PDA

View Full Version : Dan Kubin...Cranker Review....

skinmech
03-03-2012, 10:38 AM
One of my Dan Kubins arrived today, thanks to onechance,,,,(other is with Customs:( nobodys fault)...
Here it is...7944..Machine has a nice bit of weight about it, very solid build and quality welds...frame geo is spot on and runs just above a whisper.... Full Review will follow...

thesmokingmirror
03-04-2012, 06:55 AM
Getting my second one from DiamondDave in a few days :cool: Such a solid machine!

skinmech
03-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Ok, so I finally got time do do this Review, and these Builds justice...See http://www.rotarytattoo.com/showthread.php/3606-Usual-Suspects for pictures of the Machines.I ordered a Blued 4mm Adjustable Cranker from Dan (368USD or £278 inc Tax) Prices include Shipping..I added this to the 3.0 mm Black and White Cranker I got from onechance (trade)..

As usual, I am not associated with the company, in any way. This is my impartial view based on my experience, and may not reflect your ability to get the most out of the Machine.http://dankubin.com/custom-rotary-machines/

Whats in the Box..Machine is well wrapped, and included is a good size tube of Tri-Flow Lube a Hex/Allen key, an Instruction Sheet. First thing you notice is the Weight and Solid, and I mean Solid in an Industrial sense of the word, built machine. Beautifully balanced, and almost simple in it's design, no bad thing, means there is less for me to break. I opted for the Clippy version,but,RCA is available.

How Does it Work..Operation is like the design, simple, dial in anywhere from high 4's (Volts) to low 6's (Volts) and anything you require, with the model of Cranker you have, will be in that powerband...Its as simple as that..

Setting your needle depth is easy, as the Vice provides excellent grip, and your elastic band is held in place with 2 intentionally placed securing screws.

How Does it Perform..With little or no give factor, it is up to the user to determine how this machine performs..In a word, I would say Faultless....I really haven't any thing negative to say about any of these Builds, honestly.The stroke is solid, and punchy, runs just above a whisper, and the weight of the machine is more comforting than cumbersome.....I don't know how long the White Paint will last, but, thats about all...

What Can it Do..Well I know the 4mm Cranker can Line like a dream at 8.0v's, why, because, I dialled in 4.8v's on my Eikon pre-set 1, then I dialled in 8.0v's for my Coil...And hooked up the Cranker, and never pressed pre-set 1....So I ran it blissfully at 8.0v's, and This is the Best Lining Machine, including Coils, that I have EVER ran out of the Box. I don't suggest you run at above 6.2v's, as it operates and Lines exactly the same, I checked with Dan and the motors are rated to 10v's. So plenty of Power, if you ever need it in these Machines. Lining is effortless, and this was a textured 11rl, one pass, solid and consistent, no ink splutter and will be great for fine detailing.The 3mm Cranker performs shading without any problems, and fine lining, probably be used, as suggested for B&G work... I know it handles mags, so I loaded up an 18 Round Shader, was like using a Sharpie, nice slow movements, created a solid one pass fill, no trauma...I couldn't ask for any more.

Summary..Dan suggests the power band with as 5-6volts, I would push that up to 6.5v's,but will depend on the individual, needle groupings and the job at hand..

My Opinion.. Simply put, probably the Best Machines I have ever used.....If you like Rotaries without any gimmicks, bells or whistles, and like simple Machines that will do exactly as the Builder says...Get one of these...These will sit beside my Rotaryworks and Bishop, I prefer Rotaries without any give, if you are the same, and don't have any of these, you may be missing out, and not reach your full potential...10 out of 10 for everything, plus like most Builders on here Dan is a nice Dude to deal with, and answers any questions asked...Would I buy another ??? I don't need to as the 4mm and 3mm will cover anything I throw at it, should you buy one ???....If you like no-give Rotaries, buy one, if you don't buy one anyway, you owe it to yourself...

pert
03-11-2012, 10:23 AM
well i must say thats one cracking review.

Sekt
03-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Agree with Skinmech I do (watching star wars too much). You can tell Dan has thought carefully about this machine. The give system is interesting in that you can add a little hard washer, which has a shoulder, into the arm, by taking off the nut and o-ring, and this results in zero give. using only the o-ring results in a tiny but perfect amount of give. I'm using t-tech, and the whole system is like an AK47, its a pleasure to use =]

skinmech
03-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Yep it has "minimal" give, and for that reason, and that reason only I would class it as a no give machine....I don't want people think this is a conventional "give " system machine, because it isn't..Just my opinion,but, it is a very special machine,anyone who has one will know what I mean.....

tugg
03-11-2012, 11:59 AM
I don't know if they are all the same but mine has adjustable stroke from 3mm -5mm . pretty quick and easy to adjust too

elbo
03-11-2012, 12:53 PM
ohhhh ive got a cranker coming....no doubt a addiction to a new builder will be thrust upon my poor soul!!!!!

biggboy
03-11-2012, 12:58 PM
great review,cant wait to get one myself...

