PDA

View Full Version : Intuition Pneumatic Rotary Machines

Dreviltattoo
04-08-2012, 01:37 PM
this was in response to someone from here that found me on FB and wanted to know about the intuitions. i figured i would share and will post more after i use them longer.

oh hey. hunted me down huh? lol.
i plan on putting up a review but i only have about 16hrs on them so far. they are not like any other machine i have ever used. the first time was really weird and not what i expected. i thought they were gonna run similar to an n2 but they didn't. the give range is ridiculous. you can run it super slow and barely touch the skin, slow the hand speed and it blends better than a hyper v2. i usually use bug pins for color blending and i don't see any need to now. i'm still using bug pins for black and grey and again the blends are super ez. at one point i was blending out straight black with ease. up till now i've been using a hybrid LS for lining which is ok if you can manage to get the elastic tension perfect. my first lining experience with the intuition was also not what i expected. it has a 3mm stroke which i thought would be a little short and i usually like a longer stroke for lining. i used a Mithra 7 RBLT (super tight) which i used all the time and 2 #8 elastics. with the intuition it felt like i was using a 3 liner. now i only use 1 elastic and it's still like a laser. there is pretty much no needle "wobble" with the intuition so a step up on liner groupings may work out best. i believe neotat recommends the same thing because of the needle clip. The weird part about lining was that the machine weighs almost nothing and with a disposable it feels about as heavy as a sharpie so you have to actually push into the skin how deep you want the needle to go. by the end of the first day (8hrs straight out as usual) i was completely comfortable with the machines as if i had been using them for yrs. The only thing i haven't done with them so far is color packing. I'm not sure if it will be may fav for packing because of the weightlessness so i may keep my hybrid LS just for tribal and what not. I also haven't tried any large groupings but I'm sure it will be a dream with a 17(largest i use).
the only issue i have had with it is trying to figure out the best way to bag the machine. the exhaust is straight out the back of the machine so it blows the bag back which in turn puts the front against the armature nipple which can slow the machine. Brian said he is going to have another vent plate with a hose available in the next couple months. Honestly, i may just not bag them until then because it's kinda driving me nuts. the machine is almost noiseless. all u hear is air blowing against the bag which is a nice switch from the annoying winding plastic sound of the hybrids.
I have been in constant contact with Brian Abbott the owner/inventor of the intuition and he has been able to answer all of my questions and has made himself easily accessible and friendly. i've been put back on the waiting list so i can get a 3rd machine. I'm absolutely addicted to blending with these machines.
I'm gonna go ahead and copy and paste this on the forum. Feel free to add me on FB and check out my progress with the machines and pics of the machines etc. Facebook.com/dreviltattoo
Thanks,
Rob Levis

Intuition Tattoo Machines
04-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks for taking the time to write your thoughts about the machine. I guess you pretty much said it all, hopefully some of the forum members on here see this while they are waiting their machines to show up. I also like to hear the feedback from customers. "I'm not about" selling a machine without directions or support.

By the way...after you paid for the machine...how many months did you have to wait for it to show up? :D

Sage Oz
04-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Awesome review, I gotta rob a bank!

Dreviltattoo
04-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Lol. Brian u had my machines in my hand 2 days after I paid and answered all my questions even though I'm a pain in the ass and stalked u for the last 2 months while I was awaiting the release. Check out my FB. I just tagged u guys in a pic. I'm blending the shit out of everything. Loving color more every day. :p

Dreviltattoo
04-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Sage just sell something. It will be worth it.

Dreviltattoo
04-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Oh yeah. I packed some black today at 19psi with NO prob. Bye bye neumas.

Sage Oz
04-09-2012, 11:55 PM
I'm sure I will. I just need to get a compressor and hardware since I'm coming from electric. I still want to keep my rotaries just in case and as backup and for travel. The work I've seen done with them so far has been very impressive.

Sage Oz
04-09-2012, 11:56 PM
Hey Brian do you think it'd be possible to add a small micron filter to the exhaust port?

