PDA

View Full Version : La Santa Maria-Pinta Hybrid Review..

skinmech
05-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Ok, so this Review has taken longer than I thought,why,because it is very,very versatile Machine....I got it solely for B&G, and soon found out, it has a lot more in it's locker....

I usually bring out a Fast running, Soft hitting Coil Machine for B&G, so I decided to compare the Pinta alongside my Coil...This wasn't a test to see what machine was best, as I don't want people taking sides, it was to see how the Pinta, with a 2.6mm Stroke, with the adjustment almost tightened right down, maybe only a tenth of a turn from being "fully home", would carry out the task. I didn't change my handspeed, and I like to line with a Mag, if I am doing clouds, so this was going to be tried as well......

I loaded it with a Cheap Rubber grip dispo, 9 mag1 (not curved) as I need the edge to line, dialled in 5.5 v's, tested "Hit/Force" with my thumb, was the same "approx" as my coil, probs slightly harder, but, not enough to worry about, and off I went...

Handspeed, was almost identical to that which I would use with my Coil Machine, so I upped the v's to 5.8, and this matched my "usual" handspeed, I usually hang the needle, but with the smaller throw, I rode the tube....Effortless, comes to mind, or simple, or easy, or any other word, which is the opposite of hard, or difficult........Shading and Blending, is soooo controllable, match your handspeed with needle depth, and if you lift the needle slightly off the skin,numerous colour blends are achieved, flip the tip on its side, and the Mag lines like a Liner, turn the angle slightly, and because of the Power in this Machine, Line weight can be achieved, very easily, almost like a Calligraphy Pen.So with this in mind, and the 2.6mm throw, I decided to Line with it...

I loaded a 7rl, my fav by choice, kept the v's at 5.8, "thumb" force was ok, so I ramped it to 6v's, cos it's a nice round number...Tightened the adjuster so it was "fully home".....Romeo, has kept this a secret form us....This is a Liner, disguised as a B&G Shader, think Refined Cranker, and you are on the right track......I never even tried it for Colour work, I have it in a box, marked as B&G/Liner....so take from that what you will....If you have one, try it out for Lining, you won't be disappointed, it has more tricks up it's sleeve than a Magician..

How does it compare to my B&G Coil Machine, every bit as good, however, I can't line with my Coil B&G Machine...Need I say anymore..Its got 10 out of 10 written all over it, no matter what you throw at it...

Sage Oz
05-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Very cool! I love my Maria but have been apprehensive to try lining with it til now...

skinmech
05-04-2012, 12:09 PM
The Maria has the same motor as the Nina, so don't be shy, go and play, simply load, lock and lay...:o

Oh and 6.2v's is good for loose 7's and 9's, but that didn't rhyme..

Sage Oz
05-04-2012, 12:17 PM
I wasn't worried about motor speed, just the stroke length, I've not had much luck with lining with anything less than 3.5mm.... Man I wish the stroke was adjustable on them...
But I'll try it out soon!

skinmech
05-04-2012, 12:44 PM
I wasn't worried about motor speed, just the stroke length, I've not had much luck with lining with anything less than 3.5mm.... Man I wish the stroke was adjustable on them...
But I'll try it out soon!

I totally agree, I prefer a 4mm stroke for lining, and adjust the tube to suit, as I like a lot of needle hang, so I was very surprised with the Lining ability of the Maria...You want a long stroke Liner...Check out that Peter Tieg I got, 4mm+ throw, and good to 13v's...:rolleyes:

kep
05-04-2012, 02:09 PM
i just grabbed a "pinta" and would have to say it is a very easy machine to switch over from coils to rotarys and not struggle...wonderful machine very nice clean hit. and packs color like a beast..have yet to try it with b&g or lining but am anxious ...to top it off Roman is a great guy to do business with...

tugg
05-04-2012, 02:39 PM
I've just received a nina from a forum member on here ,can anyone tell me how noisey their supposed to be as mine is noisier than expected .but it has a long stroke so that might be why. Its pretty quite but up th e volts past 4.5 -5 and it starts making a racket

skinmech
05-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Sounds like it is broken and you have been sold a Dog.......Mines is totally Silent, until I hook it up, hit about 5.5v's and then it makes a Noise....A bit like a NeoTat with a deep voice on a MotorBike.......P:rolleyes:

tugg
05-04-2012, 03:09 PM
just hook mine up again, and unloaded its just as you describe. just noisier when loaded. I've been lining all week with a neo so anything sounds loud. I don't know wether its because of its long stroke but it seems to have a fair bit of vibration . I done 2 hours worth of script yesterday and the vibration was making my fingers numb.might see if I can convert it too short stroke as I was really after a santa maria

tatu richie
05-04-2012, 03:36 PM
skinmeck is what u have a lapinta bcause u are mentioning the pinta. or is it the maria? the lapinta is more for color packing and blending... mine was loud at first bcause i ran it to high, he says run it between 4.5 to 6.5... it has gotten alot quietter yet a lil noise but no big deal, its a great machine and his customer service is fantastic...

Roman HM tattoomachines
05-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Hello
Thanks skinmech great review!! Im IMPRESSED the way it was thought before using it and all the way You planned out your stategy on how to try it!! Really IMPRESSED You know Your thing! Everything was logically thought!
Tatu richie that machine motorwise and stroke wise is a santamaria but with a pinta slide.
Tugg, i pm'd You with a longer versión of this expaination but basically that niña was made for a members request with a 4.5 mm stroke, wich i made specially for him! ( all my new machines have fullee balanced excenters)but to make a out of standard stroke we had to make a normal excenter,so i guess that is why it vibrates! Also different stayup spring as well, so i told the owned to use low voltage, You cant use it at the same voltage as the other niñas
Any way i can bring it back to normal stroke lenght for You.
Thanks everybody!!! Roman

tugg
05-04-2012, 04:31 PM
now thats what I call customer service. many thanks Roman
Ihave pmmd you back but not sure if it worked.

Roman HM tattoomachines
05-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks
No PM, please try again.

tatu richie
05-04-2012, 05:32 PM
romans customer service is phenomenal

skinmech
05-04-2012, 05:53 PM
As are his Machines.......Don't go swimming in a 3 Piece Suit, or attend a Business meeting in Speedos, only saying,P:D