PDA

View Full Version : Rotary motors ?

Neo
01-19-2012, 10:33 AM
What size motor is in the dragon fly ? Where can i buy that exact motor ? Any where besides from swiss to avoid vat ?

Where can we find rotary replacement motors for any machine ? This can be a thread to drop all info on motors and how to measure and find them online or local. Places to get the same motors cheaper then buying from companys. If you found motors that fit you machines and worked well please let everyone know.

I thought this would be a nice thread , When you need that motor this is the thread to read to see if someone knows where to buy it (its name/#).

I heard ebay has motors but what do you search for ? Anything to do with motors....

OwlsDen
01-19-2012, 10:54 AM
The first thing you need is a metric ruler. If you of course can not find a model number on the motor that you have. If it is round you will need 4 measurements. The shaft length and diameter, the body length and diameter. If it is a squashed can you will need the second diameter as well. Then you can shop via the faulhaber, maxon, portscap, mabuchi, etc website. Find a motor that fits the size. Then I recommend getting it in 12v as those are more. Compatible with more power supplies. Once you have the model number, punch it in google or eBay. Good luck

Neo
01-19-2012, 05:53 PM
I hope someone has took measurments already ? This can be a great thread to post all info on motors and can help everyone when there motor goes or if ghey want a extra incase. Seem like they dont have many sizes of motors. Are the maxon dragon fly's brushless. Can anyonne help me with this.

All builders should post there motor specs on here to help us. Hopefully they wont hold back only to force us to pay more from them. Anyone know something about motors post it.

OwlsDen
01-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Not all builders want to share their secrets. Some hold this information sacred and you should feel honored when they do share. I also think that all builders sell replacement motors. Some will even replace them for free. I don't have a dragonfly to tell you what motor it takes. But if you visit the dragonfly website they have a parts catalog. Or if you have a real dragonfly, look inside.

Dan Kubin
01-19-2012, 06:29 PM
I personally don't like giving out excact specs..not right now at least.
I also charge a little extra because I have to cut the shaft and wire it up...

It will take you a good minute to wire up a motor nice and neat if you have never done it before..
If you do your homework, you should be able to find what you are looking for, though Maxon and Faulhauber are not likely to have many comparables.

Neo
01-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Yeah i was thinking to taje it apart but i just got the fly. Thanks

Inkslingers
01-19-2012, 06:41 PM
I hope someone has took measurments already ? This can be a great thread to post all info on motors and can help everyone when there motor goes or if ghey want a extra incase. Seem like they dont have many sizes of motors. Are the maxon dragon fly's brushless. Can anyonne help me with this.

All builders should post there motor specs on here to help us. Hopefully they wont hold back only to force us to pay more from them. Anyone know something about motors post it.

I think you'd be asking a lot of builders to hand over information that they may have very well invested the time, money and effort to research and develop their machines...

Cyberitual
01-19-2012, 07:22 PM
People share with others what they want. There should be no expectations.

Sage Oz
01-19-2012, 08:54 PM

To my knowledge, nobody uses brushless motors for tattoo machines because you need a special speed control wired in. It'd be nice for performance and longevity, but it isn't very viable.
I agree though, most builders don't want to make their motor specs public as it makes it that much easier to have your designs ripped off by douchebags.

Administrator
01-19-2012, 09:32 PM

Wait wait what? Help you with what?

OwlsDen
01-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Yeah I am confused too. The first post asked how to measure and find them online. I thought I answered that pretty well.

Inkslingers
01-19-2012, 10:21 PM
To my knowledge, nobody uses brushless motors for tattoo machines because you need a special speed control wired in. It'd be nice for performance and longevity, but it isn't very viable.
I agree though, most builders don't want to make their motor specs public as it makes it that much easier to have your designs ripped off by douchebags.

Actually, there is a rotary on the market that uses a brushless motor....

Inkslingers
01-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Wait wait what? Help you with what?

My thoughts! lol

Neo
01-20-2012, 12:17 AM
Well first owlsden did already help me pretty much.