Dreviltattoo
04-10-2012, 12:42 AM
I just got some in and they are bigger than u think. I'm going to put it at the end of my 2 other filters and right before the line for the machine. Ur best bet to contact Brian fast is on FB.

Sage Oz
04-10-2012, 01:15 AM
I was thinking about using an aluminum RC fuel line filter with hepa filter from a vacuum cleaner, I could make a bunch and clean it out and replace the filter after each tattoo (attached to the exhaust port of the machine)I'd also like to see a lightweight maybe clear and autoclavable or sterilant compatible hardshell that can fit over the machine and seal to keep all bio enclosed and vented out through a hepa filter. No more bags but still everything airbore contained until after the cleanup. Or maybe a disposable cover like a face mask that could go over the entire thing with a simple framework to keep it from touching the works. Pneumatic systems already allow for replaceable airline each tattoo which I love the idea of. No more clipcord bags!

Dreviltattoo
04-10-2012, 01:19 AM
i replace my hose periodically. if you filtered the vent it would slow the machine. same if it's blocked in any way. Brian said we can spray right on the machine with germicidals. the new vent plate will have a hose that you can run out of the bag and i believe there will be a couple other options as well.

Sage Oz
04-10-2012, 01:32 AM
That'll work to start but I really think a disposable swisscheesed paper eggshell covered in micron filter would have plenty of airflow and keep everything nasty nicely contained.

04-10-2012, 04:00 AM
Hey Brian do you think it'd be possible to add a small micron filter to the exhaust port?

I'm sure you could (with the new exhaust plate) but I don't see the need for it if your air is filtered before it enters the machine. The new plate will allow the exhaust to travel back down a hose away from the tattoo. By the way I keep a Swashdrive around for travel.

... and Robs right, The Intution Facebook page will bring the quickest response.

Sage Oz
04-10-2012, 04:01 AM
Cool thanks!

JohnnyChaos
04-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Sounds cool. Think I should be on the waiting list :)

artoftatt2
04-10-2012, 07:21 PM
I wish I would've got on the waiting list

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?p51goa

Dreviltattoo
04-10-2012, 07:30 PM
I wish I would've got on the waiting list

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?p51goathe wait isn't that long. hit Brian up on FB or email them at [email protected] they'll get you on your way. he told me 2-3 weeks before the list is done and then regular orders will start up.

thesmokingmirror
04-10-2012, 07:47 PM
What is the main draw to this system, it seems like a lot of extra parts (compressors,etc..) and wouldnt be ideal for traveling. So what does this provide that is worth all the hassle? It must run really well and have great control right?

Sage Oz
04-10-2012, 10:51 PM
I think the a main attraction for me is the simplicity of the system, once set up, and as a dedicated shop system. The soundproofed compressor can be in a far room with a dedicated line coming down from the ceiling or through a wall to the station where it is essential fed through valves to the simplest machine available. I also love it because Kevin Griffin and myself synchnistically(?) had come up with the idea when we tried each others equipment to tattoo one another and noticed a similarity in my swashdrive and his neumas and started talking about a hybrid system. I drew up some simple designs but never took it further. Low and behold a year later I hear about the first hints about the Intuition and it's so cool that someone took it so far! Brian made it so simple clean and efficient, it's very apparent to me that the design and manufacture is highly efficient and versatile. A pneumatic system has infinitely smooth pressure and compression dampening abilities, a variable spring rate which should smooth it out better than any mechanical spring dampening can offer.

04-10-2012, 11:49 PM
the wait isn't that long. hit Brian up on FB or email them at [email protected] they'll get you on your way. he told me 2-3 weeks before the list is done and then regular orders will start up.

"Your killing me Smalls"...The waiting list not being that long is a slight understatement. We have sent out a bunchof machines, and right now we still have just under 100 people on the waiting list. To make matters worse, Every single person that has received their machine has asked for more. We sold 13 machines to just 5 people! We are working on streamlining our production now, so we should be able to get 50 or more machines out the door per day. That won't happen for a few weeks. We're trying to get these out as quick as possible but I'm not going to sacrifice anything to do it.

