PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Rapier II

Shizzai
02-27-2012, 12:41 PM
After hearing all the good things everyone has to say about the Rapier II, I'm considering dropping the coins to try one out. In all the photos I see, it appears as though the top of the machine may be too thin to keep proper tension on the needle bar with a standard rubber band (unless you double wrap?), and I also don't see any type of needle glide or guide clip. My question is how are you guys maintaining tension on your needle bar to get proper ride?

OwlsDen
02-27-2012, 12:50 PM
I wrap my rubberband all the way around the back of my machine. If I feel I need more tension I wrap it around the higher part at the back of the machine. I can post a picture if this is confusing.

peter clements
02-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Needlerunners work ok with Rapiers don't they?

slicksteel
02-27-2012, 01:15 PM
yea needlerunners work great also the smaller size neuma #bands around the front guide and like owlsden said cary actuallty extended the plug area to loop the band around it better as compared to the rapier1

jboo75
02-27-2012, 02:08 PM
I use mine everyday with one "regular" rubberband., type you get 1000 for $5 us from kingpin.

wildboy
02-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Thank god the Rapier 2 doesnt have a needle clip... I already thought about cutting off the needle clip on my Bishop but I want to sell it and leave it as it soon... Rubber band are better imo but I like the neelde tensioner from the Dragonfly also.

Im not so sure about what a standard rubber band is? I bought some 40mm diameter one which are 1mm thick 2mm wide and one is enough on the Rapier II to have the needle sit properly. The extended plug area is the perfect place for the rubber band. I tried it on another spot when I got the machine and I had a lot of vibration from the needle and the ink was spraying because of that.

The Limey
02-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Another vote for the Neuma bands (#8?)

Baldrick
02-27-2012, 04:00 PM
I use these on my rapier, I run 2 of them and there a good size.

eBay item: 260755245273

Sorry could make a link for some reason

Shizzai
02-27-2012, 08:58 PM
I wrap my rubberband all the way around the back of my machine. If I feel I need more tension I wrap it around the higher part at the back of the machine. I can post a picture if this is confusing.

I hate to bug ya, but yeah, a picture would be great. Not quite following.

Shizzai
02-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Also, I used to scoff at needle clips as well until I picked up a Vivace from Neo-Tat. I have to say that I'm now a convert. As far as the Neuma elastics go, I'm pretty sure since Neuma had that whole fiasco with the backed up orders, they've quite selling tattoo supplies and are strictly working on filling existing orders and machine orders, but I may be wrong. Also, good luck getting a hold of those guys, I've been locked in heated back and forths over a delayed order and now trying to get a refund from them. Had to go directly to Carson to get anything done, and even at that it was like pulling teeth. Still waiting on my check seven months later, so good luck with that one.

OwlsDen
02-28-2012, 06:23 AM
I hate to bug ya, but yeah, a picture would be great. Not quite following.

http://img.tapatalk.com/32135cb5-b926-ce3a.jpg

Sorry no needle loaded but that is how I set up the rubberband

Shizzai
02-28-2012, 12:09 PM
That's crafty, thank you sir :)

jboo75
02-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Just to add because I just got off the phone with Cary , He is the easiest guy to deal with in my experience with buying machines. Super informative and tells you straight up no BS on how things are with his products. I will continue to use his machines throughout my career and am glad he makes them so well. Speaking of the machines they are far superior to most I have tried to date (and I have tried a bunch) of course it is to each their own but they do what they are supposed to, combine that with great customer service and whalaaa what else do you need really.

Shizzai
02-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Just to add because I just got off the phone with Cary , He is the easiest guy to deal with in my experience with buying machines. Super informative and tells you straight up no BS on how things are with his products. I will continue to use his machines throughout my career and am glad he makes them so well. Speaking of the machines they are far superior to most I have tried to date (and I have tried a bunch) of course it is to each their own but they do what they are supposed to, combine that with great customer service and whalaaa what else do you need really.

Yeah, I've pretty much heard that from everyone who has had experience with him and his company. After going through a series of logistics nightmares with Neuma, customer service plays a very big part in my decision making these days.

OwlsDen
02-28-2012, 04:43 PM
If it wasn't such a pain to get a machine over here I would have a few more. But yeah every question I have had, he has been super quick to answer.

Shizzai
03-01-2012, 04:57 PM
These things come with adjustable stroke length? I'm about to trade for one with slicksteel, just wanna make sure I'm getting what I think I'm getting.

Baldrick
03-01-2012, 05:00 PM
The new model has the same adjustable crank as fitted to the Treasure Chest - it can be changed from 2.5, 3.2 & 4.2mm by moving the bolt.