PDA

View Full Version : English as the general forum language!?

wildboy
12-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Maybe it wouldnt be the worst idea to make a forum rule that says that threads and postings have to be in English? Since people sign up to register on here theyre able to understand or translate into English somehow.

From my point of view its a lot easier if the person who is posting uses the google translator in case he/she is not able to speak English instead of everyone who wants to read the thread or posting....

DavidEngbaek
12-29-2011, 11:55 AM
makes sense to me ....cause you wrote the thread in English , so i was able to understand :p

OwlsDen
12-29-2011, 12:12 PM
The ironic thing here, is that Wildboy does not speak English as a first language. You have to respect that he does a fine job with his English. English is my first language, I don't think I could keep up in any other language quite as well. Strike that I can't write German or French very well but I can half as speak some. I am all for English as a primary language.

Administrator
12-29-2011, 01:28 PM
Its tough to enforce this if the user already speaks little to no English. If you see stuff not in english you can hit report post and I will go in and add a translated edit to the bottom using google translate. Keep in mind, its not always perfect and can often sound rude.

peter clements
12-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Yes I agree, and then such a rule should be politely enforced ,i.e a tutorial on using the Google translator. I must admit, I haven't a clue.

Administrator
12-29-2011, 01:36 PM
By the way the reported post button is the little ! with a triangle you see under each post under the user's info and avatar. It will send a pm to all the forum staff. Just put please translate and I will do my best to accommodate.

Denner
12-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Makes sense to me too, and I think it is a good idea, but maybe it's because I am fortunate enough to speak, read and write tree languages, besides my native langue, which is not English, but Danish ......

The Limey
12-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Yes I agree, and then such a rule should be politely enforced ,i.e a tutorial on using the Google translator. I must admit, I haven't a clue.

Easiest option is to go to either Babelfish (http://babelfish.yahoo.com/) or Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/), Pete (or anyone else that doesn't know).