PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried the Cheyenne Thunder yet?

Ainslie
01-17-2012, 11:08 PM
I am DYING to get some legit reviews of this machine that isn't something posted on Cheyenne's website. I LOVE my original Hawk to pieces and want to invest either in buying another Hawk or upgrading to the new Thunder with the ceramic grip. Never tried the Spirit but based on what everyone else has said on here there isn't much difference. The only issue I have with the classic Hawk is the super rare needle snag when lining. I would love to hear a review from someone who already has been using the Hawks for a while and can compare them to each other.

darkink
01-18-2012, 03:23 AM
I’ve only seen the thunder for sale on one site and I too would love to know if anyone has tried it yet?
I don’t know about a ceramic grip? Any info on this? Or sites in the us to buy the thunder?

Bishopbyname
01-18-2012, 04:09 AM
I'm also interested in the Thunder. Killer Ink in the UK are selling it at the end of the month. Apparently it's an allrounder with more power and a longer stroke so on paper it should be a better liner. I love the idea of doing tattoos with 1 machine, just a quick twist to change needles.

slicksteel
01-18-2012, 11:15 AM
They are also selling a all stainless non adjustable grip/tube for a low cost -the whole needle depth would prob come out so you would ride off the needles.

OwlsDen
01-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Wow slicksteel do you have a link for that? That is the one thing that always made me poo poo the hawk. I always hated that the grip was so expensive and so delicate. I have on many occasions almost bought one and stopped because of the grip.

slicksteel
01-18-2012, 11:51 AM
http://unimaxsupply.com/tatmch/1hawkspirit.htm
t (http://unimaxsupply.com/tatmch/1hawkspirit.htm)hey are only 26.00 and they also sell the new cord with the electronic unit in it to jump start the machine-it stores some extra voltage in it.

Tat2dPinoy
01-18-2012, 11:54 AM
I just got off the phone with Unimax. They will be up for sale on their site on Monday of next week. The Thunder has a 4mm stroke, which would be a better liner, less snagging. They changed the internal locking sleeve to ceramic to withstand the autoclaving process. No more grips seizing or locking up, all of the adjustable grips now come with this ceramic sleeve. There also is a non-adjustable grip for only $26, but it only comes in 19mm (3/4").
Check it out:
http://www.unimaxsupply.com/tatmch/1hawkspirit.htm

The Limey
01-18-2012, 12:12 PM
They are also selling a all stainless non adjustable grip/tube for a low cost -the whole needle depth would prob come out so you would ride off the needles.

Isn't that the generic grip to fit non Hawk machines?

OwlsDen
01-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Isn't that the generic grip to fit non Hawk machines?

New Type of Hand Piece #FIXED-GS
Stainless Steel Grip without a depth adjustment. 19mm Diameter $26.00/Each

No I think that it is for the hawk.

Zapp
01-18-2012, 02:53 PM
I just got off the phone with Unimax. They will be up for sale on their site on Monday of next week. The Thunder has a 4mm stroke, which would be a better liner, less snagging. They changed the internal locking sleeve to ceramic to withstand the autoclaving process. No more grips seizing or locking up, all of the adjustable grips now come with this ceramic sleeve. There also is a non-adjustable grip for only $26, but it only comes in 19mm (3/4").
Check it out:
http://www.unimaxsupply.com/tatmch/1hawkspirit.htm

You can find on Unimax Homepage more information than at the hawk website !
This is ridiculous !
I have contact them 2 times,no feedback !
Maybe they are more bussy with count money !

OwlsDen
01-18-2012, 03:02 PM
You can find on Unimax Homepage more information than at the hawk website !
This is ridiculous !
I have contact them 2 times,no feedback !
Maybe they are more bussy with count money !

That has always been an opinion of mine.

darkink
01-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Wonder what the hang is on the Stainless Steel Grip without a depth adjustment? Wonder if unimax knows?
By the way unimaxs grip covers rock!!!
So I guess the new cord will make the older hawks run lower volts?

seawall paul
01-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Probably nothing more than an inline capacitor, like on an a/c unit, to kick it over at lower volts, the original ones can't gain enough inertia to start running at lower volts, i.e. you can start em running and turn them down, but then it won't start if you step off the pedal again.

asA
01-23-2012, 07:55 PM
ordered mine today.... kinda excited I've been looking into getting one for a while and now that it has the longer stroke I decided its time. on a side note the lady at unimax had me confused saying that they were out of the "conversion jacks" but as i was trying to figure out if that was really what they were out of she lead me to believe that she was talking about the "new start up cable"..... and then said it was for sure the "conversion jack" and that if i wanted to purchase it i could for the price of the "new start up cable"..... I'm so confused... anyways lets see what actually comes in the mail. haha lets hope its the conversion plug.. pretty sure i can get that at radio shack. Anyone else order from unimax and get the confusing run around about the mystery cable they don't have?

Zapp
01-23-2012, 08:28 PM
ordered mine today.... kinda excited I've been looking into getting one for a while and now that it has the longer stroke I decided its time. on a side note the lady at unimax had me confused saying that they were out of the "conversion jacks" but as i was trying to figure out if that was really what they were out of she lead me to believe that she was talking about the "new start up cable"..... and then said it was for sure the "conversion jack" and that if i wanted to purchase it i could for the price of the "new start up cable"..... I'm so confused... anyways lets see what actually comes in the mail. haha lets hope its the conversion plug.. pretty sure i can get that at radio shack. Anyone else order from unimax and get the confusing run around about the mystery cable they don't have?

