PDA

View Full Version : power supply dilemma

CajunDave
02-08-2012, 07:30 PM
about a year ago i bought an eikon EMS250. i prefer turning a dial over buttons so i chose this PS over the others...plus i never planned on being a rotary user. after noticing most of my fav tat artists around the world (boris, maximo lutz, dmitriy samohin etc) are using rotary i wanted to give them a shot. i ordered a LS neotat and just got it in today. machine runs awesome and so quiet! i had my fingers crossed that it would run with my PS but after around ten seconds it cuts off. i had a feeling this would happen so now i have to address the problem.

For now to use the machine i have to tattoo in spurts of 6-8 seconds at a time and then stop before the PS cuts off then start again. can live with this atm for shading stuff but not gonna try and line. what are my options here. we had 2 extra cheap PS from unimax laying around the shop, neither of them run the machine at all. (they are the cheap black box 40$ dollar specials). ive heard someone mention some sort of filter to address this?

i figure my options are to buy a new ps, get this filter, or mail off my ems250 and get the firmware updated to work with my rotary. i dont mind buying a new power supply but i just dont have the money atm to spend 200-300 dollars on one. anyone can recommend a cheaper power supply that will run rotarys and is not a piece of crap or super expensive? i jsut wanna be able to use my neotat :(

OwlsDen
02-08-2012, 07:33 PM
If you can find the eikon 200 clone it works great. Or it may even be a 250 clone. It's called the cyclone. I got one off amazon for about 35€ when I thought my ps was going bad. Turned out it was a bad cable. But I have given it to my wife and she uses it with rotaries no issues at all. Hope that helps

jboo75
02-08-2012, 07:45 PM
yeah my power supply sucks for rotary too, i am majorly invested in the rotary machines at this point and am trying to figure out what power supply to get for them.

Everlastingxxx
02-08-2012, 09:52 PM
I am planning on getting an Eikon 400. I was going to get a 200 but i believe in quality (why i am a Mac person).

Administrator
02-08-2012, 10:00 PM
You may also want to talk to Thom Butler, he is on here and makes some really nice power units from simple to really fucking fancy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqHk1eTs3k8&feature=share

This is one of his more expensive units, I just happened to have the window open in my browser.

Alie K
02-08-2012, 10:18 PM
about a year ago i bought an eikon EMS250. i prefer turning a dial over buttons so i chose this PS over the others...plus i never planned on being a rotary user. after noticing most of my fav tat artists around the world (boris, maximo lutz, dmitriy samohin etc) are using rotary i wanted to give them a shot. i ordered a LS neotat and just got it in today. machine runs awesome and so quiet! i had my fingers crossed that it would run with my PS but after around ten seconds it cuts off. i had a feeling this would happen so now i have to address the problem.

For now to use the machine i have to tattoo in spurts of 6-8 seconds at a time and then stop before the PS cuts off then start again. can live with this atm for shading stuff but not gonna try and line. what are my options here. we had 2 extra cheap PS from unimax laying around the shop, neither of them run the machine at all. (they are the cheap black box 40$ dollar specials). ive heard someone mention some sort of filter to address this?

i figure my options are to buy a new ps, get this filter, or mail off my ems250 and get the firmware updated to work with my rotary. i dont mind buying a new power supply but i just dont have the money atm to spend 200-300 dollars on one. anyone can recommend a cheaper power supply that will run rotarys and is not a piece of crap or super expensive? i jsut wanna be able to use my neotat :(

Some Eikon supplies are not upgradable, so check before you send it to them. They usually do the firmware upgrade free of charge. Just make sure to request they send it back as a WARRANTY REPAIR so that customs does not give you problems with fees.

As for Admin's post, Thom makes some crazy rad stuff and does not charge nearly what they are worth for them. So cool!

Mission Tattoo
02-08-2012, 10:30 PM
critical power supplies are awesome

ckjr
02-08-2012, 11:05 PM
strange, I had the same ps,it would run some machines fine, and others would cut out. I have the 400 now its great. I also had the cx knock off for about 3-4 weeks it ran all the rotaries in the shop except for the stealth.

wildboy
02-09-2012, 02:05 AM
Not sure where I saw it but isnt there a switch available thats hooked to a power supply that can be changed from coil to rotary mode?

I also had a lot of trouble when changing to rotaries but I got an EMS400 last year and everything works perfect was totally worth it. Was a real pain to spend so much money but hopefully Im good for a couple of years

OwlsDen
02-09-2012, 04:47 AM
Also a lab power supply is an even better idea ( not better per say than the eikon 400 ) but if you are budget minded you can get a good quality one for less than 150$.

wildboy
02-09-2012, 05:28 AM
I was at the same point and thought about getting a lab supply but what kept me from buying one was that you need an extra box for the jack connector which results in more cables and more stuff on the table. Besides that the lab supplies are not the smallest solution...

The Limey
02-09-2012, 05:55 AM
I was at the same point and thought about getting a lab supply but what kept me from buying one was that you need an extra box for the jack connector which results in more cables and more stuff on the table. Besides that the lab supplies are not the smallest solution...