Sage Oz
03-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Just ordered one a few days ago, lime green with purple parts....
Must....
Have....
Patience......

skinmech
03-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Patience is a virtue, and virtue is a grace....

skinmech
03-11-2012, 03:56 PM
well i must say thats one cracking review.

Well, it is a cracking machine....

biggboy
03-13-2012, 04:36 PM
finally placed my order and did the paypal thing with dan,about 5 min,after doing paypal transaction.dan calls to confirm order and asked my interest in machine setup...WOW.talk about great customer care and service.thanks dan.i am proud to be 1 of many to become an owner of a kubin machine..just excited to have up grade my arsenal of machines considering i started with a stealth.and within the past month i ordered a neotat vivace,rotary works,and now a kubin machine.i plan on some others in the future, :)

skinmech
03-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Well with a Neo-tat,a Rotaryworks, and a Kubins, you are well on your way....Long Live NO-GIVE.....:D

tugg
03-13-2012, 06:59 PM
I'll drink to that.;)

skinmech
03-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Raising a Glass....:)

Sage Oz
03-13-2012, 08:43 PM
I give GIVE the finger lol, well a bit of give is nice for shading....

Gabetexas
03-14-2012, 05:45 AM
Got me a Gold one coming in, soooo excited!

skinmech
03-14-2012, 06:19 AM
I can understand situations where "Give" is required, however, just adjust the Volts or use Handspeed instead....

skinmech
03-14-2012, 06:20 AM
Got me a Gold one coming in, soooo excited!

So you should be Bro.....Everyone should try this build...

PuzL
03-14-2012, 06:52 AM
I can understand situations where "Give" is required, however, just adjust the Volts or use Handspeed instead....

Exactly. And layering becomes key

peter clements
03-14-2012, 08:03 AM

I really like my DF short stroke,they're superb for B&G as anyone will confirm,however, I only turn the "Give" button down a tadge,and I don't really need to do that.I totally understand where people are coming from here, this "it must have give" business is well overblown. I've done some lovely shade work with my RW,and believe me ,they have no give,I was cleaning it one day and set it off by accident,it took a chunk out of my finger.

skinmech
03-14-2012, 08:41 AM
:rolleyes: LOL...I might be missing something, however, in the simplest of terms this is how I understand "Give".......Hit a Nail into a bit of Wood, using a Metal Hammer takes 2 maybe 3 hits, before it is Home..Hit a Nail into a bit of Wood, using a Plastic Hammer takes 7 maybe 8 hits, before it is Home......as I said I might be missing something, and it's not trauma...use of volts, and hand speed will prevent trauma, no matter what you use.... Only saying...

Sage Oz
03-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Had to chip in now that I've gotten to use my Cranker and I've got to agree, best performing machine I've ever lined with. In one word: Surgical. Only gripe I could fault is more with the finish: it's a bit sharp edged here and there and the paint, though awesomely cool and customizable, is a bit thinner and less durable than I would expect a powdercoat to be. Other than those small gripes A++++

Brian Russell
03-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Just ordered mine this morning! Stoked!

biggboy
03-30-2012, 01:09 PM
i am sold on dk's mini cranker as my liner.i have been using it daily and it feel like i am lining with a coil..great machine..a must have..

skinmech
03-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Told ya,LOL...;)

Sage Oz
03-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Yup Skinmech, you were correct about the Cranker, I bought mine partially due to your advice and love the thing.

Sekt
03-30-2012, 01:55 PM
What volts ya lining at Sage?

Sage Oz
03-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Confession to make, I keep spending my money on machines and still haven't bought a power supply with a meter yet, my old' Dermagraphics box still works great but I'm gonna get a Critical soon. I just turn it up til it humms and then change it from there as needed...

Sekt
03-30-2012, 02:08 PM
erm i'm finding it difficult getting solid lines with t-tech. Think i'm used to working faster, and getting used to cranker and slowing way down is a problem, as i'm conscious of ripping up the skin...hmmm

skinmech
03-30-2012, 02:11 PM
No t-tech for me...Just a trad 11rl, or 14rl, in a Cheap Plastic Dispo, turn of the Volume, like Sage says, til it "humms" LOL....And away I go...

elbo
03-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Yup Skinmech, you were correct about the Cranker, I bought mine partially due to your advice and love the thing.

Im not really a fan of mine!...another one to trade!

