PDA

View Full Version : Machine getting hot

grizzlytoof
04-28-2012, 08:18 AM
Hi, I just got a whip about 2 weeks ago and I noticed that on bigger pieces taking an hour or more the machine starts getting a little hot. Is this normal? It still seems to run fine just a little hot.

Dan Kubin
04-28-2012, 05:44 PM
I am unfamiliar with the Whip, but I once had an issue with my machine getting warm, and it turned out that the flywheel was rubbing on the motor housing.

grizzlytoof
04-28-2012, 11:09 PM
The whip is the latest Swashdrive machine from Tony Oliver. I like it a lot, it just gets kinda hot while using it, which makes me concerned the motor will burn out.

fkirons
04-29-2012, 02:04 AM
Motor will not burn. Maxon's spec sheet on the 216000 says that can operate under certain heat conditions usually cause for the motor load.
I actually spoke to one of the Maxon representatives in the US and we went over this subject and they told me that the motor can run warm without affecting its functionality.

I would be more concern about axial wear if the motor heats up a lot than motor burning down.

OwlsDen
04-29-2012, 07:34 AM
I am hesitant to ask, as I hate the discussions that follow. Alas, are you positive that it is a genuine article?

grizzlytoof
04-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Well, I guess that's a concern. I purchased it from Amazon, from a supply company. It said it was a new completely genuine Swashdrive Whip missing the box. Now that you say that I feel really pissed. I am wondering did I get duped, I probably did. I paid $250, and it was a "legit" supply company, so I figured I had found a good deal. I have bought all my machines new and have never minded paying what they cost. So, now here is another concern, how would I tell if it's a fake one? I am new to rotaries and the forum, so I don't have a ton of experience with this, so I am sorry if I am starting a discussion that has been talked about a lot.

asA
04-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Post some photos.. But most the time if it's too good to be true it is. 250 is pretty cheap for that machine. Where did you buy it from?

turnrock
04-29-2012, 10:55 AM
if you go on amazon youll still find another "brand new for $250 missing box” theres another clue.

Assassin Rich
04-29-2012, 12:23 PM
bro i can get the fake whips for 40 bucks.. sounds like thats what you got.. all my authentic machines have boxes and certs. i got taken on a mickey sharpz this way.. but i may add it runs just as good i think rotaries are a diffrent story. Look at the manufactuers website for suppliers and buy only from them.

Assassin Rich
04-29-2012, 12:26 PM
http://www.dhgate.com/red-butterfly-rotary-tattoo-machine-gun-swashdrive/p-ff80808136394d840136500996375675.html

grizzlytoof
04-29-2012, 05:17 PM
This is why i normally only buy from the manufacturer. I suppose I only went for it because it was from a company and not a private seller. When it arrived it looked exact, the thing is it has the logo on the side of it. I thought the ripoffs wouldn't have these, but it looks like they do. Man that blows! So, the machine getting hot is probably just because it's a cheap piece of garbage that is going to burnout.

Administrator
05-02-2012, 06:21 PM
If you get a chance shoot an email over to Samyo about this at shawshdrive. They may be interested in knowing who is selling these knockoffs that. I know there is not much they can do to help your situation but its good for the manufacturers to track down this stuff.

sent from my oobnoxiosly large galaxy note phone thing via tapatalk.

grizzlytoof
05-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Thanks a bunch! I know I am screwed, but I would like these jokers who pull this shit get nailed. I mean to actually put the logo on the side is low

tat2bert
05-15-2012, 12:23 AM
There are many fake whips out there. I have 2 real ones and I wanted to check out the fakes so I purchased one. cost me $110.00... Lets just say it is very hard to tell. The one I purchased says Swashdrive Whip on it, and came in the same plastic box. looks just like the real ones. Very hard to tell but they run a little slower because of the cheap motors.

nivek
05-15-2012, 01:54 AM
I have a bad habit of running machines when not tattooing, at times just for the sake of the noise. I am trying to break that habit, and I have noticed that the machines that were getting hot, did not have it happen as much.

skinmech
05-15-2012, 03:11 AM
I have a bad habit of running machines when not tattooing, at times just for the sake of the noise. I am trying to break that habit, and I have noticed that the machines that were getting hot, did not have it happen as much.

Thats probs because there is no resistance or put it another way, the machine is not running under any load or pressure...In the simplest of terms...Think of yourself on a Bicycle going down a hill, you have no pressure, or resistance, so free wheeling is nice and smooth..... and then think of yourself having to peddle up the hill...P;)

e_Bangs
05-15-2012, 03:39 AM
I had the same issue twice on the gen7 motors they will burn out(stop working). I had a neo tat get hot and slow down. My 1st centri number 26 just stop. I was using a $190 dual kingpin power supply never again will I put a $350+ machine on a psu cheaper than the machine itself unless its a centri hooked up to the Ems 400 or a critical psu. I'm now extra cautious to what power supply I use I think that has major role on how these MOTORS will act. I haven't had an issue since then.

iPad 3 user!