PDA

View Full Version : Action Rotary Review.YE

skinmech
01-18-2012, 11:59 AM
This is my review of the Action Rotary, I won't go into cost or History of the Machine, you can read it yourself on www.noironmachines.com (http://www.noironmachines.com). As usual, I am not associated with the company, in any way. This is my impartial view based on my experience, and may not reflect your ability to get the most out of the Machine...Phew...

Whats in the Box.. You get a Solid, heavyweight Framed maxon A-max motor. Functionality looks like it was more important than Frame design,(nothing wrong with that),as the motor and frame are well balanced. To be honest, the frame is easily cleaned and has been well machined, and has nice clean detailing (if that matters). You get both RCA and Clippy connections...You are advised to tape over the RCA if using the Clippy in case of Shorting out AKA Wires from the Clippy hit the RCA Connection.You also get 3 Pivots/Plugs and some small o-rings-I will go into this later.

How does it Work..Well you have a choice of 3 Pivots/Plugs..These are Orange-Soft hit, Grey Medium hit and Yellow Hard hit..You NEED to place a small o-ring (provided) onto the nipple of the Pivot/Plug before you place your standard grommet, the o-ring just acts as a spacer/washer so your needle bar goes down the centre of the tube..TBH a piece of tissue paper would suffice.

How does it Perform..Don't expect the "Give" factors of a Stigma/Nedz/Fly/Hawk etc etc etc..In my opinion, what we have is a trad Direct Drive on steroids..The Action Rotary has the best qualities of a Direct Drive, it is hard, fast and punchy.The Linear motion is perfect, the machine is heavy (same weight as a small coil machine) but the balance is spot on. Little or no vibration. I did feel some "Give" factor in changing over the Pivots/Plugs..I wouldn't call it give, a better word would be "Dampening", the Pivots/Plugs are more like Small shock absorbers, and they do work well.

What can it do..Probably everything to be honest.Line/Saturation/Blending/B&G..Please don't think of this as your first Rotary, well it could be if you love Direct Drive Machines...It will line (I will always prefer Coils forthis task),but, with a 5rl-Yellow Pivot/Plug it was a Joy, Shading and most Colour work will be carried out with the Grey Pivot/Plug, soft Shading and Other work will be carried out using the Orange Pivot/Plug.

Summary..Denis (www.noironmachines.com (http://www.noironmachines.com)) has suggested what Volts to use with certain Pivots/Plugs, as usual I feel it is up to the individual to work this out for themselves, I ain't gonna say 8v's with the Yellow Pivot/Plug and someone drills a wrist with a tight 3RL....However, it is an easy machine to get along with..I will be doing a solid Black infill tomorrow, I will use the "recommended" settings and get back with how I get on.

My Opinion..This crosses the divide Between the Direct Drives (NEOTAT/Rotaryworks etc) and the Give System Machines Fly/Whip etc etc...As long as you start slow, and treat it like something you never tried before, this could be a Daily Driver..

Give me a day or two and I will fire up some more info regarding the Action Rotary...Would I buy another one, Fuk Yeah....

OwlsDen
01-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks for sharing, you have done a very nice job of describing this machine. I look forward to hearing more. I can't tell yet if this would be a machine for me or not, but it sounds very well thought out.

skinmech
01-18-2012, 02:49 PM
I agree Owls, until you have held, worked with and utilized a machine to it's full potential , then you won't know if it's the machine fro you, LOL...Too many people make snap judgements based on their own skill levels, that doesn't help the machine, the builder or other prospective buyers...Watch this space more to follow...P

The Limey
01-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Great review mate, looking forward to hearing more.

ckjr
01-18-2012, 06:55 PM
That was an awesome review

skinmech
01-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Pass the popcorn around, more to follow...

No Iron Machines
01-19-2012, 07:40 AM
HA..HA... THANX MAN, U MAKE AWESOME REVIEW OF MY MACHINE, BETTER THAN ME.....THANX A LOT

is pretty much exactly what u say, of course anyone can like or not, and must to be like this, have many good ROTARY now in the market to choose for any kind of style works, i try to done my best

skinmech
01-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Final Review...

I had a Black infill session today, 2.0hrs of solid Black...This was a "tribal" design, and mainly chest and upper arm, areas that can be painful on the client, and difficult for the artist.

I used both a 13RS and a 15Mag, I ran the machine at between 7 and 7.3 v's, and only used the Orange-Soft Pivot/Plug..I have to say the machine was faultless, almost one pass with both needle groupings, client said it was slightly less painfull than using Coils,but, the infill went it twice as fast, and I ain't shitting you.I upped the V's from 7 to 7.3 when switching to the mag, I also reduced my needle throw to about 2mm,and off I went, again no problem. I had no need to change the plug, to be honest, as I said before, the difference between all 3 Pivots/Plugs appears to be minimal, I am sure all users will have different opinions on usage...I would suggest you up yer hand speed when doing Color work at the start, this is a solid hard hitting machine, and will be loved by Direct Drive users, and be mastered by the peeps who prefer a bit of Give.

