PDA

View Full Version : PRIMUS by Sunskin

throwhammers
05-26-2012, 01:21 PM

It comes in a Primus branded tin, with a quick start guide and a hand numbered, signed, dated, card stating when it was tested and built. The machine is also hand engraved with a date and machine number.

Ok, so I have been using the Primus for a little while now. I have to say first, it is the most well constructed machine I have ever used. Ever. There is virtually zero play in any of the parts, the tolerances are extremely close.
I have the "old brass" model in RCA, though it comes in "black brass" and/or clipcord as well. It should retail for around 400 euro.

The Primus is a little on the heavy side (but feels more solid than weighty if that makes sense) I think it is similar in weight to a DK mini cranker. It has a Faulhaber motor which is connected to a two piece crank allowing more straight up and down movement. The two piece crank is similar to the Bazooka, however, Sunskin has connected the two pieces with a bearing, which eliminates any play between the two parts and makes the movement seamless.
The crank is connected to the armature bar via a metal "wheel" with hard rubber (I do not know the exact material used) "spokes" (this is sort of the symbol sunskin uses for the machine). This piece allows for some give. The armature bar is, of course, connected to the machine frame via a short heavy gauge spring.

The Primus feels like it hits very hard, until you start to tattoo with it, then it has a surprisingly consistant give. It has the power to push probably any needle configuration you care to pair it with. Nothing I used it with slowed it down at all.

Lining- I used 3, 5, 9liners and 7 round shaders to line with it. The stroke is slightly shorter than I like, i didn't measure it but I put it right around 3.5mm. It lines smooth and fast, and while it is a bit heavy (which is nice for larger liners) it is so consistent, using a smaller liner like a three is a breeze as well.

Shading- 7 mags, 9mag bugpins, and 15 mags. The little bit of give makes it a competent shader, but it doesnt hit as soft as a dragonfly or the like can. If you pack grey wash rather than building up a tone with black, this is not an issue. Building up a darker tone takes a bit of getting used to (for me I think this is because i usually used direct drive or a lot of give, not something with a fixed slight give).

Color- same mags. Packs color like a champ. Nothing slows it down, I was able to work rather quickly and get nice solid tones in one pass.

There is one thing about this machine I don't like: The needle bar tensioner. It is well made for sure, but it was too short to use with any of my disposable tubes (I tried 3 different brands including tatsoul wrath tubes). If i pushed the tube down to a point where the tensioner would work, the needle barely came out of the tube. Using rubber bands was not an issue for me, and the positives of this machine FAR outweigh, what I consider to be, this slight inconvenience.

In short, should you own one of these? F YES. This is a pretty amazing little bit of engineering. It can do anything. The weight could be an issue for some (probably less so for those who use metal tubes) and the needlebar tensioner needs to be redesigned. Overall, despite the tensioner, i would still give it a 10.
After using this machine I really hope Sunskin sees some success with it and produces some other rotaries (a nice direct drive would be sweet).

If I didn't mention something you would like to know about, or was unclear about anything, or can answer any questions about the machine, please let me know.
cheers

asA
05-26-2012, 01:30 PM
How much was it?

Sage Oz
05-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Gorgeous machine! I like the Jeulles Verne look. The double bolt rear spring is trick. Sucks that you have til wait til tues to try it out, I'd be tempted to go to the shop and try it on myself lol

slicksteel
05-26-2012, 01:52 PM
does that front wheel move to allow some give?

Wonderland
05-26-2012, 02:10 PM
HUUUMMMM neat machine.

Barren
05-26-2012, 03:35 PM
wainting with baited breath for this reveiw !! im seriously in love with the styling fingers crossed it runs as good as it looks

MAD DOG
05-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Make one like this in a fulcrum armeture instead of spring loaded it would be...........................sold !!! .....................to me !!! .........lol ! Good lookin machine though .

Sinnersink
05-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Im looking forward to that rewiew!

throwhammers
06-10-2012, 10:03 AM
reviewed

tat2dru
06-11-2012, 11:16 AM
where is the review?

