PDA

View Full Version : i need neuma help

eric03
05-17-2012, 03:21 AM
ok so, i bought a neuma hybrid and electric module off of ebay for dirt cheap. got it and tried to use it but it sounded really quiet,even when i raised the voltage up high. then when i brought it down, it was still quiet but after rubbing my thumb along the post, it got crazy loud and rattled a lot. so i opened it up only to find that the insides just had a gear looking thing and thats it.no motor, small parts,etc. i cleaned everything, put it all back and ran it. it ran better but still seems inconsistent and rattly sounding at times.just doesn't seem to have too much power behind the hit and it sounds temperamental at times. any suggestions to make this thing run how it should or is this the problems to be expected with the hybrids? i had the original and used a compressor n it was awesome. basically what got me interested in rotaries in the first place.this one though, not too impressed so far. help a brother out will ya:)thanks

artoftatt2
05-17-2012, 06:09 PM
The hybrids are junk.. They have no push compared to the original with a air compressor..

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?fg0qha

slicksteel
05-17-2012, 06:20 PM
you must run them at high volts starting at 11v- they have a 18volt motor-which is in the module-in the machine part their is a impeller with magnets which the motor turns.if the volts art to low it does not sync right. if ran at the proper volts they run very smooth.

Sage Oz
05-17-2012, 06:24 PM
I never understood the hybrids, seems like a band aid idea. It's like trying to turn a hot air balloon into a helicopter.

eric03
05-17-2012, 06:42 PM
haha.thanks for the input. overall I'm a lil bummed that it doesn't run as i hoped but, i still wanted it from a collectors stand point. still a pretty ingenious machine in my eyes.it would b better if it worked though.lol

asA
05-18-2012, 01:24 AM
You can always use it as a magnet on your fridge. They work real well for holding up finger paintings

Sage Oz
05-18-2012, 01:38 AM
I just bought a pair, pretty sure that's how they'll end up lol

eric03
05-18-2012, 03:37 AM
pretty expensive magnet.haha

The Limey
05-18-2012, 03:55 AM
Slicksteel hit the nail on the head, run it as hard as you dare with the module if not the magnets un-couple and all manner of weird noises will ensue that'll scare the bejeesus out of the poor sod sat in the chair. I actually went back to my old Eikon 10 turn psu without a meter so as not to be put off by the voltage as my Hybrid was useless until 15 Volts.

If your Hybrid has a metal back plate, congrats! They changed them to plastic at some point and the plastic one I had ran like crap although in all fairness, Monica replaced it with a metal one but, as they ain't trading right now good luck with that :rolleyes:

eric03
05-18-2012, 04:09 AM
thanks limey. I'm gonna try it when i get back to work on sat. its funny u said the noise would scare someone bc thats exactly what happened the other day. it started ratlin like crazy n my customer asked if i should maybe change machines bc it freaked him out. so of course i obliged.haha. as far as i know theres no plastic bits on the machine i got. so i guess thats a good thing in my favor like u mentioned. i am always afraid to run the machines too high but on the critical power supply attest, i find raising the voltage a lil more than most ppl have suggested makes the machines work better for me. my gen 6 swashes I've had for 5 yrs n they work the best when they are between 10-10.5. again, thanks for the feedback n advice n i am still holding out some hope that i will make this machine work for me the way i need it to.haha

Stripe
05-18-2012, 10:40 AM
I still love my Neuma Hybrids, they run like a dream. Line, color and put in black and gray so smooth. But I only ran them on air. The electric thing is a total piece of junk. I started a tattoo with it once and put the air back on after a few min. The electric thing needs to be run around 14+ volts to work. Advice from Neuma's site (when it was up) said to run @ 13-18v. It said don't be affraid to crank it up.
If it wasn't for the noise I would still be using them (with air) all day/every day.

Dreviltattoo
05-18-2012, 02:09 PM
i love mine. just bought a 3rd. i like the SS better and i like them on air better. i used them the other day electrically and they work sweet, just no air cushion. they do have a rattling sound to them. i oil the bearings with 2 drops of synthetic oil on each bearing once a month (by taking apart). if it's excessive then your bearings or the armature slider may be worn...maybe that's why it was "dirt cheap". i just paid $500 for a SS and module with 2 hrs on them. U can by the bearings at an RC shop. operating range is 11v-13v for me. LS needs a lil more than the SS and everyone has a different hand speed so u may vary ur volts. supposedly Neuma is coming back soon?? who knows. i def like my hybrids better than my N2's. also adjusting ur elastic to fine tune is always helpful on these machines. good luck!