PDA

View Full Version : neo tat & rotary works

gangstajay
12-31-2010, 11:55 PM
So I was able to work 2 full days with the neo and the RW did some nice size tattoos and small ones.. used the RW with 9 mag and used the neo with 15 mag both machine stand neck to neck.. I am not sure what the stoke length is the RW but I love it..just right for my hand speed I did color and blk and grey did some ribs and neck tattoos.. the only problem I had was being careful to turn the power back down when switching back and fourth..lol the RW runs on about 3-4 volts and I was running the neo at about 12 to 13 with the big mag.. I am going to purchase the neo tat long stroke.

well this is my 2 cent on 2 great machines..thumbs up to ray and dale... I wish the swash drive builder would get on the site;)

Alie K
01-01-2011, 12:06 AM
D'oh! I hate when I do that! I'd love to get a new power supply with separate presets... I'm going to compare the critical and the new eikon and see what one I like better...

gangstajay
01-01-2011, 12:20 AM
on power supplys.. I have the old 200 eikon but was afraid to use it with any of my rotarys..I have one of those lab ones.. what is you opion ?

Administrator
01-01-2011, 09:49 AM
The original 200 I know a lot of artists who use it with Rotary Machines. Many of the Eikon knock offs will not work and the newer 200 and I think 250 will not. Ben from Eikon has an account on here, I should email him and ask him to give a list of the current power supplies they sell that will and will not run a rotary. I know when I last spoke to him he said most of the power supplies that will not just need a firmware upgrade that can be done by Eikon if you send it back to them. The newest one runs them for sure, I saw both NeoTat Machines and Stigma Machines run off of them at the Edmonton Tattoo convention.

If you have an Eikon Knockoff and it wont run a rotary you are pretty much SOL unless you buy the little converter box that dragonfly sells. In all seriousness the cost of that box plus shipping and the exchange makes it not worth it and you are probably better off getting another power supply be it Lab, Digital, or Analog and just selling the other to your apprentice ;)

gangstajay
01-01-2011, 10:46 AM
I have an original eikon.. got it when it 1st hit the market... I used it for a while but it seemed like the lab power supply i have ran the gen 6 better,but that could have been me being over careful. that lab one I have came from unimax had it before the eikon.. might try getting a ferit and using it.

Administrator
01-01-2011, 11:45 AM
As far as I know the power supply will only shut down if its not compatible. If the readout reads a 99% duty cycle some of the power supplies will shut down. 99% duty cycle means it thinks the relay cycle on a coil machine is not working and its going to short out the machine so it cuts the power.

The lab power supply might run the swash better because of the high amount of amperage that the supply will pump out vs some of the older digital power supplies that where developed with relay/coil machines in mind.

gangstajay
01-01-2011, 01:56 PM
I guess we should have done this in the power supply thread...lol I went thru the threads I picked up a ferit today and hooked up my eikon, also i think when I got my gen 6 I wasnt sure how much voltage to run them at so it seemed like I was running them high. the neo and the RW run great on the eikon.. I may save my pennies and get the new eikon, the gen 6 run good also now that I am more use to them

slicksteel
01-01-2011, 01:57 PM
stick with the lab they produce lower ripple and current noise.

The Limey
01-01-2011, 02:03 PM
stick with the lab they produce lower ripple and current noise.

Yep and if you drop a few extra bucks you can get them with multiple output channels you'd just need a little box to switch between outputs that way you wouldn't get the voltage worries when switching machines.

gangstajay
01-01-2011, 04:54 PM
on the swash webb site the 200 is listed as a power supply to use, hey dale and ray what do you suggest for you machine?

slicksteel
01-01-2011, 08:34 PM
friend has one of these run realy super smooth at a great price and made in the use pushs 35volts at 2 amps! realy sturdy built with a transformer so you get clean power and have 2 jack options.they only go for 80 plus 10 I checked up on them and the actual factory is in usa.

Administrator
01-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Do you have a link to the distributor?

rotaryworks
01-02-2011, 06:50 AM
hi all i use the power pack from maplins some suppliers do sell them they are amazing dont know off hand what its called when i get back to work i will put up what is they cheap as well £100 .................ok for all of you having a problem with rotarys not working on you power pack i done so much reserch on this now if you know what motor is in your machines then this will be easier so this should help if you have a model shop near you or an online model shop they might sell the same motors as in your rotarys if not no problem you need find the speed and volts of your motor this is where it gets fun you need to put an extra [ capacitor ] on the motor this then will make your motors run on all power supplies the reson i know and have tested this is i made one for my staff and he had a ems 300 and it just shut down so i was baffled this took me 6month to figer out drove me mad so thats it my motors take a 47uf capasitor[ ist also called a suppresion kit as well ] ......when you get your cap you need to solder to the conectors on the motor if anyone needs more info on this im glad to help you in any way i can i tattoo and get pissed when things dont work so i got solve it sad i know but if it makes our world easier thats what matters happy new year all dale

gangstajay
01-02-2011, 10:43 AM
thats good to know dale

slicksteel
01-02-2011, 12:15 PM
they are atualy on ebay under ustattoosupply71 aka master tattoo supply
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320577055261&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
i contacted them and confirmed the volts n amps
And here is the website:
http://www.ustattoosupply.com/eshop/product.php?productid=1513&cat=148&page=1
so ok i noticed they sell I.T.S. machine went to there site and they now have the same ps but it does not have the banana jacks on it and it is the same price. So may bethey are owned by the same company.(Go figure!)I do have a iron tattoo machine from its and it is made very well and should cost alot more then i paid for it from them.

rjdadio
01-05-2011, 01:10 AM
I have found the Mabuchi motors very forgivng when it comes to power supplies. Of course a good PS is the way to go with any machine. One thing I have found is that sometimes the motors in the rotary machines produce EMI (electrical noise) that messes with the power supplies....not the power supply messing up the machine. This is where a filter of some sort like the ferrites and caps come in. I have seen this happen on the lab power supplies as well, where the display will randomly change when the machine is running....the noise is messing up the digital meter.

The old Eikon 200 is a great little unit and runs rotary machines just fine. As it was explained in an earlier post, the newer Eikon models were not built to run rotary machines at all and if you had one that did....you were lucky......they normally shut down to "protect" the power supply because it thinks the points are stuck or the machine is shorted. The folks at Eikon did come to realize that alot of artists were moving into rotary machines, so if they were going to continue to sell power supplies.....they had to change their thinking. The newest model, the EMS400 looks to be a very cool unit. I have played with it and the clean sleek design is the bomb! It uses capacitive touch controls that work thru barrier wrap and gloves, so it shold be very nice to keep clean and sanitary.
Their last two power supplies, I was not impressed with....at all.....but I think they hit it right on with this guy!

tattooedpirate2
01-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Mastech.com has lab grade power supplies that are high quality at a reasonable price with fine and course voltage adjustments for millivolts. They also have 2 and 3 power power supply combos. I build a switching box for these so you can use standard clip cords and foot pedals, it also has a pot for adjusting the voltage on one of the hook ups. The better the voltage the longer the motor life as well as the stronger the coil on coil machines.