The Main draw to the system is this:

**So why Air?... because air works on pressure. When your powering a machine with air, the instant the needle makes contact with the skin, the needle slows down. The air pressure then has to build enough to be able to puncture the skin. This battle slows the "hit" of the machine to more of a "push". This also allows a smoother feel, and less damage which allows faster healing and a lot of layering. You can also make nemourus passes over the same spot and still cause less damage to the skin. It also hurts less than having a machine "slapping" the needle into the skin. Air also has a "true give". Some machines provide an "artificial give" using springs (which is fine). My only issue with using springs for give is that "all springs" are rated for a certian range of compression force. They are limited to that range for their give. Air doesn't have that range, which allows an "unlimited give" range. The other issue with using springs for "give" is all springs have a "duty cycle". They can be rated for 200k or 500k etc. each time you compress the spring and it returns you have used "one cycle" when 75% of that duty cycle range has been used, the spring starts to die. You may notice in your Rotarys and Coils start to act funny before the springs just don't work anymore and need to be replaced. That's why I don't use any springs in the machine. Now just to clarify, I am not saying springs are bad or Rotarys are bad. I have them and I have used them. There's nothing wrong with a builder using springs in a machine. There are different machine designs for a reason, it allows the users of our creations to have different expierences. Like they say "different strokes for different folks".

Sage Oz
04-11-2012, 12:02 AM
Congrats on the success! Im looking forward to using them!

Dreviltattoo
04-11-2012, 11:00 AM
I think the a main attraction for me is the simplicity of the system, once set up, and as a dedicated shop system. The soundproofed compressor can be in a far room with a dedicated line coming down from the ceiling or through a wall to the station where it is essential fed through valves to the simplest machine available. I also love it because Kevin Griffin and myself synchnistically(?) had come up with the idea when we tried each others equipment to tattoo one another and noticed a similarity in my swashdrive and his neumas and started talking about a hybrid system. I drew up some simple designs but never took it further. Low and behold a year later I hear about the first hints about the Intuition and it's so cool that someone took it so far! Brian made it so simple clean and efficient, it's very apparent to me that the design and manufacture is highly efficient and versatile. A pneumatic system has infinitely smooth pressure and compression dampening abilities, a variable spring rate which should smooth it out better than any mechanical spring dampening can offer.welll said. the give is perfect and u can just turn it up and it's got less give. it's got me tattooing better already. it's more of a deliberate placement of ink and tones and makes it more fun than ever.

Dreviltattoo
04-11-2012, 11:10 AM
i also have a water separator and an additional self draining filter before my second regulator(low pressure). now i'm adding mini micron disposable air drying filter right before the machine. this is probably overkill, because i don't get any water at the second filter, but all these things are really cheap. the system is easy to set up. my compressor is ultra quiet but still in another room piped over thru the drop ceiling. my room is almost silent again. all i have to think about is what i'm tattooing.

JohnnyChaos
06-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Got my email today. Nearly forgot about it. Are you guys still enjoying yours?

slicksteel
06-19-2012, 02:14 PM
dreviltattoo ,can you post some work done with -work done with the neuma beside work done with the intuition.

darkness
06-20-2012, 01:02 AM
Hi , I have a compressor for my airbrush and would like to know whether this is
http://www.amazon.com/Airbrush-Depot-High-Performance-Cylinder-Compressor-Regulator/dp/B005GLISXY/ref=sr_1_60?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1340167486&sr=1-60&keywords=compressor

thanks for the info

asA
06-20-2012, 01:05 AM
They say they are more efficient than the neumas... And neumas use 2 to 3 cfms. And that compressor will do that. So you should be ok... The compressor will just always be on trying to keep up.

