PDA

View Full Version : Storm a100 Rotary Tattoo Machine review

vsprotoss
01-09-2012, 01:32 PM
I had the lucky chance of being one of the first to receive the Storm a100 rotary machine ( http://www.frictiontattoo.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=108_157&products_id=1797 ) and it's a thing of beauty for the price. So far, it's been working great and I was able to do some great lining and color packing work. I slapped in the 5mm long stroke bearing it was hitting hard at only 7 or so volts. At first, I was thinking it would be a nice backup rotary for a buck fitty but it ended up running like it can be a daily driver. It is a armature bar driven rotary like the stealth crap (storm rotary looks way better by the way), however, this machine runs better and looks better than the stealth as advertised on their product description. I like how it comes with 3 bearings for short, medium, and long but the long 5mm was what really blew me away.

Anyways, I thought I'd share this with everyone. For the price, this thing is great. I'd say it's atleast a good backup for all the $300+ rotary machines out there. I picked it up after I purchased my second Nedz rotary which I also love from friction tattoo supply. I'll try to post pics or somethiing when I get back from vacation. Thought I'd just share my experience with everyone.

slicksteel
01-09-2012, 01:38 PM
cool, was thinking on getting one of those-I buy there needles now they are very well made with a good backing paper that is easy to peel off.I have also had great customer service with them to.

gangstajay
01-09-2012, 02:48 PM
looks like they copied the ben right a lil, but hey has a nice look. thanks for sharing

thesmokingmirror
01-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Looks good from here :) having 3 strokes is a definite plus, only concern is build quality and motor. Post up more when you break it in!

OwlsDen
01-09-2012, 10:23 PM
The website states "premium Japanese motor" so we can assume Mabuchi.

Administrator
01-10-2012, 08:21 PM
I would doubt it even is any quality maubuchi motor if it is. This looks like they took a stealth and married it to the cousin of a ben wight "Jonsey" rotary. The motor looks like the same flat can plastic housed motor that is used in the other knock off they sell called the shadow.

Ta2GeezerUK
01-11-2012, 06:21 PM
The website states "premium Japanese motor" so we can assume Mabuchi.
Lesson 1 in the great scheme of life! ...Never assume anything!! :)

OwlsDen
01-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Lesson 1 in the great scheme of life! ...Never assume anything!! :)

Haha of course! I was being a tad sarcastic. I think we can be pretty sure that it is the stealth in sheep's clothes ;-)

gangstajay
01-12-2012, 12:34 PM
I would doubt it even is any quality maubuchi motor if it is. This looks like they took a stealth and married it to the cousin of a ben wight "Jonsey" rotary. The motor looks like the same flat can plastic housed motor that is used in the other knock off they sell called the shadow.

you are correct about the stealth and ben wright machine..looks like they had a baby..

Administrator
01-12-2012, 01:38 PM
you are correct about the stealth and ben wright machine..looks like they had a baby..

I do not believe the act of conception was consensual in this case.

OwlsDen
01-12-2012, 03:17 PM
I do not believe the act of conception was consensual in this case.

That stealth is a whore, stealth 'll consent to anything. However the Swiss may have not consented to any of this.

Alie K
01-13-2012, 01:51 AM
Wow. It really makes me sad to see how Ben Wight's design

got ripped off and called a "Storm"

The storm appears to be similar to the Stealth (it even holds a similar price tag). I was unimpressed with the Stealth and it's quality (or lack thereof), so I hope the Storm isn't going in the same direction. Having both an rca as well as clipcord backings will be a good selling point to some people. It may have had American R&D, but I wonder if it is made in the USA or in China? Couldn't really tell from the website - just saw a bunch of stuff that looked like other stuff....

ckjr
01-13-2012, 02:09 AM
I still have a stealth(can't get anyone to take it off my hands). I hated it since the day I got. This machine reminds me of it and I am not the least bit interested in trying it. It seems to be an exact copy with cosmetic "upgrades". Throw in the stroke changes and it comes out to the same price as a stealth. I wouldn't doubt it if they were all manufactured side by side.
As for the website, I've never even heard of them until just recently. It reminds me of all the crap found on ebay along with the monster steel stuff being advertised as USA seller..... luckily the majority of members on this forum won"t be fooled

vsprotoss
01-13-2012, 01:08 PM

Here are the pictures of the storm I received. I put up pics next to my nedz and dragonfly to show the sizing relative to some of the more popular rotaries. So the verdict is in and it's a good rotary machine for the price. I think it's a great machine if you want to get an idea of how a rotary machine hits, etc. good for those that only have used coils or have only used the more typical china type rotary machines. It is very similar to the stealth but I think it hits a little better and obviously in a nicer frame. hahaha Yea, it does look like the offspring of the ben wright and the swiss/stealth. I can't say how it works compared to the original swiss since I don't own one and nor do I intend to spend around 600 on a swiss when I can get another dragonfly or so.