I only have a few issues, none concern the actual running of the Action Rotary machine. The addition of a Needle runner/clip (See Neotat) would be simple, and do away with rubber bands,because, the bands are pulled really tight if you wrap from the needle bar to the back-end of the machine, I found one band does the job fine. My other issue, (I am awaiting an answer from Denis) is the availability of spare Pivots/Plugs, and the cost of each, if you were to lose/damage the Pivots/Plugs the machine would be unusable. I believe most of the" New" Rotary Give machine Builders offer a comprehensive spares catalogue, it is imperative that No Iron Machines do the same.

All in all in a very , very solid performer, my fav Rotary to date was the Neotat, the Action Rotary just feels like it's the Neotats Big Brother on Steroids..Lining 8 outta 10, Shading/Blending 10 outta 10, Saturation/Packing 11 outta 10, yep thats an 11....Defo a Machine that will perform all the duties of Color work including B&G, and it will also Line.

Please note all of the above is my findings, and should be used for reference only. Put simply, I don't want anyone trying to Sue my Ass....So buy according to your ability, is this Machine the Magic Bullet to make you an Artist ,shit no, none of them are. Will this machine open your horizons and increase your options, very possibly,Yes.....P.

No Iron Machines
01-20-2012, 02:42 AM
COOL MAN, THANX FOR YOUR POSITIVE OPINION

i use the ROTARY with YEALLOW HARD PIVOT for all, just change my hand speed-technique about LINER-SHADING-COLOR, but like u say is about how the people like, i gonna done soon also a RIGID PIVOT, with a very hard PLASTIC-RUBBER, for the people that like RIGID ROTARY,
i reply your maesage about the PIVOT, yes i have and gonna send to uno problem, absicly any things the people need about my machines they just send me a mail and of couse i have all the SPARE PARTS,

G.Graves
01-20-2012, 03:49 AM
Very nice review indeed! Thanks for all the great info on this machine.

Tat2dPinoy
01-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Great review, you couldn't be more spot-on skinmech. I've used my Action for only a couple of days, but gotta say I love it! Rather than change my hand speed or voltage, it is nice to adjust with the inserts. This was the only thing I missed after putting the Neuma hybrids down. I moved on when I needed a harder hit, or direct drive and I have those now (Bishop, NeoTat) and my Dragonfly's bridge that gap in between. I finally feel like I have a complete set of rotaries for any job. Please add a rigid insert in the future, it would only be a bonus to those looking for a direct drive-like hit. It is a little heavier than I'm used to, but I kind of missed the weight. Not too light, not too heavy, very minimal noise and little vibration, all the best of why we use rotaries. I will definitely add a black Action to the arsenal in the future. These are my experiences and opinions, only meant to help others in finding what they prefer. Isn't that why we're all here? :)

tugg
01-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Aww!!. I might have to try one of these.

The Limey
01-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Damn I guess I'll have to pick one up eventually too, I loved the inserts on the Neuma but that electric module was horrible.

skinmech
01-23-2012, 11:13 AM
@ Tatsdpinoy,If looking for a more rigid Insert would open up more scope and uses for this machine,then it is only a good thing. I have used it now for about a week, I still swing between the Soft and Med Pivots/Plugs, I have only used the Yellow for Lining, and agree, one more step up in rigidity, would throw open more options...I hope Denis Reads this....I also found that adjusting my needle hang, Hand Speed and Volts gives a lot more uses to the Orange Pivot/Plug, spesh Blending Black and Grey work.

ckjr
01-25-2012, 08:08 PM
will some one say something bad about this machine so my wife doesn't have to kill me for saying I want one

No Iron Machines
01-26-2012, 05:16 AM
HELLO....

THANX AT ALL FOR THE GOOD OPINION, i gonna done some RIGID PIVOT in futire, sure, maybe even one supersoft, i see, about the BAD or GOOD point of my machines, have booth...ha..ha.... all the machines have some GOOD and BAD spot, just how the people like

THANX AT ALL...

slicksteel
01-26-2012, 11:41 AM
yea a supersoft one and a super hard one would be great,saving to get one of the badboys!

skinmech
02-03-2012, 01:48 PM
I asked Denis how I could replace any lost or damaged Pivots/Plugs for the Action Rotary..He told me not to worry, asked for my address and sent me 2 complete sets, 6 plugs in total...Great Machine, Great Company, and a Great Guy to deal with.

slicksteel
02-03-2012, 10:18 PM
So skinmech does it feel like give(backs up when it enters the skin) when you put the soft plug in -am thinking about getting one but dont want another no give machine.

Tat2dPinoy
02-04-2012, 08:53 AM
this is my favorite machine with give for black & grey and lining at this moment. I use the soft for b&g, med for color, hard for lining. It's a daily driver for me. If you are familiar with the neuma hybrid, it's exactly the same only with a better drive system. the hit remains constant, but the soft plug gives you smoother, less pepper with b&g.

used the orange (soft) on this yesterday with a curved 9mag

No Iron Machines
02-05-2012, 05:46 AM
Thanx at all, nice work carmelo...

daibead
07-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Picked up the black action rotary after these great reviews. I love my rotary works but was looking for what skinmech said, a machine in between the give of give machines and the direct drive of rotaryworks. First off Dennis is a pure pleasure to deal with, any questions answered. I have just used for colour packing so far, using orange pivot. Brillant with very little trauma. I used it between 7-9 volts with t-tech mags/shaders. Strongly recommend this machine.