PDA

View Full Version : Question for DanDanTheRotaryMan?

slicksteel
12-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Hey Dandan do you ever use flats with those directdrive types? I sold that roy richardson one with out trying one as i had heard that you can only use rounds. I do have a cheap china one that runs the same way and loaded a 15 flat mag in it yesterday and did notice that it will go up and down fine with out hanging up but you do get a side to side stroke like dale said. Does thes work to an advantage with shading or do you just stick with rounds? I don't realy like round shaders much except for some soft no-stroke direction rendering.

rotaryworks
12-14-2010, 04:30 PM
hi michael you can use a mag in any machine even roys machines are you talking about flats or mags..... flats do tend to chop the skin with a rotary my opinion that is i use open mags textured i think they go with rotarys like cheese and pickle open mag all the way i think hit me up michael if need rotary info be pleased to help cheers dale

slicksteel
12-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Na don't use regular flats anymore but have been trying stacked flat mags but i mainly use the regular weaved mags in bugpin for bng and standard #12 for color. i use short to long taper to. I have not tryed textured all thoe i have heard they are good for color workHow are they for lining? i do tend to like bolder japenese work.
On your machines what stoke do u like the best the short or long and which one do you color/line and shade with? I am going to sell some of my coil machines or would you do a trade?

rotaryworks
12-15-2010, 05:32 AM
i use my machines for both line and shade and solid colour i use 00 liners gives me a blacker line more solid ...........what machines have you got i dont mind a trade

Alie K
12-15-2010, 09:13 AM
i use my machines for both line and shade and solid colour i use 00 liners gives me a blacker line more solid ...........what machines have you got i dont mind a trade

OO liners? I'm used to seeing #8, #10 and #12 gauge needles. Is a 00 a bugpin (#8)?

Alie K
12-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Hey Dandan do you ever use flats with those directdrive types? I sold that roy richardson one with out trying one as i had heard that you can only use rounds. I do have a cheap china one that runs the same way and loaded a 15 flat mag in it yesterday and did notice that it will go up and down fine with out hanging up but you do get a side to side stroke like dale said. Does thes work to an advantage with shading or do you just stick with rounds? I don't realy like round shaders much except for some soft no-stroke direction rendering.

I'm curious to hear where you found out that you can only use rounds in the Roy Richardson machine. I've tried some direct drive rotaries before and have been able to use rounds and mags in them. Some people say you have to bend the heck out of your mags when you load them in the tube if using a direct drive or they'll bounce around. I know that the first time I used a direct drive, the ink spit all over, and I think that bending the needle helped - I don't remember.

rotaryworks
12-15-2010, 11:07 AM
ok i dont know the def size of the 00 but they are still long taper but a thiner needle same as a fine b+g mag but for lining .....i know all these needles have dif sizes like 12/8* and all that i know them as 00 hope this helps google it me thinks

Dan Kubin
12-15-2010, 11:14 AM
I haven't had an issue with ink spitting. Well, once, but it was probably the solder job on the needle or the way I bent it.
You have to pay a little more attention to the needle bar and how it is bent or riding in the tube. If there is too much of a bend, it will hit the edges of the tube. some tubes are extra thick, which would not be a good choice when running a can rotary.
With mags, it seems to naturally push the needle to the edge of the tube. if it doesn't, you may just need to adjust the rubber bands a bit.

it's funny. I hear mixed comments and reviews on direct drive rotaries...and not everyone is going to like them. For me, I am on a honeymoon of sorts with them. I like their simplicity and the fact that they can adequately perform every task I throw at them. It's also cool because it is the same concept as something you'd find in prison, which makes you look hard..(especially if you wrap them in black electrical tape and use a bic pen for your tube.)

Another kind of machine which I would like to make or use would be a rotary with "give."
I used one that Ugly Bill made, and it worked amazing.. a machine like that will be my future mistress...but that ol' trashcan of a rotary is the one I'm married to!

slicksteel
12-15-2010, 12:13 PM
If i remember right 00 is in usa terms a #10 bugpin and a 000 is a #8 any they usally have a short or long taper. You know i had just read on every website that sells directdrive rotary to use rounds. Now i think about it i dont know why i assumed this to be true and did not test it with mags with the roy machine-i regret selleing it now as i never realy gave it a chance. It had such a nice motor setup and felt real balanced. alothe dan i like the fact that yours have rca and a stem-rod motor mount instead of a plate as it seems like with the plate you do not get the right tension around the needlebar as it goes around it then stretches to the sides-when i had it tight enough it would break the rubberbands after about 20.I could see where the play could make a more randomness to the shading maybe makeing it no so stiff and thaught out. Dan what type if needles setups are you getting good results with in your machines?

Dan Kubin
12-15-2010, 04:15 PM
I like using inquisition needles best.
they make a medium tight 5 that I have been using the most of. (for versatility) I can fill without trauma or line without too much of a brushy look.
-for me, they really shine when using small needles. I never had a coil machine that I felt comfortable using a super tight 5 or 3 with.
If I want a fat line, I use inquisition loose 7 liners which look like a decent 9 line..if not bigger
for liners, they are not so good when you get over 7 needle groupings.

As far as mags go, I use anything of any taper or size and they work fine. I really like using big groupings like 15's with them.

so for me, they shine most with big mags and small liners.

for the rubber bands, I use one and double it up around the post. It gives quite a bit of tension that way and allows me to have a shorter machine.