PDA

View Full Version : New to Rotary's..need Opinions

theskindoctor
04-08-2012, 09:28 AM
I have used a few knock off rotary's in the past few weeks and love the way they put ink in the skin..about 17 years ago i used to tattoo with a home made machine when i was just playing around and in my opinion a rotary is a hopped up version of a homa made machine..i have been tattooing professionally since 1999 and have always used coils machines but would love to switch after what i have seen these machine do..Can someone please tell me their opinion of what u would go out and buy? i want a machine that is going to last me and not be a waste of money..thanks for ur help and btw i love this forum..
Also what is the difference in a swiss made motor? there are alot of knock offs on ebay..

OwlsDen
04-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Well what do you want it to do? What price range do you want to stay in? What style tattooing is your primary? Everyone has different needs and opinions, what do you have your coils tuned like?

wildboy
04-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Just start somewhere maybe with a no give machine like the Neo Tat or a Bishop. A give machine machine where the give cant be adjusted like the Rapier would be another option maybe so you dont have to fiddle around with adjustments and get used to rotaries more. You will buy a lot more in future once youre hooked ^^

Which knock off models did you use? I had a couple of Swiss and Swashdrive knock offs before I started buying professional machines.

theskindoctor
04-08-2012, 12:22 PM
i have all different types of coil machines..dringenbergs, next gens, sobas, aaron cains ect..i got them all set of differently..some for lining, some just for black and gray, and some for color packing...the rotary i would love to have just for color work and black and grey..i got enough great liners that are coil machines and prob wont ever give them up..as far as the price range i wouldnt want to go over $400...i seen those ones from eikon that r $600 and i think they r too much

Sage Oz
04-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Dan Kubin has his production finish crankers priced at $325 and they are awesome and versatile machines...

OwlsDen
04-08-2012, 12:49 PM
The rapier II is a great machine, liner, shader, color packer at 350$ I do hear good things about the DK cranker like Sage mentioned. A production base model at 325$ sounds pretty good too. The swiss Machine is great for color packing and black shading National has them for 350$, Rotary Works are about 200$ I love mine for color work and black and gray, Treasure chest is a great color blending and gray wash machine at 375$ I think, one of the best color and black and gray machines in my opinion is the Centri but that is 600$ Also consider Slava he is a member here and he hand builds machines for 250 euro, and I am waiting on one myself they are seriously cool machines. he will also make them in different frame styles, but there is a wait time of about 6 weeks.

Brian Russell
04-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Dan Kubin has his production finish crankers priced at $325 and they are awesome and versatile machines...

Really can't go wrong with the cranker. I have way more pricy machines collecting dust since I got mine.

theskindoctor
04-08-2012, 01:31 PM
thanks for the info..i am checking on the treasure chest because i have also heard good things about that too..i can only imagine what the real deal rotary's will do because the knock offs aint too bad at all..have u tried the rapier 2? how about that cranker

theskindoctor
04-08-2012, 01:38 PM
where do his machines come from? are they us made or overseas..i found his website.

OwlsDen
04-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Rapier II is one of my favorites, i just bought a second one. I have a treasure chest too, but I like the rapier a little more. he makes the machines himself in the US and uses a German motor. Cary is also a great guy and even though I feel like I must bug the shit out of him sometimes, he always answers questions.

Think Ink
04-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Hi first time to post but have been reading almost everyday for a month or so, I like the Skindoctor have only recently started using a few knock off copy machines, as I tried using old old rotaries that a guy I worked for had and a few times I tried his Neumas.
But never really took to them but recently a friend got into the Dragonflys and swore by them, so tried that and liked it, so rather than laying out £400 for one I got a cheap one to play about with and to be honest I can't believe that I have took to it so well.
I am now going to get a few proper rotaries, at the min I like the dragonfly but after reading here I have took a strong liking to the Nedz machines and the Stigma's so might start of with a Nedz, also came across a machine can't remember the name of it now on the DTS website that I liked the look of but can't seem to find it now on there, but I was reading up on here about them from the Phillipines ? I think it was.
Also like to say that I was surprised how helpfull most of the guys on here are, some seem to go out of their way to help, so hope to maybe post a bit more and learn more too.
Thanks

Think Ink
04-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Just found the machine I was talking about a Rotar but don't know if I should wait to get a bit more feedback on it

throwhammers
04-08-2012, 03:01 PM
No, no. Steer clear of the Rotar for awhile. There's some issues there. Some forum members have them and love them, but if you search Rotar on the forum you can read up a bit on the issues surrounding that machine (though nin from Rotar is supposedly working to address the issues).

Deakon
04-08-2012, 03:12 PM
If you do get a stigma or dragonfly they are very desirable to trade if you want to swap them out at a later date. Same with the rapier 2.

Think Ink
04-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Throwhammer cheers for the heads up they're a nice looking machine but as you said I will wait a bit as I have been reading up on them on here.
Deakon yeah as I said I like the D/fly and found it really smooth and just liked the overall feel of it, as for the Nedz I like the look of them and from what I have read are a pretty solid performer I think the fact that the builder is a member here and seems only to willing to help out steers me towards them. though at the mo im just trying to read up as much as I can.
Thanks Lads

tatu richie
04-08-2012, 03:28 PM
nedz is a great machine... the hyper is great and the centri... i use them all amongst others as well as the rapier. but stay clear of the rotar.... (CRAP) i had one and was disgusted

Invertedpixel
04-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Neo tat is great! Top quality machines at an affordable price. Plus they have awrsome customer service. Theyy are made in the US so you can get one shipped I a jiffy as well