You can get a foot pedal/clip cord combo for lab supplies (http://unimaxsupply.com/tatparts/1footsw2.htm) although I use a box Cary made me.

wildboy
02-09-2012, 06:03 AM
true... this is even better you can still change things

http://www.tattoo-basics.de/shop/product.php?id_product=474

CajunDave
02-09-2012, 06:24 AM
Wonder if I can get that jack connector at radioshack cause we have a lab powersupply at the shop that no one uses or even claims ownership of

OwlsDen
02-09-2012, 06:31 AM
You could get the parts at radio shack easy enough.

peter clements
02-09-2012, 07:14 AM
This is a great little PS from Talon http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-MINI-DIGITAL-POWER-Supply-USA-MADE-WARRAN-/350531272865?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519d4ac0a1 $195 and you can take it anywhere.

Inkslingers
02-09-2012, 10:53 AM
I too like the knob on the 200 apposed to the touch on the 400. I bought the 400 and it would just sit there in my area because of this. Simple fix was picking up a 10 turn rheostat and running the 400 through that. Solved the problem and put my power control in a better spot. Total cost was like $20 for the rheostat and plugs...and maybe 40 minutes of my time.

wildboy
02-09-2012, 11:50 AM
I too like the knob on the 200 apposed to the touch on the 400. I bought the 400 and it would just sit there in my area because of this. Simple fix was picking up a 10 turn rheostat and running the 400 through that. Solved the problem and put my power control in a better spot. Total cost was like $20 for the rheostat and plugs...and maybe 40 minutes of my time.

What did you do with it exactly? Are you able to control everything or just the volts?

Sekt
02-09-2012, 12:28 PM
This isn't a bad little ps for the money ($31)
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Point-Digital-Tattoo-Supply/dp/B001ED0XU4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328807783&sr=8-2
One guy in the reviews has same ps he bought in 2009. Although many people still prefer to pay more for better quality components, case, etc

peter clements
02-09-2012, 01:50 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Point-Digital-Tattoo-Supply/dp/B001ED0XU4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328807783&sr=8-2
One guy in the reviews has same ps he bought in 2009. Although many people still prefer to pay more for better quality components, case, etc

Off topic now, but selling Tattoo equipment on Amazon now? Just when I thaught it couldn't get worse :(

OwlsDen
02-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Yeah it's a shame, and anyone can buy it. Scary isn't it?

wildboy
02-09-2012, 01:58 PM
doesnt make a difference anymore someone always sells stuff to the public...

Sekt
02-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Off topic now, but selling Tattoo equipment on Amazon now? Just when I thaught it couldn't get worse :(

fully agree with you there... its disgraceful, tattoo machines on amazon are even worse. But the tattoo equipment on Amazon gives this a D.I.Y. hobby kind of feel. If they have to sell this stuff they should provide a serious warning about the risk of spreading infectious diseases like aids.

Perhaps we could get a petition together here, and ask Amazon to provide warnings, and even point out they could receive hostile publicity if one of their machines hurt a child.
what about it?

OwlsDen
02-09-2012, 05:40 PM
I'd sign that, but I doubt Amazon would even care. Just like eBay.

jboo75
02-09-2012, 05:55 PM
So not to beat a dead horse but I want some input on which power supply best runs say stigmas, rapiers, vivaces, etc. That small talon digital looks sweet, and I heard good things on the lucky supplly digital. I want a knob ran digital. Any input appreciated.

nivek
02-09-2012, 05:58 PM
AMazon is making money off it, of course they don't care. They are no different than any website that sells to everybody. At least (in most cases) Joe Shcmoe can't get his hands on good inks or machines for his kitchen wizardry. The retards are always going to be able to get the machines. The problem lies much deeper. Health departments that can't really do alot, stupid people that don't understand the real risks.

There is not a week that goes by that some goofball doesn't come in with a tattoo "his buddy" or "some guy" did and want a price to fix it, or just wants to get a quote on how much "this" would cost so they can attempt to brag about how much money they saved.

OwlsDen
02-09-2012, 06:29 PM
We had two "my friend" put shit on my body people come in today. I guess I should be happy in a way, I will forever be in the cover up business.

peter clements
02-09-2012, 08:12 PM
So not to beat a dead horse but I want some input on which power supply best runs say stigmas, rapiers, vivaces, etc. That small talon digital looks sweet, and I heard good things on the lucky supplly digital. I want a knob ran digital. Any input appreciated.

One of the nice things about the Talon digital is it will show you the voltage as you turn it up without having the machine hooked up. In other words you can preset it before you hook up & that's a bonus as all my machines have their own sweet spots.

Assassin Rich
04-29-2012, 12:33 PM
get A critical

Invertedpixel
04-29-2012, 01:10 PM
I had a monster point ps...cheap componenents...short lifespan, prolly not so great on rotary motors...a good ps is paid for after a day or two of work, dont short yourself