Sage Oz
03-30-2012, 02:35 PM
I've heard they aren't the best with ttechs don't have a clue why but a reg bar and disposable tube setup and it rulez, lines about as fast as any coil I've ever tried

Sekt
03-30-2012, 02:38 PM
No t-tech for me...Just a trad 11rl, or 14rl, in a Cheap Plastic Dispo, turn of the Volume, like Sage says, til it "humms" LOL....And away I go...
Prolly best that way, but t-tech has too many advantages for me, if I can manage to get it workable.

Here is something I found with DKMC, mind you, I say 'I' which means all others might not find the same thing. It doesn't matter which way the polarity is on the cranker, that is to the motor. But if the cranker polarity is reversed, meaning it runs clockwise, I found it needs a kick start (tap) to get going- but only with t-tech.
But if polarity is ok (anticlockwise), the machine runs fine on pressing foot pedal, again only with t-tech. Could be that my power supply is out, or lots of other things not related to the machine, but there it is.

another thing I found makes the cranker run sweet with t-tech is to have top band of elastic running over the nipple. This counteracts the elastic of the cartridge, machine runs effortlessly and less noise.

Classic Matt
04-02-2012, 03:57 PM
I have a Kubin on order as well can"t wait to use it.

Brian Russell
04-03-2012, 01:33 AM
Just got mine today and have only found one problem....I don't have enough cash to order another one just yet. Couldn't ask for a more solid tool. The weight feels so comfortable to me, as I prefer the weight of a coil for my lines. I feel like it adds stability with flawless precision. Worth every penny..

Sage Oz
04-03-2012, 01:45 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/4c163aaa-8d18-bfb4.jpg

Brian Russell
04-03-2012, 01:57 AM
Oooohhhhh....jealous. Do you make those needle tensioners yourself? And what is the one on the bottom?

Sage Oz
04-03-2012, 02:06 AM
Oooohhhhh....jealous. Do you make those needle tensioners yourself? And what is the one on the bottom?

Yeah I made those on a day I had a no-show. They are all updated now with better tensioners with the twisty loops for bit of spring. The one on the bottom is the infamous Rotar Shift2 and the top one is a collaboration between myself and my good friend Dwight Bomer.

thesmokingmirror
04-03-2012, 02:32 AM
That first one is really nice is that a long stroke liner?

Sage Oz
04-03-2012, 03:15 AM
Do you mean the copper one? Its meant to powerline as set up now, but it really shades well too. I love it for any big groupings. it has balls but is really smooth and steady. Copper and brass are high density and absorb vibrations not that it makes much. I've used it with a short stroke set up and it airbrushed in grey shading but is on the porky side for quick hand movements@155grams, so switched it out to a 5mm stroke to bold line, and with the Kubin I'm very pleased with my liners. Seems like anything that can line well can do most other jobs well too. The Rapier is fixed at 4.2 and has a bit of give but I can't quite mesh with it so I traded it. I've got a few machines yet to buy or awaiting delivery soon. I've also a couple of my own prototypes in the works too...

Gabetexas
04-03-2012, 03:19 AM
By far. The best machine I've used so far. Soooo good.

skinmech
04-03-2012, 03:27 AM
I've also a couple of my own prototypes in the works too...

Very interesting, need to keep us all posted on developments...

Sage Oz
04-03-2012, 03:35 AM
I did a few hours of fun loose black shading on a color freehand sleeve today with a curved 11 Mag and the Kubin performed flawless as it has with everything I've done with it.

Cthulhu73
04-11-2012, 12:53 PM
I got my "Storm Trooper" mini cranker back in march and love it, use it daily. Cant recomend them enough and Dan is a RAD dude to deal with.

Classic Matt
04-16-2012, 07:01 PM
I used my Kubin a couple times, it runs super smooth and puts the ink in like nobody's business. Love it.

skinmech
05-10-2012, 11:36 AM
It's been said before..DK all the Way...

mikeharris
06-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Have any of you guys tryed whip shading with one of the mini crackers? I really want one but I do alot of traditional work.

smiley
06-29-2012, 08:52 PM
they do it all ajust your hand speed turn up to about 5.8 and whip away my kubin is a fixed 4mm and theres nothing this machine wont do besides a 3 liner id go w a shorter stroke for that.

Deakon
06-30-2012, 03:18 PM
they do it all ajust your hand speed turn up to about 5.8 and whip away my kubin is a fixed 4mm and theres nothing this machine wont do besides a 3 liner id go w a shorter stroke for that.

I use mine with a 3rl all the time, set at 3.5mm though. I prefer dans direct drives for whip shading personally though.

thesmokingmirror
06-30-2012, 07:52 PM
I use mine at 4.2 for 3rl often and even used it for single needle a few times. I do use needlerunners on the cranker though dont know how much it affects the settings

wildboy
08-01-2012, 04:39 AM
Got a DK Cranker from Puffreis last week...

