PDA

View Full Version : marksman rotary review

tattoosbychriselement.com
12-21-2011, 05:57 PM
I will be receiving my new marksman rotary hopefully in a few days, i just recently got it but since i was one of the first i believe, of the first batch like any other company/machine there was a flaw/problem .But thanks to ted (merky) and his super fast customer service everything is going to be sorted out.I am going to ship my machine back to have it fixed. and right a full machine review and post the pics of the piece .I am planning on using it for a colored portrait. stay tuned!

Dreviltattoo
12-21-2011, 10:24 PM
what was wrong with it?

merky
12-22-2011, 01:08 AM
rca wiring ,thanks chris for understanding.

merky
12-22-2011, 03:49 AM
chris here your new baby with a gold rca plug and a set srew upgrade to lock it in place. http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/marks1972/IMAG0784-1.jpg

IMAG0784-1.jpg

12-22-2011, 09:12 AM
siiiick man cant wait im sending the other machine out today to the union st adress thats on the back of the box

12-22-2011, 11:17 AM
sent out the other machine to the eureka ca adress i put attn ted/rick the tracking is 0309 1830 0000 4616 8588

Gabetexas
12-22-2011, 11:36 AM
super nice looking!

merky
12-22-2011, 01:18 PM
sent out the other machine to the eureka ca adress i put attn ted/rick the tracking is 0309 1830 0000 4616 8588 ill have your tracking in hours or two sending it next day.

merky
12-22-2011, 05:27 PM
here is the tracking # 1z950x330241689921 ups

12-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Hey ,man I'm having the same troubles with the machine I recorded a video also so u can see if I'm doing nothing wrong

merky
12-31-2011, 10:28 PM
check you fb messages i sent you some info.

fkirons
01-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Hey Mark did you manage to send mine. No rush just asking since you asked me for the address a couple of weeks ago.
Take your time and happy new year and success with the new machine.

merky
01-02-2012, 12:02 AM
I sent you a paypal request for the rest of the money and didnt get it so i thought you were busy and would get to it when you wanted it. sorry about that i just running around trying to get the convention going and tattooing allday then rushing home to make machines, I dont know how you do it lol ,
Hey Mark did you manage to send mine. No rush just asking since you asked me for the address a couple of weeks ago.
Take your time and happy new year and success with the new machine.

fkirons
01-02-2012, 06:44 PM
I sent you a paypal request for the rest of the money and didnt get it so i thought you were busy and would get to it when you wanted it. sorry about that i just running around trying to get the convention going and tattooing allday then rushing home to make machines, I dont know how you do it lol ,
I was convinced it went through because you told me that machine was ready to ship. Check. I remember sending the payment.

merky
01-03-2012, 04:59 AM
pm the email you sent it through .

merky
01-03-2012, 05:20 AM
here is what i got.
I was convinced it went through because you told me that machine was ready to ship. Check. I remember sending the payment.

merky
01-06-2012, 04:06 PM
If you got your machine please post you got it , it helps the ones that havent and please tell them the dates that they were marked on your package so ppl know i sent them out when i said. thanks Ted p.s flat rate will never happen again.

Administrator
01-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Flat rate boxes especially international will take a while, its apparently a huge lost leader promotion for USPS.

DavidEngbaek
01-06-2012, 05:12 PM
i got mine....got to use it for a quick outline yesterday....i think itlll be a better shader just because t tech cartridges cant expose enough needle for my liking..
runs like a Top...i'll update again when i can use it in a better tattoo

OwlsDen
01-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Someone mentioned putting an o ring around the cartridge to get more adjustment. Maybe that would work for the marksmen too.

DavidEngbaek
01-06-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm not sure how that would work, but seriously if you could get more needle exposed , which is no fault of the machine it's cartridges . The machine back in side might do the trick.
I'll try it tomorrow..

merky
01-07-2012, 05:45 AM
Someone mentioned putting an o ring around the cartridge to get more adjustment. Maybe that would work for the marksmen too. i like to see a pic of what your talking about.

