PDA

View Full Version : *NEW* Brass Vivace

Alie K
03-03-2012, 12:42 AM
So, I managed to get one of these babies.

All I can say is wow. Have not had a huge chance to use it yet. I literally only had one little tattoo (someone's house key with a chemical formula on it) that I had a chance to use it on. It's a long stroke machine. I used it for lining. It's amazing how the brass really absorbs every last little vibration (or so it seems to me).

It is brass, so yes, it's heavy(ish) when compared to the other Vivace machines, but it really doesn't weigh much more than an average coil machine. To use it for lining was a breeze - it had some really nice balance behind it. That is occasionally a problem I find with some machines. When they are too light, they are difficult to control and I don't always get the line stability I want (except for a few different ones here and there that have surprised me). I specifically have a machine for small liners, made by Safwan (of Imago Tattoo in Montreal). It's a lovely little machine but heavy. Really puts those skinny little lines in nice, though. That's what I like about this machine too. Really stable.

Not only does it feel stable, but it's just LOVELY! Nice shape and feel to it, and it has a really interesting patina to it. I am really looking forward to seeing how the brass ages.

I'll post some work I did with it as I get to use it. Super rad piece to add to the collection!!

DiarrheaSuitcase
03-03-2012, 12:46 AM
Thats a sexy lil machine! Would you say it is heavier than the orig neotats?

Is this something Ray will be offering or was this a special deal you guys worked out?

Alie K
03-03-2012, 12:59 AM
It is a little bit heavier than the original Neotats, but barely noticible in my eyes.

This began as an extremely limited run by Ray, but now that the few are in circulation and he is getting very good feedback on them (and because people are attacking him at conventions for them) he is considering making them in small batches. From what I understand, it's a pain in the butt to make them, as cleaning the milling machines is quite labor intensive and he loses at least a day, sometimes 2 by the time he changes everything back over from one metal to another - (he recycles all the metal scraps, and needs to make sure the aluminum and brass don't mix), so perhaps his price tags will reflect the extra effort he has to put into doing that.

Sage Oz
03-03-2012, 01:11 AM
Oooohhh so jealous. I really want to get one and biomech carve it

DiarrheaSuitcase
03-03-2012, 01:20 AM
Even though I'm a fan of the lightest possible machine, I would still love to play with one just to say I did. And to own one would be cool, especially if they might not be in mass production. Its like having a little piece-o-history.

Oooohhh so jealous. I really want to get one and biomech carve it

That would be so SICK!

Sage Oz
03-03-2012, 02:14 AM
Right!?!

Sage Oz
03-03-2012, 02:16 AM
Hey Alie can I carve yours? I can send you picks of some carvings so that you'll know I don't suck

chrishess
03-03-2012, 02:39 AM
yeah thats a coooool lookin machine. still havent tried neo but want to really bad. that one, though, looks like it should be in a relic sort of case or something

Shizzai
03-03-2012, 02:56 AM
I <3 my Vivace. I would kill someone in front of their grandma to get my hands on one of these.

Baldrick
03-03-2012, 02:57 AM
Some people get all the cool toys ;)

aurelien
03-03-2012, 03:20 AM
Lucky !!

Gabetexas
03-03-2012, 03:29 AM
wow! too cool!

The Limey
03-03-2012, 03:42 AM
Man, I'm still waiting on my Vivace and you get one of the cool brass ones!

turnrock
03-03-2012, 03:53 AM
That is awesome looking!

Bishopbyname
03-03-2012, 04:01 AM
My long stroke Vivace is my go to machine for colour packing and powerlining. I'll be getting a short stroke soon for b&g, can't wait. I would definitely get my hands on one of these brass ones when Ray does his next run.

thesmokingmirror
03-03-2012, 04:28 AM
would be nice if that slide bar was brass too :cool:

gangstajay
03-03-2012, 11:59 AM
thats really cool

asA
03-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Soo cool. I want one.

meansmile
03-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Nice looking machine! I want one!

Shizzai
03-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Eikon is having a contest now where the grand prize is one of the Hell City edition Vivace's. You guys should check that out, a red Vivace with the Hell City logo etched on it and Ray's siggy on the other side.

DiarrheaSuitcase
03-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Eikon is having a contest now where the grand prize is one of the Hell City edition Vivace's. You guys should check that out, a red Vivace with the Hell City logo etched on it and Ray's siggy on the other side.

Oooooooooo...... I want that.....

rjdadio
03-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Oh good, I'm glad to see Eikon's contest going now. I only did 50 of those last year for Durb. Doing another 50 for this years Hell City show with different artwork and stuff......and yeah I'll put my little squiggle on them too. Not that my signature is worth much of anything.....

The brass machines are going to be limited at first and the project started with Nick Chaboya. I am making a run for him that will have his signature on the side along with a few other touches that should set it off nicely. His machine will only be available in 3.5mm and with clipcord pegs. And his pegs are machined differently and they were going to be brass but the copper suggestion was thrown out and I thought "wow, that could be cool" so maybe copper. I spoke with Nick and he seems down with the idea. See, I pay attention to you guys!

Watch for NIX this June and come see Nick.

And the brass thing......my guys HATE brass. The brass gets everywhere! and the slivers and shards are terrible! We would much rather machine stainless than brass. I really need a couple of machines to do just brass and nothing else. I had this one job that ran for more than a year making these oil manifolds for some big company.......thousands of these stinking things. And the chips were tiny and sharp and got everywhere.....so I had to listen to a bunch of whiny babies. And now I say brass and....ARGGG. so I did these to show them it wasn't so bad, right.....I picked shards for a day.

