PDA

View Full Version : Machine Reviews: Rotaryworks 2-Piece Aluminium, and Rotaryworks "Springer" Models.

skinmech
02-07-2012, 01:08 PM
This is my Review of two Machines from Rotaryworks aka RW. Namely, the 2-Piece Aluminium, and the Springer Model. I have no association in any way with the Company or Builder. This is my impartial view based on my experiences of the machines, it does not reflect your ability to get the most from the Machines.

I will deal with the 2-Piece Aluminium first, and will refer to it as 2-PA from here on in.This has the 6 VOLT Motor..

Whats in the Box..Well you will receive your machine in a sturdy protective plastic box, (nice touch keeps it safe and easily storable). The machine itself is very well constructed, solidly built, and lightweight...Has a nice balanced feel to it, and the motor is wrapped in a protective material, a simple plastic cover holds the clipcord connections nice and secure, and offers protection to the rear of the motor.The 6V Motor is a Graupner and the 12V is MFA.

How Does it Work...The 6V motor has a powerband (the range you would safely use it within) from 2-5v's, and the 12v motor has a powerband from 5-10v's.You simply adjust the v's to suit the work you want to do, I found 3v's -3.8v's will perform just about all the colour work duties you will throw at it.

How Does this Perform...Very well, and I am trying to do this Review with out swearing, in fact, I would say that Colour work is almost effortless. Like most cam driven Rotaries , you simply adjust your needle to your tip, I still like to hang my needle, as I ride the needle as opposed to the tip, make sure the cam is at the bottom of its throw, and adjust to suit your style. Simply set your volts and you are good to go.I suggest,like most Rotaries, starting off low, and increase as you go...

What Can It Do....Simply put, probably everything, and I honestly mean that. I haven't tried out anything larger than a 7rl, I would assume this machine will only be limited to its users ability...Yep it's that Fukin Good.. Blends, Packs, Shades, B&G nothing holds the 2-PA back...Apart, as I said from the users ability.No matter how much you improve, this machine will be well up for it..

Summary...Well I haven't got any issues with this machine, the only small point raised was that if you push your Grommet on too tight against the nipple bar housing it could stop your machine,never really a problem, just put a fibre washer on before your grommet, or a spacer.
My Opinion...See below, and I will sum up both machines in the one place.

Next up is a 6Volt RW Springer.

Whats in the Box...You get the same Machine as above regarding build quality, first class...In addition you get 3 colour coded springs, Soft, Medium and Hard hitting, you also get an Allen key/Screwdriver combination, and all is presented in a slightly larger plastic box, reason being as the Nipple Bar Housing is larger on the Springer to compensate for the "Give Mechanism".(Pic Below, explains all)

How Does It Work...Simply select the spring you want, unscrew the adjuster fitting on the top of the Nipple Bar Housing (using the Allen key combo supplied) and drop the Spring in, ensure it is seated correctly by pushing up on the cam. Now simply, tighten down to firm your Spring or Slacken off to reduce tension, once you are happy, tighten the small grub screw which holds the adjuster fitting in place (Great fukin idea) using your Allen key combo. Set your volts and you are good to go....See above for powerband and suggested volts. You have more scope and options with the Springer, so you will need to find your own sweet spots.

How Does this Perform...Same as above, no problem at all, just simply adjust your V's to suit the job at hand.

Summary...The Springer does everything, including, (if you put in the hard spring), all the duties of the 2-PA, and is just as accomplished..Is it a replacement for the 2-PA. NO, it is another Machine in your armory, which you can count on. In my Simple terms, the 2-PA, is a Fukin Big Assault Rifle, with a Flamethrower attachment, the Springer is the same, only with Night Vision..I hope you know what I mean..

