PDA

View Full Version : How to stop/limit blatant ripoffs...

TATsoul
04-09-2012, 05:17 PM
All,

In recent light of the copycats coming out of China, there is a pretty good solution to this madness. I think it's time for us to give back to the industry by providing good pertinent information.

We have lawyers in China and even contacts in all the "trade" sites (ala alibaba, etc) that we learned from to stop copycats from staying on these sites. It's very possible to limit/stop the exposure of copycats through this method. It goes beyond just going for a patent, etc. It's HOW you go about with patents and also WHO you contact to stop copycats from being posted to the public. Also, HOW to be most efficient with your money and time on protecting your innovation/design. Issues on SPEED will also be included so you don't wait for a patent pending to be published 3 years later. We have ways to create patent documents in 6 months to STOP them in China which is unheard of compared to normal methods.

I've been meaning to write it all up for Gaston (fk irons/spektra) and have no problem sharing this info to all of you who are interested as well. This strategy is being written by one of my partners including screenshots, etc. and should be ready to go by mid-week. The cool thing is this strategy has been proven to work and though I am not guaranteeing 100% fault-proof, it's worked for us on a few products we added protection on. The same approach can be used on any product, be it machines, etc.

I don't want to post everything on the forum because there are a few supply companies whom I will not mention that may take this strategy and try to find loopholes to get ripoffs over here. If you are a builder or manufacturer (big or small) and want to know about our experiences and resources, please feel free to PM me your email address, name, and company/shop name. Once I verify you are legite, I'll send this info over to you with no strings attached. Took us many years of trial and error to come up with a comprehensive solution (5-10 minute read).

On a side note, if our strategy was implemented, I can say with 99% confidence that the whole dragonfly/firefly/whip knockoff fiasco could have been extremely limited or stopped altogether.

-Billy

Sekt
04-09-2012, 05:26 PM
wow ! this really is a generous offer, as I know something about patent law, and how patient one has to be with the process. Amazing...

Andythetemple
04-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Thing that gets me is most machines are copied off somebody else very rare you see a truly innovative machine . Might be my age but all this seems a bit over the top I'm sure they can get round patents by changing the design up a wee bit

TATsoul
04-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Hey Andy, the thing is most machines all do share similar shapes and sizes but China has a knack to make blatant copies. The idea is to stop the blatant copies as it stops BRAND confusion. I believe changing the designs up enough to atleast prevent brand confusion is ok depending on how much but when it's pretty blatant, that's when you need to step in to stop it.

Andythetemple
04-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Yes I agree on that one when it's a direct copy they should have some respect but they obviously don't care . As far as there concerned what makes money for others will make money for them the swashdrive I've touched on before as prime example. they now sell them for £35 which is dirt cheap I understand the anger in the business people have good grounds to be angry but aslong as china is around will be near impossible to stop I'm quite surprised they havnt started making well made machines using top quality parts with there obvious knowhow , innovation and resources I'm surprised they havnt came up with a new machine they could call there own .

joelhague
08-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Thank you TATSOUL another reason why i shop with you :) keep the $ in the family so we can continue to have new and groundbreaking tools and supplies, you give all your money to china shit companys and they are just gunna keep selling you the same old junk forever they dont care about innovation and creating something better or new they dont even have the knowledge to do such things and never will because they just care about the money not the art

tatu richie
08-11-2012, 12:23 AM
All,

In recent light of the copycats coming out of China, there is a pretty good solution to this madness. I think it's time for us to give back to the industry by providing good pertinent information.

We have lawyers in China and even contacts in all the "trade" sites (ala alibaba, etc) that we learned from to stop copycats from staying on these sites. It's very possible to limit/stop the exposure of copycats through this method. It goes beyond just going for a patent, etc. It's HOW you go about with patents and also WHO you contact to stop copycats from being posted to the public. Also, HOW to be most efficient with your money and time on protecting your innovation/design. Issues on SPEED will also be included so you don't wait for a patent pending to be published 3 years later. We have ways to create patent documents in 6 months to STOP them in China which is unheard of compared to normal methods.

I've been meaning to write it all up for Gaston (fk irons/spektra) and have no problem sharing this info to all of you who are interested as well. This strategy is being written by one of my partners including screenshots, etc. and should be ready to go by mid-week. The cool thing is this strategy has been proven to work and though I am not guaranteeing 100% fault-proof, it's worked for us on a few products we added protection on. The same approach can be used on any product, be it machines, etc.

I don't want to post everything on the forum because there are a few supply companies whom I will not mention that may take this strategy and try to find loopholes to get ripoffs over here. If you are a builder or manufacturer (big or small) and want to know about our experiences and resources, please feel free to PM me your email address, name, and company/shop name. Once I verify you are legite, I'll send this info over to you with no strings attached. Took us many years of trial and error to come up with a comprehensive solution (5-10 minute read).

On a side note, if our strategy was implemented, I can say with 99% confidence that the whole dragonfly/firefly/whip knockoff fiasco could have been extremely limited or stopped altogether.

-Billy

thats freakin awesome...

Eturnus
08-11-2012, 12:41 AM
This is awesome.