Because I do like to tinker with rotaries and want to build one of these days, I took it apart and the motor looks identical to the nedz. I also took apart the motor from the knockoff swiss/stealth version from needlejig and the motors looked like that as well but when I ran the motors by themselves, it is definitely better than the cheap china knockoff ones like the needlejig "introductory" swiss/stealth version. It definitely ran like a japanese motor but I can't say it is Mabuchi since there were no markings but atleast it ran better than the chinese motor I compared it to.

Overall, a good rotary machine to use and if you are on a budget. I can say it is a little louder than the dragonfly and wont hit harder than my Blitz. I think it's good for apprentices or someone who just wants to get a feel of a rotary machine. Anyways, just my 2 cents

CROWN Machines
01-13-2012, 04:56 PM
I think this is a China-made Rotary Tattomaschine (replica of WIGHT BEN) and the engine, a premium Japanese motor is a Mabuchi.

BEN WIGHT Rotary tattoo machine have MAXON motors

BEN WIGHT's Rotary Engine is ROUND and OVAL ELECTRIC Rotary engine is dr

Administrator
01-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Even if the motor is Japanese its still the lowest common denominator they where able to price out by the bag. To be honest you are more likely to burn out all the cheap components on the thing before you will kill the motor. If the machine makes you money than make money with it. When it dies use a portion of what you made to buy another machine that compares to your main day to day drivers.

Neo
05-17-2012, 10:40 PM
The stealth runs the same and the stealth "crap" is what the storm copied from (stealth copied from swiss)(all copys haha). They both have the same motors i seen in some $400 machines. For $130 its a great rotary to have and like i said that mabuchi motor can be found in quite a few high priced rotarys that are praised on here. The bearings will go first and to replace them its very cheap and you will have them 3 days later (no wait-always there). I know a few guys using the stealth/storm and they are having no issues. I seen some good shit Alie did with the stealth and many others have done amazing shit with them. To me it runs like my neo tats just not built as well and not a linear action but it has the same type of hit. All i know is that the stealth i just got is built well for the price and runs very smooth and it hits like and feels like my neotats. Even the "wobble" i feel from the neo i feel in the stealth but a little less. It dont feel like its gonna jump out of my hand even on the 4mm stroke. I was worried cause i read that somehere but every stroke worked well and smooth. Aluminum stealth i have not the plastic lite one.

Sorry to drag this thread up haha, just let it slide :) I had to kindly chime in here as i just got a stealth for myself and was checking threads out. My point is the stealth is a very nice machine and can be a daily driver(parts on hand = no problem) like any other, but it will break in time like any other rotary just faster.

Sage Oz
05-17-2012, 10:53 PM
My coworker has a Storm, he was the only bidder on an eBay auction and got a new one for $89 delivered. I hate to admit it as I loathe knockoffs but I don't really count the Storm as a knockoff because they at least named it differently and it has it's own styling elements so at least it's not a carbon copy pretending to be a Swiss. It's also really well made for the price, some parts are a bit cheap but the frame and con-rod are both nicely cnc'd alloy with nice black anodizing. Runs pretty damn decent too. So it's to me a great backup in case you blow a motor on one of your nicer machines. Only thing that sucks is that none of that money spent is going to a tattooer, just some guys in china with a cnc.

vsprotoss
05-18-2012, 03:54 AM
My coworker has a Storm, he was the only bidder on an eBay auction and got a new one for $89 delivered. I hate to admit it as I loathe knockoffs but I don't really count the Storm as a knockoff because they at least named it differently and it has it's own styling elements so at least it's not a carbon copy pretending to be a Swiss. It's also really well made for the price, some parts are a bit cheap but the frame and con-rod are both nicely cnc'd alloy with nice black anodizing. Runs pretty damn decent too. So it's to me a great backup in case you blow a motor on one of your nicer machines. Only thing that sucks is that none of that money spent is going to a tattooer, just some guys in china with a cnc.

Agreed. I think the storm definitely takes different elements from other machines so is not a straight knockoff. btw, so far nothing has broken which says a lot considering the price point. At this poitn in time, the stealth bearing or vice would have broken by now. this storm machine has been solid since day one. Very reliable! they just recently came out with a brass frame version and it looks like a beauty. Took the pic from the friction site.

Sage Oz
05-18-2012, 04:21 AM
That's a knockoff to get your rock off! Lol. Yeah it seems made well, he's been using his as a fine liner for about 6 months, it doesn't get a ton off use or abuse but it's held up fine and is pretty quiet, generally a positive indicator of low resistance in the workings...

vsprotoss
05-18-2012, 05:59 AM
actually the brass version is still from the original makers of the Storm. I like how they decided to expand their aluminum range to a heavy brass version. Looks awesome.

Administrator
05-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Do you have a link to the brass one?