I want to have a back up motor for my dragon fly and am trying to see if i can find one in the usa and save some money. I don't want to always order out of the U.S and pay all the damn fees thats all. I didn't expect every builder to give there exact specs but that would be nice :) ,save us time ,money and its only the motor (that they don't build themselves). I cant see that much harm being done from helping customers have the freedom to buy other motors they may like to try out or just buy the same one themselves when needed :) besides builders loosing a little money. *At least don't charge more then what you pay for it. Its not like there building the motors they buy them from china ,japan ,swiss or wherever. Thats just my opinion :) *The point is i have to pay allot more then i should cause its out of the usa and i don't like fees , customs, stress and being tied down. *Builders in the usa are a little different cause no fees and vat and so on or if there is a life warranty but still i would like extra motors ready to go in*case. So yeah its that simple, i want to be able to buy my own maxon motors in the usa for much cheaper for my fly and future machines. * **

Like i said owlsden helped me out already (thanks) and i got a good amount of pm's from members and a really nice builder already. Thanks

"To the monkey on my back..Get off before i put your brains on the wall"*

No Iron Machines
01-20-2012, 02:09 AM
HELLO

DRAGONFLY probable use FAULHABER, suppose the model 1724-012-SR, is small motor, so probable is this, but im not very very sure, u contact them and ask ?

also is not that easy change motor in a ROTARY, specially on DRAGONFLY, is very complicate machine, u need hvae some knowledge on TATTOO MACHINE maybe

also, sometime the MACHINES BUILDER they charge u more price for the spare parts, becouse many factory the have MINIMUN ORDER QUANTITY, so is different, immagine u call the FAULHABER and they tell u, ok the motor u want is 50 USD, but u need buy minimun 20, what u done ? this is one problem

Ta2GeezerUK
01-20-2012, 03:39 AM
No Irons hit it on the head with that comment. It really isn't a case of a Builder charging more than wholesale as you do have to figure in the minimum quantity factor. Its great seeing it in a catologue persay for $50 then when you contact the builder he wants maybe $70. Normally in the catologue it will state the *from as little as* price. It's really down to the initial outlay for quantity etc. Good idea maybe if ya just wanting specs/Torque/Ratio's

OwlsDen
01-20-2012, 05:26 AM
Also a lot of builders order the motors to spec. So the price you see might be 50€ but when you upgrade the end bearing for prolonged use or upgrade to a sealed autoclavable motor ( yes some have an option for this ) the per unit price jumps quickly. Then if you may have to import the motor to where you build it, that adds customs fees. Also any euro motor you see tge price for may be without tge mandatory vat. Here in Germany that is 20%. So factor all that in and most builders are selling the motors at or just above cost. Not to mention that they are usually upgraded from stock. Besides how often do you kill motors? I have back up machines not motors.

JohnnyChaos
01-20-2012, 07:46 AM
The stigma motors have codes on.. I looked in to replacing the motor on my Bizarre v1 and it was cheaper to post it back to stigma and pay for them to put a new one in.

Inkslingers
01-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Something else that people need to keep in mind is that builders charge more for parts simply because they're trying to make a few bucks. Actually it's not even a matter of making money, but being compensated for having bought, stored and handled these items in the first place. Builders may very well get a motor or any other part at a certain price, but their paying shipping, handling charges, custom fees, packaging, etc. Plus their time...either that or they are paying someone else to take care of these things. No one is in this to take a loss, if they are they won't be around for very long.

CROWN Machines
02-28-2012, 07:56 PM
The Dragonfly has Motor17x27 SR12Volt - 5Nm - Faulhaber ~ 1.Faulhaber engine of this size will cost 90euro a ~ a MAXON motor of this size with 17mm diameter, it is not - then only if custom-made product and 1x kostest about 160euro -

jesoner79
03-04-2012, 02:09 AM
i can tell u have i have alot invested in the small amount of machines i make and dont make much profit if any i do it cuz i like doin it but i too had to learn to make my parts myself but factor in the cost of these machines to make them and labor then u have to build them and hope for people to buy them now i havent built a rotary yet but i will tell u all tthe places i seen they have minimum orders for good motors like 1000 min or 5000 minimum so sure if u want to buy 5000 motors go ahead ull never have to worry about a replacement and ill buy them from u 2 at a time for the next 5 years now u see y they sell them for more

Neo
03-05-2012, 02:11 AM
lol Yeah yeah man i hear what you all are saying. Im not into rotarys or better yet i am new to them so i asked. What if a builder stops selling the machines ? Drops old machines and builds new ones ? Then im stuck with a $400 machine with no motor. Like the show "shark Tank" he didnt invest in the guys invention cause it was all on him, so he said what if you walk out the door and get hit by a bus ? Then he is screwed. I dont like that motors die and im stuck relying on the builder my whole life if a motor goes. Im a user of coils and i can fix ANYTHING my self any time and i love that i dont have to rely on someone else. I already found a replacment for my dragonfly anyway which is what i wanted and saved about $100. I understand how to find them if needed (open up and measure specs). Thanks to those who actually gave specs #'s ect and pm'ed me. Its easier to get most motors from the builders this may be true but some can be found cheaper in the states or different motors at same specs. I dont like being tied down thats all, even with coils i can buy any pair from any where. This is all i meant, its ok............ its ok