Barren
06-11-2012, 11:18 AM
global had 2 for sale at the mk convention this weekend . . . was very very tempted

evlink2006
06-11-2012, 11:42 AM
where is the review?

Look up^^^

Cain
06-11-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm going to track down a Primus even if it kills me!

Thus far I've only found Eurotribal, based in Paris and Nico Tattoo of Athens that seemingly stock them, but I'm not overly comfortable with the idea of odering from either site given that I've no knowledge of the service / reliability of either company and £400+ is something of a gamble should there be any problems....

I'll have to hope 'Global still have one available!

Cain
06-12-2012, 03:47 AM
Thanks to Barren's suggestion I've just secured me a Primus - I'll get me 'grubbies on it tomorrow!

Thanks again Barren - you're a gentleman, scholar and bone fide Rock 'n Roll star in my book!

evlink2006
06-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Has anyone seen these in the states? The more I look at it the more I want one. The ole lady will blow a gasket when I buy another machine but that's just too friggin bad. lol

Sage Oz
06-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks to Barren's suggestion I've just secured me a Primus - I'll get me 'grubbies on it tomorrow!

Thanks again Barren - you're a gentleman, scholar and bone fide Rock 'n Roll star in my book!

We will be anxious to hear a review, they look killer...

Sent from a galaxy far, far away...

astaluego
06-12-2012, 06:55 PM
the primus its price is 425 + 23% tax +15 shipping = 532 euro aproox : P Dax where you did get ?

throwhammers
06-13-2012, 01:56 AM
the primus its price is 425 + 23% tax +15 shipping = 532 euro aproox : P Dax where you did get ?

Direct from Sunskin.

throwhammers
06-13-2012, 02:22 AM
We will be anxious to hear a review, they look killer...

Sage, I edited the first post with a review on sunday... but it will be interesting to see another one

Barren
06-13-2012, 05:04 AM
cant wait for a reveiw cain

darkness
06-13-2012, 05:35 AM
cant wait too :)

Cain
06-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Well, my Primus arrived today as promised..... Sadly though my day ran hideously behind schedule and I didn't even get an opportunity to get a good look at it, let alone give it a run. :(

Still, all being well I should have some time prior to my first session in the morning to at least have a fiddle with it and I really can't wait.

As I mentioned in my 'Greetings' thread, I've used Sunskin coils exclusively for the last couple of years and have always been very impressed them, so the prospect of their Rotary is very intriguing - I genuinely don't recall ever being so excited at the thought of trying out a new piece of kit.

So yeah, as soon as I've had a little time to have a tinker and get a feel for the machine I'll very gladly post my impressions.

In the meantime, throwhammers - assuming you've had the opportunity to get the Primus running optimally, any advice as to how to approach it with regard to Voltage etc.?

tattoo4satan
06-14-2012, 07:04 PM
i wonder if primus users will chant primus sucks while tattooing

throwhammers
06-16-2012, 01:33 AM
I just wanted to add thatI received an email from the guys at Sunskin stating that they read the review of the machine, and are already working on a new needlebar tensioner (they also offered to replace the one on the machine I used should I happen to be at any conventions they are at). I^m super impressed with this machine, and the company in general after this experience.

In the meantime, throwhammers - assuming you've had the opportunity to get the Primus running optimally, any advice as to how to approach it with regard to Voltage etc.?

I had good results running it around 9.5-10v for pretty much everything.

Tullin
07-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Been working with my primus and it truly is an awesome machine. Ive always used my sunskin handbuilt coil for shading and nothing has ever come close to the softness it can achieve. Unfortunately it works best with needla groupings 11 and under thus being limited in its usage.
Enter the Primus, jumps to life at 4v and does a geat job as a soft shader at around 5v. Pushes every needle grouping with ease and truly is the first machine I've been able to use as a soft shader with my 23 mags.
Dearly recommended to anyone wanting a soft reliable shader without buying a coil