PDA

View Full Version : Decaying Rose n Jesus

DiarrheaSuitcase
05-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Lined with 4.2 Capo (7rlt), colored with 3.5 Vivace (9mag bugpin).

All in all, I like the way this came out. Normally I steer clear from anything that resembles traditional style, but I decided to have some fun and try a neo-trad'ish style. The dead half of the rose was a lot of fun and something I have never done before. Even though it took extra time due to experimenting, mixing gray with colors is a great way to get those muted or weird tones.

I am however disappointed with my lettering. I was very timid going into them and as a result, I had to make multiple passes to make them solid. And even though the client is super happy with the piece, I'm pretty bummed because I think the lettering came out like butt-crack (of course I'll be keeping this to myself to ensure he stays happy).
I admit that I still have fear when lining with a lot of hang. I like seeing where my needle is and the pros to lining like this outweigh the cons, but I've had a couple of incidents of going too deep and I think that keeps me freaked out and lining like a pansy. I can't wait until I conquer this demon.

Anyhow, thanks for looking!

Tkocevar1
05-28-2012, 10:32 AM
not bad at all man i see what you mean on the the lettering but it doesnt look horrible by any means

Sekt
05-28-2012, 11:03 AM
What happened when you went too deep, some blowout? scaring? what ink/machine/needle were you using at the time?

clint morrison
05-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Looks good to me! Very nice.

tatu richie
05-28-2012, 12:05 PM
lookin good

Sage Oz
05-28-2012, 12:54 PM
The decaying rose looks TITS! Love it. You're right about the lettering, but they don't distract from the picture much. Overall it looks really good!

DiarrheaSuitcase
05-28-2012, 04:35 PM
What happened when you went too deep, some blowout? scaring? what ink/machine/needle were you using at the time?

Until recently, I have been using the Neo Vivace 3.5 to line with (now its the Capo and as you know, both machines are no give). Normally using a 5rl or a 5rl tight. I have been using the normal liners as of late instead of the tights due to suggestions on other threads. And usually Talen's Black.

I def think my problem has a lot to do with my inexperience. Because there is about 3mm of needle hanging out, I know that I am capable of tattooing someone's bone marrow so I am trying to work off the tip of the needle. However, I have 2 big problems when doing this.
First problem is with the ink flow when doing this. It seems that both round or diamond tipped tubes give me this problem where the ink just ceases to come out, then pours out a second or two later. The longer 4.2 stroke has reduced this a little because I can have 1mm of needle backed into the tube, but it still happens. This has really thrown off my groove and I think that I go deeper to try to keep the ink flowing. Any ideas on wtf I can do to prevent this?
The second issue is that I have a hard time judging how deep the needle is actually going, as a result, I go more shallow than I should. This really sucks because I would have had a beautifully pulled line if it weren't for the fact that I didn't get it in there the first time, so I have to make a second pass (which makes the lines appear less sharp).

I really like being able to see my needle, so I want this style to work for me and I'm willing to continue working at it. It is just a little frustrating in the meantime.

evlink2006
05-28-2012, 07:18 PM
The ink flow has to do with how the needle is riding in the tube not so much how far out you run it.

DiarrheaSuitcase
05-28-2012, 08:56 PM
The ink flow has to do with how the needle is riding in the tube not so much how far out you run it.

Both of my rotary machines have the needle clip. I have noticed (even still) a slight upward motion with the needle while running. If I leave the needle and bar as-is and run it in the tube, there is an extreme upward motion. If I bend only the needle down at the solder, the upward stroke is alleviated some, but is still there. I have done a more extreme bend on the needle but I start seeing plastic shavings from the tube. I can't seem to find that happy medium.

I have heard recommendations to only bend at the needle and not the bar when using linear, clip style machines. I'm all ears though if you have any suggestions on how I might correct this problem. Thanks for the insight man!

Sekt
05-28-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm using T-tech at the mo, and I find them very good. With say a 7rl, I have the needle hang about 3.5, but flush with the tube fully retracted. I don't find any flooding. If i have needle back 1mm in the tube, it can flood. I'm using eternal lining blk. Haven't used talens, but is it quite thin compared to say commercial tattoo ink? you could use a drop of glycerin to improve flow, but thats messing around. i'd consider getting some eternal or similar.

Using t-tech I avoid bending needles, and I don't find many bad ones. If you have to bend needles, then they will be different every time, and work differently every time, depending on where you bend them, and how much. Some people swear by bug pins for lining, its another thing you can try.

The next thing you might think about is skin vibration. If needle in not going in, your stretching hand wont feel the skin vibrating, but if you go deep enough, you can feel the vibration in stretching hand. If your drawing blood, then your going too deep! Don't be afraid to hurt people- enjoy it lol! Depth should be about .75mm depending on age of person skin type/place etc.
Another thing is don't fret! Be confident with lines, and nail them. Lack of confidence shows especially with lines, they're zen.