But back to the brass machine......it weighs 6.8 ounces. My original NeoTats weighed 5.7 oz and I have reduced them down to 5.5 oz in later years. The Vivace in phono jack weigh 4 oz.

rjdadio
03-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Man, I'm still waiting on my Vivace and you get one of the cool brass ones!

I was thinking about you, but thought I would need to do yah a lime green machine, but didn't have em at the time. Then I did a small number of some really nice lime green ones......and forgot all about you. See how I am? No wonder people don't like me......lol

rjdadio
03-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Some people get all the cool toys ;)
I know.....the cool kids get the cool toys.

Hey if it weren't for Alie and her idea to start a rotary tattoo forum.....we wouldn't be here.

So, kudos for Alie......and some cool shit too.

DiarrheaSuitcase
03-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Oh good, I'm glad to see Eikon's contest going now. I only did 50 of those last year for Durb. Doing another 50 for this years Hell City show with different artwork and stuff......and yeah I'll put my little squiggle on them too. Not that my signature is worth much of anything.....

The brass machines are going to be limited at first and the project started with Nick Chaboya. I am making a run for him that will have his signature on the side along with a few other touches that should set it off nicely. His machine will only be available in 3.5mm and with clipcord pegs. And his pegs are machined differently and they were going to be brass but the copper suggestion was thrown out and I thought "wow, that could be cool" so maybe copper. I spoke with Nick and he seems down with the idea. See, I pay attention to you guys!

Watch for NIX this June and come see Nick.

And the brass thing......my guys HATE brass. The brass gets everywhere! and the slivers and shards are terrible! We would much rather machine stainless than brass. I really need a couple of machines to do just brass and nothing else. I had this one job that ran for more than a year making these oil manifolds for some big company.......thousands of these stinking things. And the chips were tiny and sharp and got everywhere.....so I had to listen to a bunch of whiny babies. And now I say brass and....ARGGG. so I did these to show them it wasn't so bad, right.....I picked shards for a day.

But back to the brass machine......it weighs 6.8 ounces. My original NeoTats weighed 5.7 oz and I have reduced them down to 5.5 oz in later years. The Vivace in phono jack weigh 4 oz.

Hey Ray, if you don't mind my asking... will the Hellcity red be available for custom order? Like, IF i don't win the Eikon contest, can I get a Vivace spec ordered in that sexy red? :) btw, I love my orange long stroke vivace!

Cesar
03-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Hey if it weren't for Alie and her idea to start a rotary tattoo forum.....we wouldn't be here.

So, kudos for Alie......and some cool shit too.

Amen to that brother!

The Limey
03-04-2012, 02:29 AM
I was thinking about you, but thought I would need to do yah a lime green machine, but didn't have em at the time. Then I did a small number of some really nice lime green ones......and forgot all about you. See how I am? No wonder people don't like me......lol

LOL its all good Ray ;)

tugg
03-04-2012, 06:31 AM
bummer , the eikon contest is only for canada and u.s.a:(

Baldrick
03-04-2012, 09:20 AM
bummer , the eikon contest is only for canada and u.s.a:(

Looks like we're just gonna have to save up and buy one ;) - its the next on my list.

rjdadio
03-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Hey Ray, if you don't mind my asking... will the Hellcity red be available for custom order? Like, IF i don't win the Eikon contest, can I get a Vivace spec ordered in that sexy red? :) btw, I love my orange long stroke vivace!

Never sure what colors I got......and I'm the one doing the anodizing! Yeah, I usually have some reds.....and that lime thing tooo. Give Karen a call at the shop and ask. You see.....I do these colors and have some on hand for special orders and she comes back when I'm not looking and gets an inventory of the cool stuff to sell over the phone.

Shizzai
03-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Not to get off topic, but any info on that cosmetic defect frame we were chatting about?

Administrator
03-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Not to get off topic, but any info on that cosmetic defect frame we were chatting about?

Best to give Ray a call at the workshop. I can tell you from expereince, he tries to get on here more than once a week but its usually that. West coast time zone and there usually m-f.

Dennis S
03-05-2012, 04:34 AM
I love my vivace, I've only used it a few times but I would kill to have one in brass.

CROWN Machines
03-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Nice machine !!!

Alie K
03-05-2012, 02:49 PM
I really do enjoy the lightness of rotaries when working for long periods, but when using larger configurations, I find it can actually be a little less tiring to have a machine with some weight behind it. I got to use it for coloring yesterday with 13 mag on a top of hip/waist area. Usually this area is squishy and annoying to tattoo, but the slight weight of the machine made it very easy.

It's one of the reasons I have no qualms about owning many types of rotaries. Some are heavier, some are lighter, with some, the give on them is helpful, with some, the lack of give is beneficial.

I'm really impressed with this machine so far, and if you get the opportunity to purchase one, I'd consider it. Really nice tool to add to the arsenal.

bmerck11
03-05-2012, 04:54 PM
what motor does the vivace use mabuchi,maxon,......? just wondering thankx

Administrator
03-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Mabuchi, same one the neotat has used from the start. :D

bmerck11
03-05-2012, 05:04 PM
yeah just found it in a different thread, thanks though. Its a very quite smooth motor for sure.