PDA

View Full Version : aaawwwww f*#k it.....

Tiger Dan
03-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Hello peeps.
I have been happily running my brass rotary works for months and love it.
Recently I was replenished stock and ordered a shitload of tophat grommets from Barbers, which are normally quite hard and really good.
The new ones seemed a bit, well, brittle is the only way to describe them.
I set up as normal, bagged up, and was about ten mins into shading when I heard a rattle. Stopped, set up another machine and carried on (so as to not unsettle and already nervy first timer).
When I later unbagged the Rotary works, the grommet had completely disintegrated..WTF....., luckily there was a needle runner in the tube.

I now have a rotary works that has a nice black shitty piston.
What I need to know is do any of you great peeps know how to correctly take it apart so that I can use it again.

I have contacted Barbers to say thanks for sending shit grommets.

It's like loosing part of my hand not being able to use it.

Cheers.

Deakon
03-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Pop a little nylon washer over the nipple before putting a grommet on and it won't disintegrate. As for the videos, dale has made one, check YouTube or dales Facebook.com/rotary works.

Tiger Dan
03-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Pop a little nylon washer over the nipple before putting a grommet on and it won't disintegrate. As for the videos, dale has made one, check YouTube or dales Facebook.com/rotary works.

Thanks for the reply matey.
I have had a thin washer on it from day one...??, that's what has confused me.
It has run with no problems for months, the only time it has ever happened was with this new grommet.

I will look for through video mate.
Cheers

Sekt
03-30-2012, 04:51 PM
You know oil is like acid to rubber? it makes it brittle, and disolves it, depending on the oil of course. Thats why silicone rubber is used allot in the auto industry. Natural rubber is never used where oil is present.