PDA

View Full Version : Angel

Dusan
04-02-2012, 06:29 AM
This is design which I draw to friend of mine. He want angel with name on paper. We will start with tattoo in next weekend. What do you think?

OwlsDen
04-02-2012, 12:37 PM
I would hand letter the text on there. Anything off the computer will never look right.

vodu
04-02-2012, 12:40 PM
real sweet

nivek
04-02-2012, 04:55 PM
I love the image, but i think the scroll is just too big. But thats a matter of opinion, the scroll is just dwarfing the lettering

thesmokingmirror
04-02-2012, 05:16 PM
I feel the same way, at the moment the scroll is the dominant figure and taking up to much space that can be way cooler. He looks kinda funny that small it would work better if he was a cherub or if you made him bigger maybe just the bust but the artwork itself is nice

tugg
04-02-2012, 05:22 PM
I agree there ,don't like the scroll one bit would be nicer to have the lettering on some scrolling banner but this dominates the picture looks like he having a go hanging wallpaper.

tugg
04-02-2012, 05:24 PM
I agree there ,don't like the scroll one bit would be nicer to have the lettering on some scrolling banner but this dominates the picture looks like he having a go hanging wallpaper.nice pencil work though

e_Bangs
04-02-2012, 05:33 PM
illustrator is ya friend when it comes to lettering

Sekt
04-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Think its too easy to get stuff from the net, and slap it on to someone. Allot of stuff I see now looks like a transfer, and not a real tattoo. For me, real tattoo is about fitting the tattoo the the body part.

I see people here get credit for various tattoos, because they are technically very good. But what allot of tattooists don't notice while looking at the ink, is the dam tattoo looks like a f sticker! With this tattoo, I would suggest you somehow fit the scroll and angel to the body part. For example, you could have the scroll twist right around the arm, or above the angel. Or the wings of the angel could be either side of the arm, with the hand gesturing the old symbol of the angels 'Quod est inferius est sicut quod est superius'.

The picture you've drawn is very good. It is not wooden, but has a nice flow to it.

Sage Oz
04-03-2012, 01:17 AM
Where is the tattoo going to be placed?

Dusan
04-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Tattoo is going to be placed on ribs. I agree with you guys that scroll is too big, but my friend want to put six or seven names on it and he want to leave a empty space for another name that he probably put in future. :) I now that sounds funny, but I don't know how to solve this problem. At first he want only names. The angel is my idea.I just type text on to scroll see how its fit. Do you have any suggestion?

e_Bangs
04-03-2012, 10:57 AM
what does the customer want??

Sage Oz
04-03-2012, 12:46 PM
He wants every name of anybody he's ever met that's died before him written on him to prove how much he cared and so he doesn't forget their names, friggin another walking obituary section.....where are these people coming from?!?!? It's so morbid and boring....
Hope he lives to be 150 and has to get like 80 script names written everywhere!

Sage Oz
04-03-2012, 12:55 PM
My suggestion at this point is to scrap the angel and banner, just do all those fancy script names best you can on his shakey ribs and take his money and move onto a real tattoo where you can be artistic. This guy sounds like another young kid getting his first tattoo and has no imagination so decided on his dead friends' names on his ribs because it'll make him look like all his other young Christian conservative emo douchebag friends...

Sekt
04-03-2012, 01:16 PM
I'd hate to be tattooed by you Sage Oz while your in that mood !

Sekt
04-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Tattoo is going to be placed on ribs. I agree with you guys that scroll is too big, but my friend want to put six or seven names on it and he want to leave a empty space for another name that he probably put in future. :) I now that sounds funny, but I don't know how to solve this problem. At first he want only names. The angel is my idea.I just type text on to scroll see how its fit. Do you have any suggestion?

But Sage Oz is completely correct, i've said this before, and was castigated for it, but that makes me say it again- text is shit, especially names. the only one I seen which I liked so far was the word "someday" tattooed i think by Alie K? although I might be wrong.
I'd suggest you sit down with your friend, and if he/she really wants this, ask him/her if they can think of symbols connected to the people instead. simple things maybe that the persons loved or were passionate for while alive. That way you remember the people tastefully, and get to use artistic skill. Perhaps one person loved walking in the woods? Draw a golden leaf, with exquisite detail, or an acorn to remember them by.
Or maybe another person loved cars? Draw a symbolic key, or a road which leads to the sun in the distance. Or maybe another was passionate about football etc etc..

Sage Oz
04-03-2012, 02:21 PM
I'd hate to be tattooed by you Sage Oz while your in that mood !

It's only BS tiny lettering and inspirational quotes and bible verses that get me this pissed...

e_Bangs
04-03-2012, 03:25 PM
It's only BS tiny lettering and inspirational quotes and bible verses that get me this pissed...if you tattooed where i was youll just be one pissed off dude lol

skinmech
04-03-2012, 03:51 PM
My suggestion at this point is to scrap the angel and banner, just do all those fancy script names best you can on his shakey ribs and take his money and move onto a real tattoo where you can be artistic. This guy sounds like another young kid getting his first tattoo and has no imagination so decided on his dead friends' names on his ribs because it'll make him look like all his other young Christian conservative emo douchebag friends...

I agree totally with Sage on this one....