First impression wasnt too great I thought the abar is little bit wobbly (which I later found out is the dampening system which does an excellent job) and the paint job on the metal parts wont last forever.

But I did love the design of the machine from the very first moment its just cool as fuck! The size of the machine is great not too small not too big its just perfect for a rotary. Same goes for the weight its so easy to handle and not too light either... The whole frame design is eye candy specially the white machine with black parts. The screws for the rubber bands are great the rubber band holds the needle in perfect position.

I used it with a 7 round shader at 7V for filling only and I think I wont use it for anything else soon the performance is flawless the ink flies into the skin single solid pass action. Maybe I will use it for lining some day since everybody says its a great liner but Im very comfortable with other rotary liners at the moment.

Not much to say everythings been said and reviewed before I can only accord with everyone else that everybody should have a Cranker in their drawer. ;-)

Edit:

Just used it with a 7 round shader and lined with it. The machine does a killer job the lines are so solid and precise its unbelievable. This machine is magic!

Sekt
08-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Got a DK Cranker from Puffreis last week...

First impression wasnt too great I thought the abar is little bit wobbly (which I later found out is the dampening system which does an excellent job) and the paint job on the metal parts wont last forever.

But I did love the design of the machine from the very first moment its just cool as fuck! The size of the machine is great not too small not too big its just perfect for a rotary. Same goes for the weight its so easy to handle and not too light either... The whole frame design is eye candy specially the white machine with black parts. The screws for the rubber bands are great the rubber band holds the needle in perfect position.

I used it with a 7 round shader at 7V for filling only and I think I wont use it for anything else soon the performance is flawless the ink flies into the skin single solid pass action. Maybe I will use it for lining some day since everybody says its a great liner but Im very comfortable with other rotary liners at the moment.

Not much to say everythings been said and reviewed before I can only accord with everyone else that everybody should have a Cranker in their drawer. ;-)

Edit:

Just used it with a 7 round shader and lined with it. The machine does a killer job the lines are so solid and precise its unbelievable. This machine is magic!

What stroke length you have it set at ? Thats where the real fun begins. I have marks on mine so i can quickly switch it to 2.6mm or to 4.2mm depending on what I'm doing. At least until I can afford another =]

wildboy
08-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Its at 5mm... I dont wanna play with the stroke Im scared the magic goes away ^^ Id rather get another one first.

Sekt
08-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Amazing machine, it took me a while to trust it, and then I played with settings (nervously), and it shaded like a pencil, and lasered lines in like rollerball pen. Paint? well yes, RCA needs to be stronger too, but this isn't the most expensive machine out there. There is allot of work gone into making one. I especially like the clamp, give system, stroke adjustability, RCA. It just works, and there is a huge amount of thought put into its concept design, for example the weight is perfect [imo] it sits in the hand nicely, the force of the needle with give system and motor is balanced with weight. It has momentum. Ok I'm rambling =]

peter clements
08-01-2012, 03:42 PM
I use mine at 4.2 for 3rl often and even used it for single needle a few times. I do use needlerunners on the cranker though dont know how much it affects the settings

Needlerunners and a cranker are good friends, you get a great linear action.

Dan Kubin
08-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the kind words!
The paint on the parts is actually powdercoat. It's strong, and it will stay on for a long time;)
The only wear you should see is if you go loosening up the screws a bunch..
Cheers!

Sekt
08-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Great machine Dan- Often copied never equaled !

adamfromessex
08-02-2012, 03:04 AM
Yo Dan, the machine you built me is amazing, love it. Thanks alot, can't recommend the build quality and service enough guys, even if you are as "particular" as me ;) be getting another soon.
Adam

wildboy
09-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Sorry for digging up this thread again but I cant help it at the moment ;-)

Im using nothing but my mini Evolution and my 2 Crankers (3rd one will arrive tomorrow) for 2 weeks now cant say enough good things about the Cranker and how much I love these machines. I use a 5mm stroke for shading small areas and packing with a 7 round shader mostly and the other one with a 3.5mm stroke and a 9 mag for bng shading.. I never had a machine before that packs so solid and fast with a round like the Cranker does and same goes for bng shading. Its so easy to get a solid and smooth field of grey with the Cranker its unbelievable it feels like doing precise watercolor...

What a great tool kudos to Mr. Kubin

pinkfro
10-11-2012, 10:50 PM
I just ordered one! Distressed mint green with brass patina! Can't wait

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

spoonertattoos
10-12-2012, 02:03 AM
I didnt like it for lining at first but then I changed the stroke a hair and It was perfect. I actually just ordered another one !