Stylus Machine
01-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Got my Marksman during the week and did this piece with it..
lining was a bit tricky, but shading was awesome.
i gotta rock it on a few more tattoos to get used to it..

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=325795794121920&set=a.183242985043869.40712.163111793723655&type=1&theater

OwlsDen
01-09-2012, 09:20 PM
i like to see a pic of what your talking about.

So would I, I think it was in a thread asking for help with the Chinese hawk.

OwlsDen
01-09-2012, 09:56 PM
I went looking for the post but I can't find it. Maybe it got deleted.

The Limey
01-10-2012, 01:31 AM
I went looking for the post but I can't find it. Maybe it got deleted.

Wasn't it about how to reduce the needle hang on a "Chawk" as it has virtually no adjustment vs the Hawk?

OwlsDen
01-10-2012, 06:35 AM
Yes sir you are correct, well it was to increase adjustment. It would only possibly make sense now that you mention it to reduce hang. Although where the cartridge would sit should not change much if at all as it locks in. I don't know, I don't have a "chawk" so I may never understand.

throwhammers
01-13-2012, 04:52 AM
My Marksman arrived yesterday. Took about 2.5 weeks to Switzerland.

It doesnt look quite like the ones people have posted pics of, rather it is all black enamel, and has no fins or ridges on the motor housing part.

The Limey
01-13-2012, 05:45 AM
Got my Marksman during the week and did this piece with it..
lining was a bit tricky, but shading was awesome.
i gotta rock it on a few more tattoos to get used to it..

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=325795794121920&set=a.183242985043869.40712.163111793723655&type=1&theater

Well, looking at your Buddha it doesn't look like you had difficulty with anything at all mate including lining. I look forward to seeing more from you with the marksman!

The Limey
01-13-2012, 05:46 AM
My Marksman arrived yesterday. Took about 2.5 weeks to Switzerland.

It doesnt look quite like the ones people have posted pics of, rather it is all black enamel, and has no fins or ridges on the motor housing part.

By the sound of it, you might have received the updated version. I'm sure Merky will pop on and clarify though.

DavidEngbaek
01-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Fist off i'm not fond of the design that was used, and the chick wiggled around a bit..i normally do a lot Higher quality than this.6761
my review is based on the actual use of the machine
i did a small tattoo, a very simple design today, with my Marksman.
i used TTech.
first thing i noticed it feels awkward for lining....not bad just awkward...after all its a completely different machine than i'm used to. i'm not used to having such a large grip, so i noticed my wrist getting a tad tired after an hour.
i used it for a lil Black and grey shading, and did a lil colour blending in the tattoo. i was happy with that.
the sound i think can be deceiving, for the speed of the stitch.
My thoughts are its gonna be better for larger tattoos than small or medium...so it definitely will have its place.

OwlsDen
01-13-2012, 04:18 PM
That is a great small review, you touched on my most nagging question. And that is how would it be to line with a machine that is so small but has such a large grip? It seems like you would naturally hold it a bit different from a normal machine set up. I imagine if it had a slightly smaller grip it would hold more like a sharpie than what I am guessing must feel more like a magnum marker. I personally don't mind a large grip if it is soft. Do you wind up holding it slightly differently or do you hold it the same.

DavidEngbaek
01-13-2012, 04:32 PM
one quick add on to my review....i adjusted the needle depth for the shader only....i cut the tip on the liner, so i get more needle exposed for lining.
so adjustment really wasnt an issue. i worked as low as 7 volts for shading and as high as 9 volts , for lining... might be too much at 9 volts, like i said the sound is deceiving .
As for Lining it was Not as easy as i hoped for, but it is a learning curve... so i expect better results down the road.
as for the grips i think the ones with Maxon Motor, which mine is gonna be big...
i think i would have personally preferred a thinner grip...as i only use 1" for everything else. So that right there, is the awkwardness...i have nothing like it.

throwhammers
01-14-2012, 05:25 AM
I agree that when you are accustomed to 1" grips, this machine is a bit awkward to hold. I kept finding myself holding it way down by the tip, like actually holding the needle cartridge.
I have fairly large hands and I think, for me, it felt just a little short actually. When I held it the way I would normally hold a machine (not way down on the tip) the end with the rca was resting almost "in" my hand and not really sticking up past it. I think for me, it would be a little more comfortable a bit longer.