My Opinion...This is for both Machines...Without a Fukin Doubt in my mind if you do not own a Rotaryworks, or haven't tried a Rotaryworks, you are missing out....The 2-Piece Aluminium is only £140/ $215/ 165 Euro, the Springer is only £180/ $277/ 211 Euro...Trust me on this, these machines blow any and all competition within £100/$155 right out of the FUKIN Water..In this price range, nothing, comes remotely close, and probably never will, these are Premium Machines for a Budget Price, unusual in this Industry, usually it is the other way about.... Any further info can be had by PM'ing Rotaryworks..http://www.facebook.com/rotary.works or drop Him message on here..You will not be disappointed.

bluerocker
02-07-2012, 01:43 PM
now thats a review! i have just purchased my 2nd rw, couldnt be happier, and dale is a very nice guy too, and fantastic customer after/service.

OwlsDen
02-07-2012, 01:47 PM
As always, thank you. It is really nice to have someone that writes such thorough reviews for every machine they get. It also makes me even more excited about the machine I have on the way. Next you need to try the RW direct drive, it is a 14rl monster!

skinmech
02-07-2012, 02:25 PM
No Need for Direct Drive, I wasn't a great lover of the "side to side " action of many of the Direct Drives I have tried.....Linear is the way to go and I reckon any of the machines in this review could easily push a 14rl....But Remember, even with coil machines, pushing a large grouping, means more than just putting yer foot on the gas, skin stretch, hand speed all play a "Big Part"....

skinmech
02-07-2012, 02:31 PM
@ bluerocker....
Totally agree, Dale is 2nd to no one, when it comes to customer service..Paco Rollins, and Dean, share the exact same work ethics ....Both people, build, service and supply their own Builds, and Customer Care/Service is Paramount...As I said in the review, if ya don't have one, you are seriously, missing, out...Peace,P.

elbo
02-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Have to agree with Skinmech....ive just recently rediscovered the joys of rotary works....i had in the past owned one but never really used it and traded it! What a fool! after giving a aluminuim one a try recently i realised what a mistake it was to have traded my previous one....I can say hand on my heart this machine has improved my greywash skills,i always had a hard time with large areas of B&G but now im happy and confident doing that style and its in no doubt due to the rotary works.Ive always enjoyed colour too and these machine do this job as good as any other machine ive tried...im so impressed im waiting on 2 more to arrive from Dale any day now.
I must admit ive not lined with my one yet but for everything else its my first choice,i choose it first leaving my bizarre V2 and specifics as a second choice(they might even be offered for trades soon)....I cant fault the aluminium version as its light and quiet,i can imagine the brass version may aid lining by providing a bit of weight in the hand. Yes i have to agree the rotary works is probably the best value rotary on planet earth....I love em!

skinmech
02-07-2012, 07:23 PM
A point worth mentioning is that Dale still builds/assembles and checks every machine by hand prior to dispatch. I reckon build quality is reflected in the parts used to build any machine.

peter clements
02-08-2012, 05:17 AM
I agree totally with all the positive comments already mentioned,they are a great rotary to use. Value for money? £140-unbeatable.

pert
02-08-2012, 07:32 AM
just ordered one....canny wait

skinmech
02-08-2012, 07:38 AM
You're in for a nice surprise pert.......What model did you order..The Ali 2-Piece or the Springer...

Carl zambra
02-08-2012, 10:29 AM
lol @ pert, i ordered one this morning too.... :D, had the ali 2 piece, hopefully get it next week from what dale said.

aurelien
02-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Very good review ! I ordered 2 last month, and just placed an order for 3 more :)

OwlsDen
02-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Very good review ! I ordered 2 last month, and just placed an order for 3 more :)

3 more? Wow! That is dedication!

Zapp
02-08-2012, 12:41 PM
You cant go wrong with dales machines !!!!

aurelien
02-08-2012, 12:54 PM
3 more? Wow! That is dedication!
Well actually my boss fell in love with it, so 2 are for him ;) I was getting tired of having to run after them every single day ah ah ah

tugg
02-08-2012, 02:45 PM
the only niggle with these machines is it would be nice to have a back stop on the a bar to stop the grommet fouling on the frame.I have modified the 2 I have other than that I love em . If I had to pick just one machine out of my top drawer then the rotaryworks would be it.

elbo
02-08-2012, 03:01 PM
I use silicone tubing for grommets and have never had a problem?

peter clements
02-08-2012, 03:45 PM
I use silicone tubing for grommets and have never had a problem?

