PDA

View Full Version : Voltage has a mind of its own...

Clone Boy
12-25-2011, 04:37 PM
This isn't related to a rotary machine but at a coil (micky bee) machine i own.
What's happening is that voltage rising and dropping, so.... i have replaced everything but the frame and rebuilt it exactly to how it was originally bought, brand new, and with good quality parts, plus i changed the clip cord and the foot switch but the problem still persists.
I use a copy of the critical power supply (hurricane) and wondered if this could be the problem, however all my other machines run sweet, both rotary's and coils.

Any ideas would be great as this one seems to have me rather confused.

?????

OwlsDen
12-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Might have your capacitor / condenser backwards. Also try flipping your clip cord around, if that doesn't work then flip your cap or replace it.

Clone Boy
12-25-2011, 04:53 PM
The capacitor is new and was soldiered onto the coils by the coil builder. I have tried flipping the cord too and still no joy.
Condenser?

OwlsDen
12-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Some people refer to a capacitor as a condenser.

Paulink
12-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Does the clipcord hook into the frame and one backpost? If so you may have corrosion in the the frame hole (possible even on a powdercoated frame if there has been damage to the surface coat). Also consider corrosion (however insignificant) elsewhere on the frame or front contact screw or split/broken insulation/insulating washers. Alternatively is everything tightened up including the front contact lock screw? I've been there in the past!

Clone Boy
12-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Yes one post and to the frame but i also get the same issue with the RCA plugged in. It is one thing that i have not thought of and the plastic washers could do with a closer look but they seem to be ok. Any ideas on how to clean inside these tiny holes to get rid of any corrosion?
Brand NEW parts are: Coils/Cap, A Bar, Front contact, RCA Adapter

Paulink
12-25-2011, 07:09 PM
For the holes try a very small drill bit (possibly the right size)held in the fingers or a small craft rat tail file. Looking at the list of replacement parts, you don't mention replacing the springs, it might be worth checking the back spring for a crack near the rear bolt. Sometimes you need to bend the spring by hand not run the machine to see the beginnings of a fracture.

Alie K
12-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Nothing beats a quality power supply. I noticed many differences when I switched to a new power supply. The hurricane has caused problems for several people with their rotaties, and I wouldn't argue that it could be making your coil machine funky as well. It may not be the only component in this equation, but if you've replaced the other parts and are still having trouble, it could be one of them. It could also be how the machine is tuned.

Sometimes, something as simple as having a longer/shorter a-bar or different springs can also make a difference. For instance, say that you have a large air gap (because you are trying to slow things down), and have put a thinner front spring on - a machine might not work as well with this setup as having a slightly thicker front spring, less air gap, and maybe a heavier a-bar. You can still get the machine to run at the same speed, but minor changes in the components can make it easier for the machine to run. Might not have anything to do with the way your machine is running, but you never know.

tat2joe
12-25-2011, 09:55 PM
It sounds like the power supply, I had a simular problem with a knock off power supply. The power goes up and down all by it self until the power supply craps out ! Get a quality power supply. Hope this helps.

peter clements
12-26-2011, 09:17 AM
I use a copy of the critical power supply (hurricane)
there's the answer to your problem.Plus everyone should have a back-up PS for doing comparisons, and if you wish to travel ,a Talon mini digital would be a good choice.

OwlsDen
12-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Sometimes this can be a sign of bad tuning too, the power supply can be an issue. But I would also like to point out that some power supplies are more picky than others. A friend had a national power supply ( one of their nicest models ) and it ran all machines like a dream accept one from a friend of ours. His machine that he had built would do exactly the same thing you are describing. Turned out to be a reversed capacitor. Which was sending current back the wrong way and confusing the CPS circuit causing it to stop and start. Try it on an analog power supply. If it works fine then there is either or short somewhere or the cap could be reversed. Also the caps on the Micky Bee machines are not inline with the coils. You may want to wire it in like a standard machine.

OwlsDen
12-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Also check the polarity of your hurricane, I hear that some are reversed. Crap things that they are there could be a short inside it as well. Test everything

The Limey
12-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Colleague of mine had the same issue with his Hurricane. Turned out it was shorting out intermittently on the 3 little prongs that hold it on the stand, the finger tip of a latex glove over each prong fixed it but it doesn't run all rotaries for some reason.

peter clements
12-26-2011, 12:39 PM
but it doesn't run all rotaries for some reason.

I know the reason-they're cack rip-offs ,that belong in your shitbox.

CROWN Machines
12-26-2011, 01:26 PM
the capacitor is possible as incorrectly fitted or damaged and must be renewed or the reverse polarity must be changed.

"ALWAYS REMEMBER"
The contact screw adjusted "TOP" is always a PLUS (+) terminal and the bottom has the MINUS (-) POL.

I agree - OwlsDen - quite

CROWN Machines
12-26-2011, 01:34 PM
@The Limey

The "dial" is an example of possible POTI is Broken.
I also HURRICAN and must say that I am so VERY VERY satisfied.

HURRICAN Power Supply - qulität cheaper price but good

inside the power supply the same HURRICAN USED TO BUILD is what is installed in the ORIGINAL CRITICAL Power Supply.

Clone Boy
12-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks guys. i have heard of people having problems with this copy so i think its time to have a go with my other supply. Its the size of a house and probably weighs about the same so that should be fun dragging it to my shop lol.

Alie, the only change is the A bar changed to a speed bar so i will have to play around if this power supply idea goes tits up!