OwlsDen mentioned a magnum marker... I think its slightly larger in diameter than a magnum, and the tapered end makes holding it a bit different.

Everything is held together by set screws. Each component is held in place to the previous component by a single screw on one side. This is fine, but, the connection between the motor housing and grip/tip is not ideal. As you tighten the set screw on the one side, the other side starts to lift slightly making an uneven connection. The instructions say not to tighten too much, but if the screw is too loose, the motor housing can actually come off. Too tight and the side lifts up and doesnt make a good fit (could possibly make the gears not mesh tight?). I feel like a set screw on both sides, or even better, a set screw on both sides and a small lip machined onto the motor housing where it fits into the next piece would hold it very well in place.

DavidEngbaek
01-14-2012, 11:16 AM
throwhammer...with the Motor housing( where the motor and the gear box connect inside) i used medical tape to insure it doesnt come apart while using it. i had that issue, but easily resolved.

throwhammers
01-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Yeah, that's exactly what I did too.

merky
01-15-2012, 01:08 AM
thanks guys, love hearing all info on what you guys have come up with. any question just call my shop 0-707-822-2828 Ted.

triblk6spd
01-20-2012, 03:16 PM
thanks guys, love hearing all info on what you guys have come up with. any question just call my shop 0-707-822-2828 Ted.
PM'd.

BillBill Webbz
01-21-2012, 03:50 PM
i think i really want one of these to try out,... they look very interesting! i read alot of the reviews and seen alot of pics of work done with useing them and never really was interested with that because its diff strokes for diff folks! but this machine looks great and very comfortable! and that seems to be selling me the most! wish there was a way to get cheaper hawk cartridges since ttech is dirty as fuck and generic garbage,... but i guess it is what it is! this tool looks totally rad man! good shit!

01-22-2012, 07:47 PM
still havent received my machine yet man

MatFink
02-13-2012, 08:03 AM
hi! so i've been pretty busy and not had time to comment until now...having probs with the machine. i've only used it on two tattoos. the first time was excellent, had a surprising amount of give to the feel while lining...only prob i had was the machine would occasionally stop running. since it ran as soon as the needle was removed, i put it down to the resistance of the return setup inside the cartridge being a bit much for the motor. workaround when it happened was undoing the cartridge, then refitting it. this worked fine for the first tattoo. the next time, i had already used the workaround method twice, and all of a sudden there was a high-pitched squeal from the motor and no movement at the needle. during partial disassembly i was able to establish and repeat the noise/problem. applying the slightest of pressure to the white plastic piston this occurs, and the gear it is attached to stops spinning while the one directly out of the motor spins freely. this seems to fit with my thoughts on the resistance of the cartridge. all that said of course, we have a problem if the gearing/motor can't hold up to the resistance of the cartridge it was designed for! i'm using genuine cheyenne hawk cartridges.

DiamondDave
02-13-2012, 08:24 AM
Had a similar thing happen to mine.
Worked ok for about 3 hours then shat itself.
Plastic piston had broken away from the gearing.
Great idea in principle but the quality of the machine is very dubious in my opinion.

I sent mine back for a refund and have only been partially refunded after making a PayPal claim
Still havent recieved the $50 I initially paid as a deposit.
Multiple emails to Ted(Merky) and Ric and still hasn't been sorted.
Cost me $55 bucks to send it back as well.
If you guys are reading this, do the right thing and refund the $50 dollars you owe me.
(The initial PayPal deposit was way more than 45 days ago so I have no recourse thru that avenue)

I think the lesson here is not to be first in line to buy an untested machine.
Lesson learnt.

Cheers
Dave

triblk6spd
10-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Just thought Id throw this out there. WAY late I know. My Marksman shit the bed after 5 minutes. I didnt even look into a refund as Im sure they were tired of dealing with me after sending it back twice.