PDA

View Full Version : My First Back Piece - Bishop Rotary

SheINKs
12-15-2010, 12:27 AM
My first backpiece....I used the bishop rotary!! Yea buddy!!662663664

slicksteel
12-15-2010, 12:52 AM
Was the bishop used for the whole tattoo? and how many hours did it take? Nice smooth blends suprisinga rotary can do that what is your secret?lol

SheINKs
12-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Hi MICHEAL!

When I did this back piece I was only using the bishop for my shading and my mickey sharpz as my liner! I was very new...hence my first back piece... so the overall back took about 80hrs all together!! It was for an air force fella!! BOMB client...once I lent my bishop to another tattoo artist at our shop. My client cut the sitting short becuz he couldnt take the coil machine....WWAAAHHH said it hert too much....he'd rather come back another night I have the Bishop!! LOL Love the dude....awesome client....now he flys out from Seattle to work on his leg sleeve!!

No secrets....just patience!!

slicksteel
12-15-2010, 01:11 AM
the shading looks realy soft did you use a premixed set of blacks or make your own?

Glen-P
12-15-2010, 01:16 AM
I really dig this! Nice job!

SheINKs
12-15-2010, 01:20 AM
Thanks Glen!! :)

Yea I always do the 5 caps. full black, six drops, four drops, two drops, water!

Makes it easy on me!

Alie K
12-16-2010, 01:34 AM
Looks really nice!

You know, I don't know why people tell me that it hurts less when they are worked on with a rotary machine.

gangstajay
12-16-2010, 02:04 AM
I here the same thing..I had the guy who worked for me do my knuckles with my gen 6.. and it didnt hurt..much different, and this cat is not gentile.he was trained at atlantic tattoo in jersy.old skool. he never used a rotory b4. and the dam things stayed..used 7 liner for it.

SheINKs
12-17-2010, 01:26 AM
It does hurt less. Especially lining hurts less in comparison to a coil machine. Either way....i love the ouch!

The Limey
12-17-2010, 06:23 AM
Really nice piece, I especially like the gal on the left and the air plane!

slicksteel
12-17-2010, 03:37 PM
On that nice back piece what part was started first with the rotarys-would be intresting to study the pic and see your progression as you leared the ins and outs of the bishop and refined your tecniques with them. Also i believe coils hurt more to line is they scoop the needles in the skin more so you get a bit more tug n slice in the skin more rotarys tend to be more like you would tattoo with hand tools. I think coils are better for old school 4 color old school tattooing were you are just trying to hammer in big fields of color and fast whip shading ala get them in and out quick.I think people want more refined art these days and that is why there has been such a big surge in color portraits, undershading and subtle color blending with smoother black gradiants. I like the fact that more younger painters and mixed media artists are getting into tattooing and thinking out of the box.I feel with out this tattooing would have not progressed like it has in just the last five years.I wish i was so open minded when i was younger and felt that if i would have been around more like minded people i would have been 100 better as a tattoo artist.

Dan Kubin
12-18-2010, 07:46 PM
That's a pretty legit piece...especially for a 1st back piece...looks like you've been tattooing for 10 years.

blkngrey
12-25-2010, 03:03 AM
the reason why rotary machines hurt less is a matter of physics. the coils tend to "bog" down on the skin therefore needing another pass to complete desired effect therefore hurting more due to an aggrivated second, sometimes third pass..the rotary machines are so pungent and dynamic with each puncture that larger and more thorough areas of skin are covered in a usual one pass..hence the formula as to why also rotary tattoos are completed faster than coils..this can all be scientifically proven but a normal tattoo machine intelligence will prove to make complete and total sence and any customer of mine that has tasted in getting tattooes from both coil and rotary machines will attest to the noticeable difference!

Alie K
12-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Hey, weren't we commenting on 'sheinks' very first backpiece? Very nice black and grey. I think she did a great job.

the reason why rotary machines hurt less is a matter of physics. the coils tend to "bog" down on the skin therefore needing another pass to complete desired effect therefore hurting more due to an aggrivated second, sometimes third pass..the rotary machines are so pungent and dynamic with each puncture that larger and more thorough areas of skin are covered in a usual one pass..hence the formula as to why also rotary tattoos are completed faster than coils..this can all be scientifically proven but a normal tattoo machine intelligence will prove to make complete and total sence and any customer of mine that has tasted in getting tattooes from both coil and rotary machines will attest to the noticeable difference!

Wow. I don't agree with that at all. Color blends done with a single pass? I'd certainly yell at an apprentice for trying to get away with that. Maybe it's just my technique, but whether I do black and grey OR color, my tattoos are always built with layers. Sure all machines are made differently. Some coil machines are 'slappier', some have 'zero compression', some hit like jackhammers and are made for large configurations. All tattooers tattoo differently too. Some are really aggressive, and some 'have a light hand'.

I've got a super-boggy custom black and grey shader made by Juan Puente. It's zero compression. I layer like crazy with it. My clients barely turn pink, and sometimes doze off depending on how I have them positioned. Even with all the layering they still tell me how much less it hurts than when other artists tattoo them, and the tattoo heals fine. I also layer with my rotaries. Unless it has to do with what you do with what you have, I think a lot of it is psychosomatic (or my machines are pure anomalies).

Who's up for posting machine theories in the 'relay vs rotary' thread? (FYI - I might move all following technical opinion posts to the new thread as I see them posted).

gangstajay
12-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Iam with you on moving this..I actually started a thread about this..its titled question for the builder.

thejackco
05-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Awesome work, what are your settings for that soft shading with big groups in the bishop

Sage Oz
05-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Incredible backpiece, excellent work on all levels!

Sinnersink
05-10-2012, 06:06 PM
I think rotaries hurt less than coils aswell.

slicksteel
05-10-2012, 06:47 PM
I think rotaries hurt less than coils aswell.
this one sweet back piece ,i think rotarys hurt more for color or shade but coil liners tend to hurt a bit more but most of the time work much better.

tattoosbyjamison
05-13-2012, 01:02 AM
very nice!!