PDA

View Full Version : wich rotary to use for lining??

DeltaNL
01-03-2012, 04:35 AM
Hello,
wich rotary is best for lining? and why is that?

OwlsDen
01-03-2012, 11:06 AM
There is a whole section on lining with rotaries, you could also search the forum, as there is a lot of mention in different threads. Everyone has a preference. So it is good to get as much information as possible. Most people seem to agree that the rapier 2 from the tattooed pirate is the best. But lots of machines work well for lining with different sizes of needles, so your needle preference will play in to what you would choose. Every machine that I have, I line with. But I may choose one over another for placement of tattoo or needle size.

Dan Kubin
01-04-2012, 07:14 PM
under "lining with a rotary" I have a video of me outlining with a 14 liner with my Mini Cranker machine. I chose to use a 14 liner to demonstrate it's capabilities.
It does great with smaller needles as well, but if I were to designate it for single needle and 3's, I would have a bit shorter stroke than what I use as a power liner.

linsner666
01-04-2012, 07:36 PM
for small parts with 1-3liner the swiss classic!
for 5 and mor .....ONLY coil!!! there is NO rotary with the "punch" of a coil machine!

G.Graves
01-04-2012, 10:41 PM
for small parts with 1-3liner the swiss classic!for 5 and mor .....ONLY coil!!! there is NO rotary with the "punch" of a coil machine!That's a bold statement, mabey your using the wrong Rotory. I think you meant to say " there's no coil machine with the punch of a Rotory"I've been using coils for 13yrs and tune them to hit hard, none of my coils could "punch" harder than a Rotory, there is to much give with the springs. But.......that's my opinion........Back to the question at hand, I think owl den said it perfect. Everyone is different in the way they tattoo, I love lining with no give rotories, I feel I have more control and more saturated lines. Heal time is much faster than coils as well. The best thing to do is try out different machines and then see what works best for you. Search button is your friend:)

linsner666
01-05-2012, 06:22 AM
have many differrent rotarys (stigma,r-works,swash gen6,IWH,etc....) and if there is "strong" skin (like fingers,elbow....) and liners bigger then 7 it wont work good!

The Limey
01-05-2012, 07:03 AM
have many differrent rotarys (stigma,r-works,swash gen6,IWH,etc....) and if there is "strong" skin (like fingers,elbow....) and liners bigger then 7 it wont work good!

Might want to experiment with your technique or possibly the needles you are using as my RW, Swash, Rapier, and Inkjecta will all lay nice fat lines in both those areas without issue and watching the video, Dan's mini cranker pushes 14's like a hot knife through butter...

Lining with rotaries definitely feels and sounds different to coils but, once you get to grips with the nuances of rotary tattooing its not really much different at all other than the fact that rotaries are kinder on your ears :p

JohnnyChaos
01-05-2012, 08:13 AM
+1
Once I adapted my technique, my hawk has performed perfectly in any area, from the back of the hand, to elbows, to the side of someone's stomach and ribs who'd recently lost 6 stone.

But I also think that as rotaries are less adjustable, you really need to take the time to find one which suits you.

The Limey
01-05-2012, 08:47 AM
+1
Once I adapted my technique, my hawk has performed perfectly in any area, from the back of the hand, to elbows, to the side of someone's stomach and ribs who'd recently lost 6 stone.

But I also think that as rotaries are less adjustable, you really need to take the time to find one which suits you.

Couldn't agree more Johnny, the Hawk almost drove me nuts for lining until I went back to riding the tube... now I've accepted that's how it works best (in my hands at least) I think its a fantastic liner!

OwlsDen
01-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Yeah once I realized that I didn't need to run my machines so fast, I have been able to slam lines into just about anywhere in one pas. I outlined a large forearm piece yesterday in 30 minutes and I thought I was taking my time. Every machine has a voltage sweet spot and hand speed, once you find it everything is perfect. Use any machine for lining and after a week you should have that sweet spot nailed.