PDA

View Full Version : Extending Hawk plunger length

studio88
05-25-2012, 11:32 PM
I recently purchased a Hawk, and even with the needle hang set as long as possible, it still doesn't stick out enough as I like when lining, or picking away at fine details with a round shader.

Has anyone messed around with slightly extending the length of the plunger, in order to extend needle hang? If so, what did you use to do this, and did you have good results?

I only need about an extra 1mm of length

Thanks.

studio88
05-25-2012, 11:34 PM
One idea I had was to put a tiny dab of silicone on then end of the plunger. If no one replies, I'l probably try that :)

asA
05-25-2012, 11:55 PM
Buy a thunder if you want more throw.....

studio88
05-26-2012, 03:22 AM
Yeah that's probably the best option asA, thanks. I just picked this Hawk (original) up used recently. I'm really diggin it, except for the short stroke length. Maybe I'll sell it and use the money to buy the Thunder.

JohnnyChaos
05-26-2012, 05:35 AM
One idea I had was to put a tiny dab of silicone on then end of the plunger. If no one replies, I'l probably try that :)
If you just want it to hang out more and didn't mind that the needle might not fully retract then that might work.
or buy a Thunder :)

studio88
05-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Yeah I'm probably going to buy the Thunder, but from what I've been reading you need to also use the Hawk power supply with it. Right now Unimax says that the PU2 works with the Thunder (has jump-start chip) but that the PU1 with jumps start chip is "coming soon". I'd rather not have to buy the more expensive PU2.

Can anyone confirm if it works with the "old" PU1 that's for sale now, so I don't have to wait for the new one?

studio88
05-26-2012, 02:05 PM
And one more issue: I have a wireless foot pedal from Critical. The receiver for it has the standard 1/4" phono plug connector you find on most tattoo power supplies. I notice the hawk foot pedal uses an RCA connector. I wonder if I convert the Critical wireless receiver to RCA (using a simple adapter) if it will work with the Hawk power supply? Because I've grown used to the wireless pedal, woudl suck to have to use the hawk pedal.

And furthermore it says the hawk power supply is "momentary" meaning when you press the pedal, the machine stays on until you press it again. That blows. Is there a way around that???

JohnnyChaos
05-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Doesn't seem to be any way round the on off, but I ran my critical like that so it suited me.
I have a PU1, the newest version and that does jump start the thunder.
You could just try the kick-start cable with your critical. It does work. Just not as well as using the proper psu

hellraiser6662
05-26-2012, 04:42 PM
If you undo the front of the hawk there is a very small alankey holding the push rod in place undo and pull it out a little you might get that little more throw. If you want to pull it a part totally i'll tell yoi where all the alan key grub screws are otherwise you can do loads of damage to the wiring

studio88
05-28-2012, 03:01 AM
Right on, thanks for the info everyone.

I ordered a Thunder with PU2. Also ordered the jump start cord, can't wait to try it all out.

I will still extend the plunger on the original Hawk just for grins too :)

adamfromessex
05-28-2012, 07:06 PM
using t-tech or cheyenne carts? if t-techs- gonna assume u could pos trim them back? just an idea-didn't do it myself just a thought

joelhague
06-27-2013, 01:53 AM
Bump on this i hate how i cant get the full hang on t tech liners any help does opening the front of the thunder work and undo the screw that holds the plunger rod can it be moved down? Nervous to take it appart

artoftatt2
06-27-2013, 01:57 AM
Buy a flight Joel :)

joelhague
06-27-2013, 02:56 AM
Buy a flight Joel :)

i succeeded on the spirit but my thunder facepolate is os seized i sctarched the fuck outta my new thunder at this point i dont care i just wanna open it up fuckk spirit was so easy thunder there is barley any room to get a tool on there

joelhague
06-27-2013, 05:07 AM
anyone know the size bit for the little hex screw on the cam, i tried every allen key i have and its some weird size inbetween or possibly stripped, def not the same size as on the spirit, , and the faceplate was glued on or something... anyone know if its possible to order a replacement faceplate from cheyenne?

joelhague
06-27-2013, 02:53 PM
got the screw out 50,0000 allen keys later now the rod wont pull out or in, this is becoming a nightmare for something that should be simple, i mailed hawk they said send it back to germany.... to replace the faceplate, i cant do that myself they said? it screws on i have taken it on and off 30 times already...

joelhague
06-27-2013, 02:57 PM
took me 5 min on spirit no hassel, on the thunder, i have had a glued on faceplate that made it super difficult to unscrew, then a very odd sized or maybe stripped allenkey bolt for the plunger rod adj that does not match the other bolts on the back of the machine by the connector and when i finally get that little bitch of a screw out the rod doesnt want to pull forward or backward , sorry for the rant just a warning to anyone else who attempts this...

asA
06-27-2013, 04:11 PM
My thunder came apart super easy. I took it all the way apart no scratches no scuffs. My og hawk broke while trying to stretch a clip cord tube over it and that thing was glued together and a biotch to take apart. I think if it doesn't get machined well or it doesn't fit right they just glue it together instead of making it with better tolerances.

joelhague
06-27-2013, 05:10 PM
I DID IT ! big thanks to rick from stylus for some helpful advice on getting that stuck plunger rod out. ok so my liner t tech carts would stop a fair bit short in the tube, reg cheyene carts were fine and were flush or a bit over in the up position but the t techs were quite a ways back this annoyed me because im used to running more needle hang to line and i wasnt getting the full 4mm out the tube. and as if it isnt a big enough learning curve using this machine try doing it without the hang you like..

anyways, i can now get 4.5!!! mm out of the tube on the thunder and 3.1 o the spirit!, a bit of the girlfriends black nail polish and you can hardly tell it got dinged up it actually looked more badasss with the scratches they formed in a very symetrical pattern haha... so now i can use my t tech carts the way i always did , cant wait for my next apt

another issue im having is i have the pu2 unit and according the the voltage chart johnny chaos posted 10.6 should be 130cps, mine on my eikon ems400 runs the same on 12.4 and the machines do not cut out until 14.8 and 15 volts, this is really weird the eikon is a good ps but it seems to be giving not the correct voltage readings. i tried on my cheap power supply and its the same deal doesnt cut off till 14.8/15 volts on both, and to get it sounding and feeling the same 130 cps =12.4 v ..... 14 v is giving me the same sound and feel as the pu2 at 160, and around 8.5 volts for 60cps... why are both my machines and power supplys giving me these numbers that dont match what others are saying about there hawk voltages

help please

and does anyone notice a very high pitch noise coming from there cheyenne pu2, its so high pitch u barley can hear it... but its there... the ems 400 is dead silent... and also does anyone know if the cheyenne fixed grip plungers are the same diameter as the plunger rods in the hawks like could i buy one and cut it and fit it into my hawk.... or are they like a regualr needlear diameter