PDA

View Full Version : Maxon motor.

peter clements
02-27-2012, 10:30 AM
I'm wanting to get a Maxon motor to up grade my Rotaryworks machine,the existing motor is playing up a bit. Dale is willing to do this build ,it'll be interesting for him as he has not used Maxons before. So, I want to know exactly which motor will be best, size-roughly the size that already goes with an RW but not critical as Dale will build around the motor, voltage-I'm guessing1-12Vs at very low amps 1-2? and nice and fast. So ,suggestions please, where possible with links to the Maxon site,so I can forward the info to Dale, then we can make a decision, and then I'll make the purchase.

peter clements
02-27-2012, 02:21 PM
would this one be ok? http://www.maxonmotor.com/maxon/view/catalog/ (http://www.maxonmotor.com/maxon/view/catalog/)

RE-max 17 Ø17 mm, Graphite Brushes, 4.5 Watt, with terminals
17.0 mm
4.5 W
12.0 V
8220.0 min-1
3.86 mNm

Brian
02-27-2012, 03:59 PM
I would stear him towards the Maxon A-Max model, comes in various sizes and voltages, I have used the 12mm and 16mm models. Your builders choice will depend on the motor housing on the machine but they have diameters from 12mm to 23mm in the that model..

Just a side note, some of the Maxon models are too powerful (IMO) for a tattoo machine... They still work but you lose fine tuning of the machine via voltage from the power supply so I would recommend getting a Motor that runs 7-9v rather than the 12v model you suggested...

The 16mm A-Max runs in that voltage range and would be a good choice if it will fit in the machine...

tugg
02-27-2012, 04:22 PM
great info , might upgrade my rotary works some day

peter clements
02-27-2012, 04:47 PM
great info , might upgrade my rotary works some day

Indeed Tugg, that's why this is the best Tattooists forum there is, we have members like Brian who's advice in situations like this is invaluable.

skinmech
02-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Spooky.....LOL...

aurelien
02-28-2012, 03:34 AM
I was thinking about doing the same actually !

jesoner79
02-28-2012, 06:43 PM
I would stear him towards the Maxon A-Max model, comes in various sizes and voltages, I have used the 12mm and 16mm models. Your builders choice will depend on the motor housing on the machine but they have diameters from 12mm to 23mm in the that model..

Just a side note, some of the Maxon models are too powerful (IMO) for a tattoo machine... They still work but you lose fine tuning of the machine via voltage from the power supply so I would recommend getting a Motor that runs 7-9v rather than the 12v model you suggested...

The 16mm A-Max runs in that voltage range and would be a good choice if it will fit in the machine...how much torque is too much

Brian
02-28-2012, 07:08 PM
how much torque is too much

Well, I don't have a figure on that just a feel for the machine, I have not liked any of the 12v motors I have tried... So, I could say 12v motors are too much but no torque measurement to validate that statement....