Sage Oz
06-20-2012, 01:09 AM
From what I've read and remember from the intuition web site is that they need appox 1cfm and at least a 5 Hal reserve tank. Yours should be more than adequate, but will probably burn out in a years daily use.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away...

asA
06-20-2012, 01:14 AM
If you're busy and dont use a footswitch that thing will run and run and run... And die. I never had any luck with compressors. That's what made me switch away from air. Although I set my station up to run neuma/intuition in anticipation of getting a intuition soonish.

darkness
06-20-2012, 01:19 AM
thanks for the quick info - it's enough for test without to need a new compressor

Sage Oz
06-20-2012, 01:23 AM
I'm also very interested in an intuition setup but I don't have an extra $2K for a proper compressor and $1.2k for 3 machines. I really want a try on one too before I devote to that setup...I got only about a half hour total using neumas even...
Btw asA how are those neumas doing ya?

asA
06-20-2012, 01:29 AM
Tattooed with um the other day. I have 6 n2s.. haha might be a little overkill. But they seem to have a little less torque with the plastic turbines. Anyways I love pneumatic machines just hate compressors.

darkness
06-20-2012, 01:47 AM
oh i Forgot the footswitch :( ... i´m looking to Injecta FLITE

Dreviltattoo
06-20-2012, 11:33 AM
This compressor will never rest. U should have a max pressure of 120psi or higher. 2 cfm or higher at 40psi. I paid $250 for a California air ultra quiet 6 gal 1hp compressor and have been using all day every day for over 6 months without any problems. It doesn't have to be dental grade as long as u use proper filters and dryer. I prob have $400 into my setup. I use intuitions daily. They are great machines and intuition is a great company. Air is the way to go. Perfect amount of give.

Dreviltattoo
06-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Oh yeah. No foot switch is way better too.

Dreviltattoo
06-21-2012, 05:07 AM
Got my email today. Nearly forgot about it. Are you guys still enjoying yours?absoulutely love them!

Dreviltattoo
06-21-2012, 05:15 AM
They say they are more efficient than the neumas... And neumas use 2 to 3 cfms. And that compressor will do that. So you should be ok... The compressor will just always be on trying to keep up.cfm ratings depend on psi. u need 1.6 - 2cfm @40psi for any neumas or intuition machines.i don't run any of these machines above 21psi. hybrids run around 15psi or higher for tribal or some solid packing.

darkness
06-21-2012, 05:55 AM
mmh ... this one http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202977397&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&PID=1319015&cm_mmc=CJ-_-1319015-_-10368321&cpncode=30-58410501-2&AID=10368321&cj=true&srccode=cii_13736960

..ok ,thats quiet and nice for intuition . I´m on the waitinglist but no email from intuition ....

Dreviltattoo
06-21-2012, 01:02 PM
mmh ... this one http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202977397&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&PID=1319015&cm_mmc=CJ-_-1319015-_-10368321&cpncode=30-58410501-2&AID=10368321&cj=true&srccode=cii_13736960

..ok ,thats quiet and nice for intuition . I´m on the waitinglist but no email from intuition ....That will run out of air too quick. A 6 gal is much better and will last longer. Here is the one I'm using:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202977399&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC%2d%5f%2dproduct%2d1%2d%5f%2d202977397%2d %5f%2d202977399%2d%5f%2dN
Same thing with bigger tank and comes with water seperator.

darkness
06-21-2012, 03:26 PM
thanks a lot ...i will bought this compressor :)

Dreviltattoo
06-21-2012, 04:43 PM
No prob. Visit automationdirect.com for quality fittings, filters, dryers, hose and the low pressure reg u will need at affordable prices.

