PDA

View Full Version : eikon ems 300 not running dragonfly due to old firmware.

Carl zambra
01-24-2012, 05:14 PM
just a quick mention to say eikon have addressed this situation for me by upgrading the firmware for free even tho its 2.5 years old, just gotta ship it to them to put the rotary mode on it, :D

ckjr
01-24-2012, 05:17 PM
thats awesome they're doing that

wildboy
01-24-2012, 05:40 PM
hmmm doenst sound like heart surgery to upgrade the firmware... you paid them good money already so its not a big deal since you pay for the shipping

Carl zambra
01-27-2012, 03:52 PM
@wildboy, i know bud, but its just easy and saves me stressing about using a shitty little power supply that i keep for a sapre lol, and i could of had to pay for return shipping lol, ( they covered that)

for teh sake of £20 shipping i'm a happy bloke :D

peter clements
01-27-2012, 04:21 PM
@wildboy, i know bud, but its just easy and saves me stressing about using a shitty little power supply that i keep for a sapre lol, and i could of had to pay for return shipping lol, ( they covered that)

for teh sake of £20 shipping i'm a happy bloke :D

Fair comment, at least you have peace of mind and the PS won't be just an ornament.

wildboy
01-28-2012, 03:52 AM
Maybe they will come up with a USB port and make the updates available for download... Would be the next step I guess since the EMS400 has a touch display already

inkd
01-28-2012, 04:39 AM
will it show the speed for a rotary?

The Limey
01-28-2012, 10:37 AM
will it show the speed for a rotary?

Nope afraid not.

Inkslingers
01-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Nope afraid not.

although I'd like to see this happen...

inkd
01-29-2012, 12:58 PM
does the hawk power supply display speed ?

inkd
01-29-2012, 01:03 PM
i like the look of the nedz to mix and match the combinations to find your "tune" but i do like to read the speed
my old ems200 displayed the speed of my stigma bizarre but screwewed up the readings for my coils

Alie K
01-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Power supplies with readouts won't give speed in CPS for most rotaries due to the lack of "On/Off cycles per second" (Hope I'm explaining that correctly). Many issues arise though, when (like with the Eikon 300), the duty cycle exceeds 99% and the supply turns itself off, which is supposed to be a safety measure with coils from what I recall. There are a few machines out there here and there that give one sort of reading or another, but I find that with a rotary, the best test of speed is to do some whip shading:

If you get "Train Tracks", it's running very slow for your hand speed
If you get "Peppery Dots", it may still be a little slow, but you're right around the sweet spot
If you get "Parallel Lines", it may be running a little fast for your hand speed

This works great if you are using a new rotary for the first time, and are unsure of the voltage 'sweet spot' or if you are running a power supply with out a voltage display.