PDA

View Full Version : Dan Kubin Mini Cranker

Bishopbyname
01-24-2012, 05:09 PM

I know there's already quite a long thread about 1 of these machines but i thought it was still worth writing a review from my experiences. First of all i'd like to state what a good guy Dan is and how easy it was to contact him and he's always prompt with his replies. Dan actually built this machine for me before he received payment, so thanks to Dan for showing a bit of faith.

A slight negative side was the extra £30 i had to pay for import taxes and Parcelforce don't release the packages until the duty is paid. I understand this has nothing to do with Dan but it does increase the price of the machine a little. Having opened the parcel, i was greeted with the sight of the beautiful machine above. There were precise instructions on machine maintenance, an allen key and some business cards. The machine was well packaged and at this point i was very happy.

Now to the machine function; i connected up the machine with the black clip to the front and the red clip to the back as instructed. The flywheel spun steadily counter clockwise at 2 volts, i then began to raise the voltage slowly till i got to 5.5v. At this voltage the machine is humming nicely and is quieter than my Nedz and my Rotaryworks but ever so slightly louder than my Vivace. The machine is also beautifully balanced and feels great with a 25mm steel grip. I used it today to line with 3rls and 5rls and it out performed ALL my other rotaries hands down. Lovely crisp consistent single pass lines. Really impressed! Next i shaded a rose with a 9mg bugpin, again set at 5.5v i backed the needle off quite a bit and was astounded how well it performs as a shader too. How such a long stroke machine can shade so smoothly i just don't know?!

To sum up; on the first day of use this machine has impressed the hell out of me! It looks stunning, it's very quiet, really well balanced and works wonderfully! Now to sell some of my other machines so i can buy 2 more! :D

Baldrick
01-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Glad to hear that - my first DK is being shipped this week - but I can see another order going in for more ;)

astaluego
01-24-2012, 08:34 PM
if I spoke english I would have done the same review of bishopbyname....great machine!!!!

Bishopbyname
01-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Update: as expected it packs colour like a mofo too! Definitely need 2 more! :D

GregM
01-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Update: as expected it packs colour like a mofo too! Definitely need 2 more! :Dhave u still been lining with it?are you still having the same results with it as you did in your first review?

Bishopbyname
01-28-2012, 03:28 AM
have u still been lining with it?are you still having the same results with it as you did in your first review?

Yes mate, been lining with it every day with 3rls, 5rls, 7rls and 11rls. I have yet to find a function it's not capable of handling.

thesmokingmirror
01-28-2012, 05:02 AM
whats your setup nowadays i saw before you were stoked on the nedz are you still running those to?

GregM
01-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Yes mate, been lining with it every day with 3rls, 5rls, 7rls and 11rls. I have yet to find a function it's not capable of handling.Thats great to hear! I'm gonna order one very soon

Tat2dPinoy
01-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Got my order in last night, woo hoo!

Bishopbyname
01-28-2012, 01:07 PM
whats your setup nowadays i saw before you were stoked on the nedz are you still running those to?

My Nedz is quite inconsistent to be honest and it's quite harsh sounding. I prefer the look, sound and feel of the Mini Cranker.

Bishopbyname
01-30-2012, 03:51 AM
I love this machine so much i'm ordering another 2! I can see myself using them for everything, and it might sound strange but i like the idea of having 3 different coloured machines of the same type in my daily set up. :D

gangstajay
02-02-2012, 01:17 PM
yes his machine are not getting the credit they need. very nice machine!!!

peter clements
02-02-2012, 02:04 PM
yes his machine are not getting the credit they need. very nice machine!!!

I don't know about that Jay, Dan has been getting many repeat orders from almost all that have tried these machines, in fact today I've ordered another one myself :) What better way to give someone credit than a repeat order?

Baldrick
02-02-2012, 02:12 PM
I've tracked mine down - its still in customs!!!!! But I know BEFORE I've used it I'm gonna get another ;)

peter clements
02-02-2012, 02:30 PM
I've tracked mine down - its still in customs!!!!! But I know BEFORE I've used it I'm gonna get another ;)

Is it stuck at customs over here the UK? If it's Parcelforce they're supposed to send you a card requesting the customs fee.

Baldrick
02-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Is it stuck at customs over here the UK? If it's Parcelforce they're supposed to send you a card requesting the customs fee.

Pete, my status says awaiting customs charging, it's been like that for 5 days now, but I've heard nothing.
I have emailed them today but still nothing yet!!!
I feel an irrate phone call happening tomorrow - damn parcel force!

peter clements
02-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Pete, my status says awaiting customs charging, it's been like that for 5 days now, but I've heard nothing.
I have emailed them today but still nothing yet!!!
I feel an irrate phone call happening tomorrow - damn parcel force!

Absolutely-shake the lazy bastards up. Dan's paid them, you'll honour the customs charges, make the incompetent twats do their job :mad:.

Alie K
02-02-2012, 11:23 PM
I love this machine so much i'm ordering another 2! I can see myself using them for everything, and it might sound strange but i like the idea of having 3 different coloured machines of the same type in my daily set up. :D

I think having duplicate machines of what you use most is a great idea. I use neotats often, and now I use them more often because I have more of them. Sometimes I'll be doing a tattoo where I'll need a loose round, a 7mag and an 11 or 13mag all out at once. It's really nice to just be able to switch configurations without having to go back and forth with voltage. 3 long strokes out, 3 different sizes to color with, just pop the clipcord onto another machine and GO!

That's one of the reasons I'd like to get another mini cranker!

chrishess
02-02-2012, 11:52 PM
thats one thing i really love about the hawk, but with dans machines, i plan on getting a few more for sure.

thesmokingmirror
02-03-2012, 12:24 AM
really want one of these!

GregM
02-08-2012, 05:55 PM
i finally ordered my mini cranker and im counting down the days until i have it in my hands..Dan is a really nice guy and i have a feeling i will be owning more than one mini cranker..new machines are soo much fun!

Baldrick
02-09-2012, 08:41 AM
well FINALLY mine will be delivered tomorrow - can't wait to try it out.

I was gonna go into a RANT about UK border control and ParceForce - but i'm done with them !!!! took weeks to get sorted - felt like months!!

Just want to make it clear its nothing to do with Dan - he was great and sorted my machine really quick - I should have saved time and just ordered 3 at the same time ;)