Dreviltattoo
06-23-2012, 02:05 AM
Parts should be in on Monday for intuition. Waiting list people should have their machines soon. Check out their FB.

darkness
06-23-2012, 07:53 AM
good to hear - i´m so happy when getting a intuition :))

Dreviltattoo
06-26-2012, 03:18 PM
i'm no "ink master" but here are some recent tats done with intuition machines. the heart is 2.5", the koi is in process, a cover up, and originally lined with neuma hybrid (i got another 4 hrs to go on it) and the tree skull has a thick scar we covered in the eye so it looks a little aggravated. intenze colors, fusion grey wash, silverback black and #10 bp mags from needlejig and mithra super tight liners. i've got a third intuition on it's way!

Sage Oz
06-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Really clean and saturated! One of these days I'll be getting a intuition setup....

Dreviltattoo
06-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks bro. Get some. U won't be disappointed.

Dreviltattoo
06-26-2012, 08:11 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/484abe60-4d40-805b.jpg looks like u can get urs soon!

Dreviltattoo
08-27-2012, 12:55 AM
http://www.coastpneumatics.com/CP5049.html picked up one of these 2stage low pressure reg/filters for a second setup. really pleased, this is a good source for pneumatic equipment. on another note i've been using a california air 6 gal 1hp compressor for 8 months 8 hrs a day 5 days a week wide open with NO foot switch with absolutely no probs. same as the gmc cyclone 6310 ultra quiet. around $220....less $$ than a high end pwr supply..i'm still loving these intuitions. i'm exclusively using them at this point and highly recommend them. i've received free upgrades and Brian is great at keeping in touch on how i'm getting on with them and always answers any questions i may have. great machines, great company, great guy..thanks!

slicksteel
08-27-2012, 01:13 PM
thanks for the enfo!

polynesianworks
08-27-2012, 05:26 PM
how long is the waite and also how loud are they compared to the hybrids?

polynesianworks
08-27-2012, 05:35 PM
this is what i got amongst many coils and a cheyenne hawk.12877 i use it from time to time but I'm really interested in this machine

Eturnus
08-27-2012, 05:38 PM
could i slap a ttech on there and be ok?

Dreviltattoo
08-27-2012, 06:10 PM
how long is the waite and also how loud are they compared to the hybrids?man i had to sell my hybrids, couldn't stand them after using the intuitions. they run so much better, and the lining is waaaaaaaaayyyy better! you will probably sell all yours too after using one. the wait is short, probably a week or so. email Brian and mention my name (Rob Levis) he will hook you up.

polynesianworks
08-27-2012, 06:10 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/48eb6f5e-ed31-bfd8.jpg

Dreviltattoo
08-27-2012, 06:12 PM
could i slap a ttech on there and be ok?I texted him and he said he's actually working on it now. He's optimistic. My guess is he wants to give it a few runs, this guy is a perfectionist! He tests out every machine himself before shipping.

Dreviltattoo
08-27-2012, 06:15 PM
this is what i got amongst many coils and a cheyenne hawk.12877 i use it from time to time but I'm really interested in this machine
it's all you will use if you try them. i had to sell all my huybrids and n2's, just couldn't do it. i'm exclusive with the intuitions!

Dreviltattoo
08-27-2012, 06:17 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/48eb6f5e-ed31-bfd8.jpg
that's not a bad way to spend $1200 but you can get a ultra quiet california air for $220

polynesianworks
08-27-2012, 06:39 PM
This compressor is bad ass! I barely use the hybrids anymore but good thing I didn't sell the compressor cuz I'm very interested in them intuitions.

PAWNJOB
08-28-2012, 01:34 AM
Back 20 yrs ago I used to airbrush. Granted I used a pretty cheap set up but I had nothing but problems w/ compressors and eventually ended up renting an industrial grade cylinder air tank in order to bypass using them. Anyone use one of these for running their pneumatic machines?

darkness
08-28-2012, 07:47 AM
in germany is a quiet compressor extreme expensiv so i build my own with a used Thomas 2660 pump.... all cost my 200.- EUR with airtank ,new fittings and filter ....

polynesianworks
09-03-2012, 04:37 PM
How load is this machine compared to the hybrid?

Dreviltattoo
08-14-2013, 11:44 PM
They are almost silent