Sage Oz
04-03-2012, 03:59 PM
It's crazy here in Bellevue with that. I have a decent amount of large scale projects that are cool but nearly all new customers are wanting lettering these days it's crazy like half of what we do is tiny script...these people won't listen to reason think they know everything already but have zero art education appreciation or imagination and are so hard to convince otherwise think that it's so beautiful looking like a bumper sticker....
Sorry I'm so off topic with my rant...
Sekt is right about trying to find an image for them but then you're going to have to arrange 7 items of randomness but hey it could look cool if artistically done. There's a great thread on here with a link to a great argument against lettering...anybody remember? And that awesome street motorcycle tattoo that was posted the other day- a great example of where the artist was able to convince the client into an cool piece of art that wasnt the same old cross and banner RIP that been done done a zillion times...

Sekt
04-03-2012, 04:53 PM
100% dude

I just threw out a few stupid ideas, cause there is not much leeway to work with here. I'm saying same thing as Ozzy but you should go back to client, and refuse to do the tattoo. Tell them (even if it is your friend) you don't want your reputation associated with a tattoo which you KNOW will give a poor result. Client will respect you, or they will bad mouth you, which is the same as advertising. But even if they go with someone else, they will respect your wisdom in this maybe 5 10 years from now.

Invertedpixel
04-04-2012, 05:50 PM
It's only BS tiny lettering and inspirational quotes and bible verses that get me this pissed...
Yeah but it puts food on the table...and pays for the supplies we use on the really cool stuff, which we know we never charge enough for :P

Invertedpixel
04-04-2012, 06:03 PM
100% dude

I just threw out a few stupid ideas, cause there is not much leeway to work with here. I'm saying same thing as Ozzy but you should go back to client, and refuse to do the tattoo. Tell them (even if it is your friend) you don't want your reputation associated with a tattoo which you KNOW will give a poor result. Client will respect you, or they will bad mouth you, which is the same as advertising. But even if they go with someone else, they will respect your wisdom in this maybe 5 10 years from now.

OWWWww are we that well off that we can just turn away work like that? We're not fixing a god awful mess...

Lettering can be tedious, but typography can be beautiful as long as you give it life with your hand and not type up lifeless computer letters. Turning away lettering should be a no-no unless you are that booked up that you don't need the money.

Instead of looking at it as another piece of bullshit lettering, why not take an oppurtunity to experience some artistic growth and try to make a really wonderful typography design? You indicated that the names were the main point of the tattoo for the customer, so just draw the names as best you can...BJ Betts lettering guides are great examples of how gorgeous typography can be...

Now if you are just sweating doing script letters on someone's ribs from an execution standpoint then it's up to you to realize that a customer shouldn't have to suffer with a tattoo they didn't really want because of your personal insecurity with your ability ( not that I'm saying that's the case ) Then you should pass the tattoo on to someone who does feel comfortable doing what the customer asks, because I really don't think what the customer wants is unreasonable

artoftatt2
04-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Tell bj betts that lettering is shit. I don't know but lettering is a craft in it's own sense.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?avu1rz

Sage Oz
04-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Yeah but it puts food on the table...and pays for the supplies we use on the really cool stuff, which we know we never charge enough for :P

It keeps me from doing beautiful artwork that still puts food on the table. And nearly every lettering tattoo I do takes way more consult and drawing time and prep time for what's being charged. 20minutes of needle time and 3hours of stupid people and controlling and nitpicking and yapping about they're teeny tiny inspiration quote and how beautiful it is. Im learning to say no more often and it makes me happier

Sage Oz
04-04-2012, 06:35 PM
I try to add flair but every itty bitty change from the simplest plain boring letters that they bring in on the damn phone screen to copy are already too wild and risqué. It's like they're trying to make it as nonexistent as possible. Sure I like doing beautiful artistic lettering done to a decent scale and flow with the anatomy. I'm talking about the people that want an entire book printed in microfiche straight across the wrists...

Sekt
04-04-2012, 10:16 PM
OWWWww are we that well off that we can just turn away work like that? We're not fixing a god awful mess...

Lettering can be tedious, but typography can be beautiful as long as you give it life with your hand and not type up lifeless computer letters. Turning away lettering should be a no-no unless you are that booked up that you don't need the money.

Instead of looking at it as another piece of bullshit lettering, why not take an oppurtunity to experience some artistic growth and try to make a really wonderful typography design? You indicated that the names were the main point of the tattoo for the customer, so just draw the names as best you can...BJ Betts lettering guides are great examples of how gorgeous typography can be...

Now if you are just sweating doing script letters on someone's ribs from an execution standpoint then it's up to you to realize that a customer shouldn't have to suffer with a tattoo they didn't really want because of your personal insecurity with your ability ( not that I'm saying that's the case ) Then you should pass the tattoo on to someone who does feel comfortable doing what the customer asks, because I really don't think what the customer wants is unreasonable

Sorry invertedpixel, its not about the money, its about integrity. its not about getting paid, but about something I believe in. Its not about a stoopid drawing but about someones skin they'll have for the rest of their lives. And when we'er long gone, and made our cash, and that person 40 years from now will curse they day they allowed a professional, who is supposed to have artistic merit, and integrity, placed a tattoo on us which makes us look like a walking obituary.
I'm 46, and i know how we change over time. Some things that seemed a good idea at the time, loose their appeal. Do I care about that? yep, i do. Maybe thats not cool.. but as I said -
its not about the money invertedpixel. Maybe you don't give a flying F, but i do.