PDA

View Full Version : question for builder's..I think

gangstajay
12-18-2010, 04:44 PM
So I have been using the rotary's for a while now.. I always tell clients to come back in 3 weeks so I can ck the tattoo...all have healed great..and they always tell me" man this is the fastest I have ever had a tattoo heal" or "man it just felt different" So the question is "what makes this possible"? my guess on it is that since there is no give and they run so consistant, that you dont have to work the area so much which is less trauma so faster healing. Any one have a scientific answer?

TATMATIC
12-18-2010, 05:15 PM
the key is that the rotary goes into the skin at the same depth all the time ... so your not overworking the needle ... no going deeper in some spots to others .... if you set your machine up properly ive seen some heal up in a week .....

slicksteel
12-18-2010, 06:15 PM
My theory is a coil machine has a-bar that has a arcing swing to. It tends to snap the skin then curve-in a bit then pull out with sudden force. now you can set up a coil machine to hit soft but then you cansometimes run in to problems were the machine does not penatrate very well and can scrap up the skin-which is just as bad as going to deep.I like rotarys because there is no arc- so what angle you hold the needle becomes more inportant to acheive different effects-textures etc.It is kind of like doing it by japanese hand tools where it is a steady push and pull-the volts vary the speed and pressure of the push pull. It is kind of like getting blood drawn if the needle goes to fast it cause sudden force trauma if to slow it tends to grab pull and tear(that is the difference when the vampire knows what he is doing and does not hurt to give blood-lol)Check out the goody brothers machines for some cutting edge coil machines.

Dan Kubin
12-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Coil machines slam down on the a-bar, which is a bit jarring on the skin. The advantage is that the needle travel never slows down when it gets to the bottom of the stroke, making penetration easier...I find the biggest advantage using big liners. for everything else, I'm sold on rotaries. THe smooth transition from up and down has much to do with less trauma.
I disagree with the angle thing. My cans move the needle around all over and I'm still getting quick heals.
The consistancy of hit and speed have much to do as well.

gangstajay
12-18-2010, 11:33 PM
wow this has turned out to be a good post... thanks for all the input,

slicksteel
12-19-2010, 12:38 AM
I do argree somewhat dan but your rotarys swing from when the needle goes down but it is still at a straight angle that is side to side not a front to back angle like scooping motion like a coil machine.ether way i think all machines have can get the job done if you practice enough with them. althoe when i use my rotarys i tend to look at tattooing as more fine art where there is dropshadows, more blending layering,undershading and partial lining. When i use coils i tend to think of more cartoony style work with bold lines and over the top color. Maybe that is just me, but i think the tattoo rules of today have changed for the better and i think that is because of all the types of rotarys we are useing nowdays and the open mindedness to share and try new techniques.Anyways i find it very enformative talking shop and learing about other peoples take on things.Hope this has helped you jay.

gangstajay
12-19-2010, 02:02 AM
this wasnt just for me...I hoped that other artist on here had a question of this in mind? just wanted a more technical answer and they have been coming.very helpful