well with it before i get rid of it due to not wanting any no give machines as I use coils alot and it is just to hard to keep going back to a nogiver one-althoe it seems to have a small bit of give-which seems to make it tattoo well according to sage oz. It seems to have a breakin time of about 5min because of tight tolerences-then it will start at lower volts.

Sage Oz
02-06-2012, 01:45 PM
I ran mine for about 15min before tattooing with it so it was broken in I guess, I didn't notice any change , maybe it was already prebroken in or that 15 was enough I guess. I did another two small color tats with it on Sat and it performed just as well. I did noticed that the cylindrical slider piston has a lot of play in it and can turn(twist) sideways freely about 10 degrees or so. Not a big deal though once its set up and runnin. I did have a couple stalls when trying to restart after a pause. Turned out the drive was getting wedged at the bottom of the stroke if it was stopped at that exact position. I added a bit more spring tension by turning in the set screws one turn each and problem solved. I ended up using a tiny dab of wood glue(I couldnt find my loctite) on the set screw threads to keep em snug.

OwlsDen
02-06-2012, 01:56 PM
So aside from the adjustments needed, how did it tattoo?

Sage Oz
02-07-2012, 08:05 AM
So aside from the adjustments needed, how did it tattoo?
It ran awesome. I really love it so far. The chuck is still a bit time consuming to use as it's kinda tough tightening it up while keeping tube aligned, though not a big deal. The tube vise grips well enough(works alot better if you grease the threads) and is totally low profile. Overall I'm really happy with the Rotar, but we shall see what the longevity is like. I'm definately keeping mine for now!

slicksteel
02-07-2012, 12:38 PM
they look like a neuma2 chuck/vice

Sage Oz
02-08-2012, 04:54 AM
Except the Neuma has the collet male part attached to the frame and the tightening chuck nut screws onto it. On the Rotar the collet screws into the frame. Difference is that on the Neuma, when you tighten the vise, the tube stays aligned with the frame, while on the Rotar when you tighten the nut it wants to spin your tube as well. Makes it harder to set up, but not a huge deal. I'd rather it was like the Neuma, or better yet just a nice guillotine vise.

slicksteel
02-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Yea but if the collet broke on the rotar you could just replace that part with out trowing away the whole frame which would be a plus.:)

Sage Oz
02-08-2012, 01:40 PM
True. But I wonder how many collets on neumas have ever broken. Probably 0. Funny, because the Rotar looks like it'd break if it was dropped or looked at wrong lol. I do love the machine, but sure wouldn't mind another 10grams of aluminum on it. Mine weighs in at 54 grams. Might be the lightest electric tattoo machine made. I also wouldn't mind a different slider , maybe square instead of round so it couldn't twist laterally. Sure it would be harder and costlier to machine, probably why it's round.

throwhammers
02-08-2012, 02:05 PM
I bought mine because of the weight (or lack thereof).

The last version (the first one i had) had the collet on the outside and it screwed onto the frame. The tubes wouldnt turn when you tightened it, but it wouldn't tighten enough to hold the tube.

Also, if you arent careful when you set up the machine you can very easily puncture or tear a glove on the sharp parts on the back (yes, I know a file will take care of that, but I don't want to file the anodizing off)

Its been said before i think, but I feel like these machines are changing every couple of months, and the changes are not minor. I think one needs to be settled upon and carefully refined. Not overhauled every time. Though I do applaud the effort, enthusiasm, and ingenuity going into these machines.

Sage Oz
02-09-2012, 12:51 AM
I carefully filed all the edges on mine right after the first use. I have to customize everything I own, damn OCD.