Correct-if your grommet whatever ,is snug properly, just push it on till it's just short of the frame.

Paulink
02-08-2012, 04:05 PM
I use rubber nipples(is that allowed?) that Mickey Sharpz sell as armature bar grommets which are just short enough to not make contact and are a snug fit in the needle bar. Other suppliers must sell them too.

skinmech
02-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Yep I didn't think it to be an issue to be honest, as Peter said just push on your Grom/Tubing whatever just til it falls short of touching the Needle Bar Housing.OR..I just stuck on a fibre washer first onto the Needle Bar, see pic 1 then pushed my grom on tight ....see pic 2...The fibre washer doesn't create any friction...

peter clements
02-08-2012, 04:32 PM
A simple thing I always do with any machine I'm setting up. I place my grommet in the needle bar eyelet first,then I give the eyelet a nip up with pliers,then I try it on the armature nipple,if just right, into the tube it goes and then set up the machine.

wildboy
02-08-2012, 04:53 PM
the only niggle with these machines is it would be nice to have a back stop on the a bar to stop the grommet fouling on the frame.I have modified the 2 I have other than that I love em . If I had to pick just one machine out of my top drawer then the rotaryworks would be it.

how did you modify it?

OwlsDen
02-08-2012, 05:20 PM
I think he is saying to put the grommet in the needle eyelet first. Then squeeze it a little tighter with a pair of pliers ( zange ) and then put it on the a-bar. It isn't a bad idea

peter clements
02-08-2012, 05:40 PM
I think he is saying to put the grommet in the needle eyelet first. Then squeeze it a little tighter with a pair of pliers ( zange ) and then put it on the a-bar. It isn't a bad idea

It's a common sense method. Surely we've all noticed ,all armature nipples vary in thickness,and also needlebar eyelets vary aswell.

tugg
02-08-2012, 05:49 PM
I modified mine by making my own plastic washer so it was an interference fit on the abar so it sat just off the back of the frame , simple to do . that way yo can run a needle with a bit of give on the abar . I even remember someone saying they wrapped a bit of cotton soaked in super glue round the abar a couple of times to form a small ridge .
Like I said ,It was my only niggle with this machine and once your machine has eaten a couple of grommets you do 1 of 2 things, put your needles on real tight or put something on there to stop it sliding back if you like a bit of give.

No Iron Machines
02-09-2012, 05:29 AM
HELLO,

but this machines, with the spring on top, gonna make the needles always stop OUTSIDE the tube....

OwlsDen
02-09-2012, 12:47 PM
So I don't know how much I can say that hasn't already been said here. But, I whole heartily agree. Dale's machines are great. I am sure some of that has to be the motor he uses. It has a lot of speed and power. I bought the aluminum one piece ( knuckle duster / brass knuckles ) machine from Zapp. I am almost certain that it performs exactly like the two piece machine. For the money it can't be beat. Almost as quiet as my Neo Tat, and runs fast. Slams color in. The best way I can describe it, is that it does exactly what you want it to do. This might have been the most relaxed I have ever been tattooing. I can't say enough good things about it.

Zapp
02-09-2012, 12:55 PM
I am glad you like it ! If someone said he dont like, i would not understand ! I dont have used the 6 v motor but i thing the 12 v is better especialy when you change the machine ! You dont have to play around with volts/up and down !

rotaryworks
02-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Hi all not been on here for a while I have read all your post ant the review on my machines I don't know what to say I very honoured by all your post I thank each and every one of you for all you kind support and your comment many many thanks I really a,m honoured ........respect

MFresh
02-14-2012, 02:51 AM
Dales machines are GREAT !! I have 2 knuckle duster (brass knuckles)

I also had the grommet problem. (the only problem) and the way around it is just use paper towel instead of grommet. 1" x 1" and fold it twice. Bam, problem solved.

Great machine. Lines like a beast. Color packing and grey wash ....beast !!

pert
02-14-2012, 03:11 AM
got my brass one....colours in the best i ever had.
its the fucking best i ever used.

will be selling a shit load of irons now, i am converted.!!!

skinmech
02-16-2012, 11:20 AM
I take it you are happy....P