PDA

View Full Version : I m a bit confused about what to get :/ maybe rotary works ?

aurelien
01-01-2012, 05:50 AM
Hi all and best wishes
I m looking for a rotary that can line, as i only use coils at the moment for that purpose, but i like the consistency of rotaries. I got an hyper v2 which is cool, but doesn t seem to hit hard enough for me :)
I tried the hawk and liked the hit, but i must say i m not a massive fan of the cartridge system and the grip also.
Anyway I heard great things about Rotary Works though, and they re the ones i m considering getting, plus i know a lot of you have some.
Do they hit hard enough without rupturing the skin ?
Could i line with without having to slow down my hand too much ?
Are they close to the coil feel ? Any suggestion about the one with springs or the other plain brass ?
Or any other suggestions ?

Alie K
01-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Rotaryworks has a very long stroke, and can also be a very fast machine (depending upon which motor you get for it). Many people enjoy lining with it. It has NO problem with very large mags or rounds.

Extra long stroke neotat vivace also has a very long stroke, hits very hard, and can be made faster or slower if need be, to accommodate your hand speed. Both are lateral slide machines, making them feel very stable for groupings from 14rliners down to singles.

Dan Kubin makes a great machine, the cranker. It also has a long stroke and hits very hard. I've used it for lining with 14rounds and 5rounds with much success.

Those are the favorite that I own. They don't have adjustable give (though the cranker has a little bit of 'slip' which is nice), so they will all hit hard, if that's what you are looking for.

aurelien
01-02-2012, 02:55 AM
Brilliant ! exactly what i wanted to know :)
Also, did you try the spring RW ?

aurelien
01-05-2012, 06:43 AM
I have ordered a pair from Dale :)

The Limey
01-05-2012, 07:07 AM
I have ordered a pair from Dale :)

Bang for your buck, Dale's machines are hard to beat! Plus if for some reason they don't suit you they are popular enough that you won't be left too much out of pocket.

The only machines I've used that feel similar to a coil are the Inkjecta and Rapier 2.

aurelien
01-13-2012, 07:09 AM
I received them a couple of days ago, and I m vrey pleased with it ! It just lines easily, fills in etc ... However one of them must have a motor problem I guess. It had a rattling sound at first, then slowed down and now just doesn't run. I took it apart to see what was wrong, as my boss tried one, but he used a grommet and there was grommet bits here and there. so I thought it could be it, but then with just the motor it s dead slow and the amperage is about 3 amp something at 3 volts against 0.79 for the second machine. I contacted Dale and am waiting for an answer but if someone knows if i can fix it in anyways, I ll take advices, as i am eagier to learn how rotaries work and all.

peter clements
01-13-2012, 07:17 AM
I received them a couple of days ago, and I m vrey pleased with it ! It just lines easily, fills in etc ... However one of them must have a motor problem I guess. It had a rattling sound at first, then slowed down and now just doesn't run. I took it apart to see what was wrong, as my boss tried one, but he used a grommet and there was grommet bits here and there. so I thought it could be it, but then with just the motor it s dead slow and the amperage is about 3 amp something at 3 volts against 0.79 for the second machine. I contacted Dale and am waiting for an answer but if someone knows if i can fix it in anyways, I ll take advices, as i am eagier to learn how rotaries work and all.

Dale will sort it out so don't worry. I love my alluminium Rotaryworks and often wonder if they'd be even better with a Maxon motor, I know that would bump up the cost, but if Dale made one I'd love to try it.

slicksteel
01-13-2012, 11:08 AM
yea dale will do ya right ,stand up guy!

Deakon
01-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Dale will sort it out so don't worry. I love my alluminium Rotaryworks and often wonder if they'd be even better with a Maxon motor, I know that would bump up the cost, but if Dale made one I'd love to try it.
Buy a motor and try it out! Dale has a video showing how to dismantle the machines.

OwlsDen
01-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Some of his motors are a little strange on some power supplies. Sounds like you might have a 6volt motor. Try replacing it with a 12volt motor. I have one of his machines and every now and then it stops, but if I hit the peddle again it comes right back on. When it makes me crazy enough I will just grab a 12v motor. They aren't expensive and it would most likely be cheaper than sending it back to him. Regardless he will sort it out I am sure.

aurelien
01-13-2012, 03:23 PM
He's sending me another one :)
Does it happen often then ? My power supply is the Eikon 400, so it's quite cool as I can change 0.1 volt, it s dead precise and seems practical for Dale's machines. It's actually the first time I see a use in that uber-digital-precision display thingy.

OwlsDen
01-13-2012, 03:25 PM
I think the eikon can handle it better than most. That and the CX-3 are supposed to be perfect for rotaries.

Denner
01-14-2012, 03:15 AM
Dont think its the EIKON that is the problem, got an EMS 400 about a month ago, and it runs all my machines very well, even those I had problems with before, had a couple of machines slowing down or not wanting to start up, and they all work fine after changing to the EIKON :)

vsprotoss
01-14-2012, 02:59 PM
The Eikon power supply is the way to go. Use it for all my rotaries without a hitch. I have been looking at the Critical Supply for its size and the wireless footswitch. Can anyone give opinions on the wireless footswitches out in market? Are they worth it?

thesmokingmirror
01-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Im really happy with my Nedz, its a great all around machine so far. Had problems with the esm250 and a cheap hurricane ps but getting a lab supply soon. My next purchase is a Neotat Vivace as they are also highly recommended and not to expensive. Definitely getting another Nedz soon also :)

aurelien
01-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Just to let you know that Dale sent me not one but two motors, with covers and all. What a nice guy ! The motor s back on and it runs awesome :)