PDA

View Full Version : Making the appretice happy

Sinnersink
02-11-2012, 04:47 AM
Did this on my appretice.
My first realistic rose so far(not finished yet, more color and white highlights to come)
Been tattoing a little under 2 years in studio. When june hits the 2 years has past.

Taking critism please. Thank u for replys

asA
02-11-2012, 05:45 AM
Did this on my appretice.
My first realistic rose so far(not finished yet, more color and white highlights to come)
Been tattoing a little under 2 years in studio. When june hits the 2 years has past.

Taking critism please. Thank u for replys my biggest critism is why do you have an apprentice? 2 years and you are already "teaching" someone. :(

Sage Oz
02-11-2012, 06:05 AM
my biggest critism is why do you have an apprentice? 2 years and you are already "teaching" someone. :(

Stole the words right out of my mouth. I tryed giving an apprenticeship with five years in and in hindsight even that was waaay too early. Babies having babies.

asA
02-11-2012, 06:11 AM
Yay for a saturated industry over saturating itself. I bet this dudes apprentice already has an apprentice.

aurelien
02-11-2012, 07:52 AM
The same as what's been said already.
About the tattoo, the rose looks on a very good start, and the face is nice, however, some things like the chin, the position of the teetch seems to be a bit out of proportion, as for the hair, they have this spaghetti look. But just some black and grey over it will correct it, no problems. Of course this is only my point of view and I could be wrong too. Good luck !

Mr.Taboo
02-11-2012, 08:52 AM
What's been said above , the rose is lookin' nice so far though.

Sekt
02-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Man this is a tough crowd !
Over all the image is good, the shading is good also. Ignoring some flaws, the image has a dreamy far away quality to it, a kind of para siempre (always remembered). We are constantly learning, but you have the tools of the craft necessary to do great work.

Measurements should be your friend! You are trying to draw what you think you see, instead of drawing what is there, leading your mind to interpret where things are according to it [your mind].

This is where measurements overrule your minds impression, and add logic, earth, and weight to the composition. After that, your artistic creativity can add the other elements. Use a marker to indicate where this lines up with that, and where things should go.
Use a generic template to figure out human bone structure, then place things where you wish, to develop character, withinthe confines of the template. Although you have not done it here, I have noticed very experienced artists making obvious mistakes. For example the tattoo is expertly drawn, but one eye is higher than the other !!!???

The above posters are experienced artists, and know where to look, and what to look for. The everyday person would not notice these details.

Sinnersink
02-12-2012, 05:52 AM
2 years in studio, 2 years out of studio. Im one of the best in my town, is i dont take apprentice who will. people would be home tattoing on the couch ( and a lot of people here is doing that), tearing up people's body. Making ugly tattoos for life.
Im very sorry im trying to give other people a chance to learn something about the technical in tattooing. What will look good later, and what will be bad.
Sorry im helping skillfull drawers on the path of tattooing, instead of them making ugly ass designs on people, who will bear them the rest of their life.

This really is a though crowd, people come from different country, and here in denmark, the overall isnt that fantastic. Sure we have good artists but not great artists.

So putting that aside big thank u to sekt for the helpfull critism, and to other serious answers.

pert
02-12-2012, 06:44 AM
we all start somewhere.....some of us where not as fortunate as others to have an apprenriceship.
doesnt mean we cant become a good tattooist though.?
that said.....its very togh to get apprenticeships....so if someone who has been taught the rights n wrongs wants to help keep others from scratching i say good luck to you.

only my tuppence worth.

Sekt
02-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Ok, if one gets a bad tattoo, well the most that can happen them, is their pride is hurt, and save up to get it removed or fixed, or covered. The MOST important thing is that the artist is careful with a persons health, and takes every single precaution possible to ensure the artist is safe, the client is safe, and the next client is safe.

Invertedpixel
02-12-2012, 08:31 PM
I know that this thread is derailing, but I guess when you put it out there that you are apprenticing someone with only two years of studio time under your belt people might take issue...I've got just about six years in and I inherited an apprentice and it's amazing how unprepared I feel even now...I think everyone would agree that two years studio time isn't enough to experience some of the " oh shit " situations you have to understand before you can take someone else through it. At two years I felt like I was still working to understand the mechanics of application and still getting used to the different skin types and etc...Although it is good to get a refresher on your basic procedures...showing someone else really cements knowledge in the brain...

spoonertattoos
02-13-2012, 01:02 AM
yeah Im two and a half years in and though I work a lot more than some of the more experienced guys in my shop, I would never consider teaching someone else. I mean There are several things I could pass along but Im still working shit out myself all the time.
What I do when someone asks me to teach them to tattoo is instead teach them how to get an apprentiship, starting with the fact the most serious artist wont teach you if youve been a scratcher for a grip of time already. Better to spend that time drawing.

Alas, we all think we know better and have to do it our own way (doing garbage tattoos for a while along the way)

G.Graves
02-14-2012, 03:23 AM
The only problem with a good tattoo artist apprenticing with two years, is that you and your apprentice will be learning together very soon ( not much mentoring at that time). The tattoo is looking pretty good so far, post up new pics when it's done. Oh ya and what kind of machines did you use on it?

Sinnersink
02-14-2012, 05:08 AM
I must " fix something". I've been working 2 years of studio time. nearly 2 years practice before that. I understand all your concerns, and understand them. But tattoos isnt really regular here, people just started to understand and get them. Its not like in the states. That means there's not alot of artist, Acctually i never met an artist yet i would hire as tattoo artist in my shop, to take care of customers. So the only thing i can do for my self. Is to create these artist, cuz they just isnt running around in the wild.
People with a special set og skills of drawing, has come to me. For learning how to tattoo. Ofcourse there years isnt that wide, but i will be able to learn them all the basic skills they need, and alot of everything else!.
With that said, i acctually understand all ur concerns.

Everlastingxxx
02-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Logic that says you can only teach once you have everything figured out is flawed. An artist should always be growing and improving. Your sample is better than most of the tattoos done in my town that is full of shops.

brimstonesix
02-15-2012, 02:21 AM
blind leading the blind,stop teaching people when you haven't even paid your dues. i've been tattooing fourteen years and haven't apprenticed anyone. this thing used to be like cosa nostra....it should be hard to get into.