They talking about the start up cable you need for thunder to start on lower volts !
If you dont have this one you must raise the volt up to start,on every start !
In germany they will sell this cable end of february !
If you have the original power supply you dont need it !

asA
01-23-2012, 08:47 PM
They talking about the start up cable you need for thunder to start on lower volts !
If you dont have this one you must raise the volt up to start,on every start !
In germany they will sell this cable end of february !
If you have the original power supply you dont need it !
shitty, i figured that's what it was, but she kept saying "conversion jacks". guess ill have to wait to get my hands on the start up cable. :( now i'm curious to see what they send... cause the websight says the motor includes the start up cable and the conversion jack.

asA
01-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Got my thunder today minus the start up cable... It still turns over at 3 volts with my ems400. Not sure if it's even necessary? Got a 12 hour day of appointments today excited to try it out.

JohnnyChaos
01-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Mine arrived today too woooo! :D

asA
01-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Got my thunder today minus the start up cable... It still turns over at 3 volts with my ems400. Not sure if it's even necessary? Got a 12 hour day of appointments today excited to try it out. doh.... Tried it with an actual hawk cartridge.... Won't start at low volts.... The rubberband in my old tester ttech cartridge must be super loose. :( guess ill have to wait till for the cable.

JohnnyChaos
01-31-2012, 09:01 AM
can't be much different to the old hawk though is it?
I wont have chance to try mine till tomorrow

asA
01-31-2012, 10:43 AM
can't be much different to the old hawk though is it?
I wont have chance to try mine till tomorrowit is my first hawk machine. I don't have anything to compare it to. The stroke seems longer than 4mm. Oh, and without the start up cable it is really doesn't wanna start even at higher volts especially when first running the new cartridge... after you run a cartridge more it starts at lower and lower volts.

JohnnyChaos
01-31-2012, 01:02 PM
some of the liners and big mags need quite a high voltage on the old hawk to get going.. they're usually fine at around 11v which is what I line at.
So on the critical I'd just switch from the liner pre-set to the shader to jump start it.
Which isn't an issue for me as the only time I stop the machine is when I put it down or change cartridges.

JohnnyChaos
02-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Got to give mine ago today. And it does take more to kick start it than the old hawk. I found that you had to turn it on off on sometimes. It's also louder than the original. But not by much.

As for working with it. Amazing. Lining is vastly improved. Started at my usual 11v. It lined nice and smooth with zero hangups even when pushing. Dropped it down to 9.4 and it still lined really well. Obviously slower but really nice and smooth.
Packing seems improved for sure.
And greywash seemed to be just as easy.
Very pleased so far.

Deakon
02-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Are you using t tech cartridges?

JohnnyChaos
02-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Bit of both. It started up better with T-tech.

paulotattoos
02-03-2012, 03:29 AM
Just buy the PU1 or PU2 and is no more problems!machines run better with them!

JohnnyChaos
02-03-2012, 05:33 AM
ya know I might just do that. I pretty much only use the Thunder and Hawk anyway.

asA
02-03-2012, 08:41 PM
sooo hard to spend 400$ on another power supply though. i'd rather buy another rotary!!

adamfromessex
02-07-2012, 04:18 PM
really looking forward to the fixed tubes from unimax. clucking for them to land, then i'll invest in the thunder
i have a spirit and love it

cblevins
02-09-2012, 08:02 PM
I like my reg. hawk and the spirit better. Seems just a lil too long of stroke, for me anyway.
Have a reg. hawk for swap, check classified section.

Jim
02-17-2012, 10:05 AM
I think the neatest thing about the thunder is the use of a ball bearing motor,there's no magnets involved. Here's a clip of what one looks like in action, and why it needs a push to get started, the only draw back of this type of motor is it can produce massive amounts of heat, but with the constant starting and stopping of tattoo machines heat shouldn't be an issue. http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=g60okBMeTKo

RUT419
03-10-2012, 10:28 AM
I just started using my brand new Thunder machine. I have to say one of the best parts of the machine is the ability to adjust the stroke with just a twist of the grip. The twist click system is great! It's worth the money. The machine is so precise I feel like there is no wasted movement, the needle is secure in that cartridge do to flaps holding it to the back of the cartridge. I am getting rid of all my other equipment as we speak. i have used coils and also the Neo Tat, and Bishop machines. Setup is faster, breakdown is faster and cleaner. My tattooing feels more like painting and less trying to get my machine right. I highly recommend it!

asA
03-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Broke down and bought a pu1 and its runs soo much better than it did on my ems400. Worth the 300 for sure.

JohnnyChaos
03-10-2012, 02:03 PM
how do you mean better?

I'm starting to feel unsure really how much better the thunder is compared to the original. I think my lining was maybe a little more consistent with the old one, and it definitely started up easier.
(I did say in another thread that my startup cable had arrived, but when I went to collect it, it was something else)

asA
03-11-2012, 03:23 AM
I talked to the guys from Cheyenne the start up cable only works in Europe right now. Apperantly the power is different enough that it won't work in USA. The Cheyenne pu1 starts up the spirit and thunder at crazy low volts and also seems to run smoother. Not sad at my 260$ investment at all.

mmtattoo
04-15-2012, 11:59 AM
i used the hawk for a year and a half and i thort it was great. the thunder is much better you can line with ease. as far as i am concernd it is a much better machine then the old one

mmtattoo
04-15-2012, 12:03 PM
if you turn the grip to max out so it is at the shortist stroke it should start.