PDA

View Full Version : Critical wireless universal footswitch starts randomly...

wildboy
02-19-2012, 07:41 AM
I bought a Critical wireless footswitch and tried to use it yesterday but the footswitch is not working properly... The machine randomly starts without touching the pedal. When the pedal is pressed down the red light on the receiver is on and the power is steady so I guess the sync is working properly.

Has someone else had a problem like that? I used it with an EMS400 maybe the two dont like each other?

wildboy
02-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Ive tried the foot switch with Hurricane knock off now and its working fine... So the EMS400 seems to be the problem... If I had known about that Id rather had bought a CX-2

wildboy
02-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Heres a vid of the Critical footswitch with the EMS400... Seems like Im the only one whose running this combination and has a problem couldnt find anything yet...

http://youtu.be/MekNlAC7ic8

OwlsDen
02-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Ok here is some theoretical electronics for you. We can assume that a normal power supply the foot pedal closes the circuit and power goes freely to the machine. No consider that the eikon may be wired to a transistor. A transitor is a switch. When it senses voltage ( 5 volts ) it closes the other connection ( high voltage for the machine ) . This is good as it would not add the resistance of the power going through the pedal. This could be bad in this case as the wireless trigger may operate on a different voltage. This could cause the transistor on the other side to not trigger. If there is extra voltage added or interference added to the circuit from an unsheilded radio receiver. But I digress this is theoretical. You could test the voltage on the output for the foot pedal on the eikon. If it is 5 volts and not what the power supply is set to, then this may be the problem. Hope that helps.

OwlsDen
02-19-2012, 11:33 AM
Also another even simpler problem would be reversed polarity on the pedal trigger. If the center pin is positive on the trigger and negative on the eikon the transistor won't work in the trigger as the voltage can only go in one direction. That is a simpler concept and reversing the wires in the trigger could work. You need to check the polarity with a multimeter on the trigger and the power supply.

wildboy
02-19-2012, 11:36 AM
So that means the 5volts the universal receiver needs to close the circut are interfering with the system in the EMS400? Whats a possible unshielded radio receiver? Wireless Lan maybe?

wildboy
02-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Also another even simpler problem would be reversed polarity on the pedal trigger. If the center pin is positive on the trigger and negative on the eikon the transistor won't work in the trigger as the voltage can only go in one direction. That is a simpler concept and reversing the wires in the trigger could work. You need to check the polarity with a multimeter on the trigger and the power supply.

I think I have a multimeter in the basement somewhere... Is there something like an adapter to reverse the polarity on the receivers jack plug? This could be soldered together somehow ^^

OwlsDen
02-19-2012, 11:43 AM
No the receiver ( receives a radio frequency from the pedal ) trust me that gets in to radio frequency and is very confusing. Although it also can cause interference with w-LAN. But that is a whole other issue. I'd wait and hope eikon gets back to you. Maybe an rc person could help. I have a good ttl ( transistor to transistor logic ) background but I have never done a lot of wireless radio frequency stuff.

OwlsDen
02-19-2012, 11:44 AM
I think I have a multimeter in the basement somewhere... Is there something like an adapter to reverse the polarity on the receivers jack plug? This could be soldered together somehow ^^

Yeah it would be very easy, just need the parts. You can get most at Obi but it is not cheap.

wildboy
02-19-2012, 11:49 AM
I bet it would be very confusing to me ^^ Ive never had any contact with stuff like that...

Thanks for your help Ill wait what Eikon will reply and try the reverse thing with the Jack plug.

The Limey
02-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Have you tried it at the studio? There are lots more potential sources of RF interference in a house.

OwlsDen
02-19-2012, 11:53 AM
If that is all it is it is pretty straight forward. On my hurricane the voltage is switched and I just rewire my clip cords. I also use the constant on. So I barely use my foot pedal. I start the machine work for an hour. Then stop it.

wildboy
02-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Have you tried it at the studio? There are lots more potential sources of RF interference in a house.

Yes I did... At home on the Hurricane its working

wildboy
02-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Im going to pick up the EMS at the shop now Ive found some stuff in the basement.

wildboy
02-19-2012, 02:34 PM
OwlsDen youre the best the polarity switch did the trick! I owe you one

OwlsDen
02-19-2012, 02:40 PM
Anytime man. Glad I could help.