PDA

View Full Version : special technique polarity?

spoonertattoos
02-11-2012, 03:37 AM
just got what I think is a sling shot in trade here. Runs great but I dont want to damage the motor. Does anyone know if they are supposed to run clockwise or counter clockwise?
Im gonna figure out how to rig an RCA and wanna make sure I get it right.

James Spooner

OwlsDen
02-11-2012, 05:39 AM
I'd message Brian on here and ask. I am fairly certain though that positive is down and ground is up. If you have a multimeter you can test the power. Coming out of the clip cord to know for certain which is live and what is ground.

wildboy
02-11-2012, 06:11 AM
You could take the motor out and look at it maybe youll find an arrow showing the direction

Brian
02-11-2012, 08:18 PM
If it's a Slingshot, the frame is ground, look real close you will see a wire going to one of the contacts, this is positive for your clip cord.. If you want to post a picture of the machine, I can confirm it for you..

spoonertattoos
02-12-2012, 01:59 AM
Thanks Brian, Great machine.
I do see a mass of wires going towards the bottom point. So the positive goes on that one?

While your reading, do you happen to have an RCA conversion kit? I can do it myself but its not always pretty. haha.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t175/youmanitee/406e148e.jpg

Brian
02-12-2012, 12:03 PM
I do remember that machine quite well, it is one of my hand milled prototypes for Slingshot 3.0 before we sent the frames to be CNC produced. On that machine, the aluminum motor tube going through the Delrin frame is ground. There is only one wire on that machine and it is Positive (lower contact)

I don't have any universal RCA conversions at the moment, just the enclosed RCA boxes as seen on the Traxis model. The Traxis box would fit that machine but it would require milling off a small portion of the Delrin frame to attach it.. I know Eikon makes a universal RCA conversion that would work on that machine with basic hand tools. You could also go to Radio Shack and buy the RCA lug for $3.00 and make a simple L bracket..

I would be willing to convert it to RCA for you for free if you want to send it to me and cover the shipping, I would also install the dual ball bearings in the armature as the newer models use..

The Limey
02-12-2012, 12:21 PM
I would be willing to convert it to RCA for you for free if you want to send it to me and cover the shipping, I would also install the dual ball bearings in the armature as the newer models use..

Now there is an offer you'd be hard pressed to turn down!

asA
02-12-2012, 09:20 PM
I do remember that machine quite well, it is one of my hand milled prototypes for Slingshot 3.0 before we sent the frames to be CNC produced. On that machine, the aluminum motor tube going through the Delrin frame is ground. There is only one wire on that machine and it is Positive (lower contact)

I don't have any universal RCA conversions at the moment, just the enclosed RCA boxes as seen on the Traxis model. The Traxis box would fit that machine but it would require milling off a small portion of the Delrin frame to attach it.. I know Eikon makes a universal RCA conversion that would work on that machine with basic hand tools. You could also go to Radio Shack and buy the RCA lug for $3.00 and make a simple L bracket..

I would be willing to convert it to RCA for you for free if you want to send it to me and cover the shipping, I would also install the dual ball bearings in the armature as the newer models use.. wow, gotta love a builder that stands behind there stuff like that. Amazing guys at special techniques.

spoonertattoos
02-13-2012, 12:53 AM
awesome Brian! I can't say no to having you do a free upgrade. Ill pm you for your mailing address. Thanks!

james

Brian
02-17-2012, 03:58 PM
I got the machine today safe and sound.. I will get started on it tonight, If I don't get it ready by Saturday for shipping, I'll send it back first thing Monday A.M.

spoonertattoos
02-18-2012, 03:52 AM
cant beat that. Ps. you'll notice I included a return shipping label so you dont have to pay for it. just slap it back on the box.

Brian
02-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Finished modding your machine;

I fit an RCA box from a Traxis machine, decided to leave the clip cord contacts functional as they are part of the look of the machine..

I also replaced the motor with an updated version that has a balanced flywheel, nothing wrong with your old motor but it has way less vibration now.

Swapped out the drive bar, bearing, and fit a nylon screw to tension the drive bar..

Made a new armature so I could fit it with dual ball bearings, this removes all side play in the armature and makes the machine more accurate..

Machine runs awesome, give us a review when you get it back, I will drop it with Fedex asap...

Here are some photos:

spoonertattoos
02-19-2012, 02:19 AM
DAYUM!!!!! can yall say customer service? imagine if the whole world put this much care into their work and customers? Take note and pay it forward. I know I will.
Thanks brian, can't wait to give it a whirl!

spoonertattoos
02-27-2012, 01:37 AM
If I dint say so before. THANKS ! this machine rocks and everything that needs to be said aboutyour customer service is right here in this thread.

turnrock
02-27-2012, 02:08 AM
Damn. Wish they did that for me when it was my machine... I would of never traded it to you haha

Brian
02-27-2012, 01:53 PM
If I dint say so before. THANKS ! this machine rocks and everything that needs to be said aboutyour customer service is right here in this thread.

No problem, you have a very special machine there, it was a pleasure to mod it for you...