PDA

View Full Version : What's goin' on? Not my knowledge of Rotaries.

II J T II
05-30-2012, 11:08 PM
Hello, I'm John and I am new to tattooing, rotaries, and forums. I guess I'm going for the newbie hat trick. I have been tattooing for about a year and a half and have been airbrushing for nine years. I tattoo at Good Family Tattoo in Lake Villa, IL. You can see most of my work at http://www.facebook.com/GoodFamilyTattoo/photos. I have three Danny Fowler Time Machines. It is what I have been taught with. I drastically want to change from coils to rotaries. I am so tired of tuning my f***ing machines. Sputtering machines reminds me of trying to airbrush fine details on a ninety degree day with 100% humidity. It's a royal pain. I love the idea of the rotary revolution. The only problem I have is that no one in my shop uses them, so I have no experienced advice. I have done probably 12 solid hours of research on rotaries in the past 2 days. I have found this site which the devotion to and expertise of rotaries is obvious. This brings me to my problem.

Which pair of rotaries should I buy first. I am blessed to work in a busy shop so money isn't the issue. I see that there are many builders in this forum as well as experienced rotary tattooists. I need help. The more I research the more my head spins in circles.

If I go stigma, should I go with the Hyper V2s which I can get out of Australia, the bizarre v2s, or should I wait for the Hyper v3s

I like the look of the Bishop Capos and I love Franco Vescovi's work. I also really like his idea of organic give also but Tat Soul is sold out until June 15th.

I have read many good things about the rapier IIs and that the customer service from tattooed pirate is exceptional.

I also love the idea of the autocleavable spektra rotaries but I don't think I can wait for those as I was hoping to buy some this week or the next.

Injeckta, HM, Bazooka, Swashdrive, I don't know I guess I should just buy some and quit crying.

I guess I'm looking for ease of cleaning and ease of getting used to.

I use an eikon ems400 power supply.

artoftatt2
05-30-2012, 11:14 PM
Hey bro I'm near you.. I can always swing buy with a case full of rotaries if you wanna check em out

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?n1csm0

DiarrheaSuitcase
05-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Hey bro I'm near you.. I can always swing buy with a case full of rotaries if you wanna check em out

---

That is a friggin awesome thing to do.... I'd take advantage of that if I were you! ;)

Wonderland
05-30-2012, 11:21 PM
all of the machines you listed are great! I personally like a no give machine. Vivace by neo tat, original swash, or the special technique as well. Have a nicks rotary on the way as well. I do have a dragonfly, but I have it set to no give an for me I like it that way. Longer strokes are my preferred setup as well.

So it's really a matter of preference and really what you like aesthetically as well. Oh and welcome to the forum.

II J T II
05-30-2012, 11:29 PM
Dude, That would be awesome....I completely understand if your busy but if you want to please do. One of my bosses just ordered 2 bizarre v2s...but I don't know if I'm sold on them yet I am there Mon-Thurs 12-8 and Sat 12-10 I am slammed with appts right now during working hours but I can either take a break or maybe we could meet up before or after shop hours or on one of my days off. Damn you guys are nice.

II J T II
05-30-2012, 11:32 PM
That last post was for artoftatt2...sorry still new to the forum thing. Wonderland I like the idea of the no give machine....Thanks everyone for the help!

slicksteel
05-30-2012, 11:33 PM
those are all great machines you listed!
The Neotats vivace are great machines at nice prices-they are no give-but are nice because they are easy to change a motor that goes bad or if you want to try different stoke lengths(they sell different motors with connects-rca,clipcord etc. and cranks all ready mounted.Also they are made to be wiped down easy and very sanitery-which is a big concern with new health dept laws. The service is great and ray the owner goes out of his way to always make things right.I have used allot of the give style ones at first and got rid of the no givers on my quest to find a rotary that ran like a coil. lol now I am trying to get all my no givers back as I use my coils for that type of give feel and rotarys for what they realy are -the closet thing to doing tebori-which is the most organic way to tattoo.By the way fowlers do not run very well-a good well tuned coil will stay in tune for a very long time -but need to be made/tuned to do a certain job.Also rotarys do have problems such as motors going bad/bad wiring sliders needing lubed/getting worn out etc. So the tag lines that alot of company put on rotarys that they never have to be maintaing etc is just alot of hype to make the sell.
Coils and rotarys are both great tools if they are maintained and tuned/made to do a certain job.:D

tatu richie
05-31-2012, 12:14 AM

---

wow bro you fucking rock man... artoftatt2 for f ing president

slicksteel
05-31-2012, 12:17 AM
yep cant get better then that!:cool:

artoftatt2
05-31-2012, 12:30 AM
Cool I should make it by your shop at noon..

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0rzqit

Sage Oz
05-31-2012, 12:32 AM
Very true^^^. Personally I prefer rotaries, mostly because of their lighter weight, but there are some coils like John Clark's single coil or Aaron C's liners, that are incredible machines the zenith of coilmaking. So really it's all about the quality and design advantages. Anyways my favorite rotaries so far have the Kubin cranker, HM SantaMaria, swashdriveG6, hyper V2, and the dragonfly. I'm about to get a special techniques and a Centri and am confident they'll both be great. Another thing to consider is the Intuition. It's just released, cutting edge, über lite, and would be an excellent choice for someone from an airbrush background looking for a new system. The work I've seen with them has been unreal. I want to get a setup for myself, after I build my rotary collection a bit more and can afford a proper compressor. Oh and welcome to this lovely forum:D

slicksteel
05-31-2012, 12:56 AM
ow i fogot the noironsmachines.com -action rotary are very nice maxon motored cnc'ed linear style with give plugs like neumas that can hit hard to soft-but more of a damping feel so if you need to work on a ankle throw in the soft plug to deter blowouts that you can get with a regular no give machine but still has that organic feel! -highly recommended this machine a hidden gem that can do it all for a great price!! also the builder is one here all the time.

Sage Oz
05-31-2012, 01:03 AM
Oh and everybody has been raving about Nick's machines, I don't have one yet but it's high on my list. A bargain. And Ameoba's are really cool as well.

Sage Oz
05-31-2012, 01:05 AM
The ' Your top 3 rotaries' thread says a lot about the favorites around here.

wildboy
05-31-2012, 02:16 AM
You should try a Swiss or a Bishop for a no give machine and a Rapier. Theyre all great machines you cant adjust which might be a good thing since you wanna get rid of tuning/adjusting machines. The Rapier has a build in give so you get the feel of both worlds. After you get comfortable with rotaries you could move on to a Dragonfly which is an excellent machine or any other adjustable give model.

II J T II
05-31-2012, 09:09 AM
[QUOTE=artoftatt2;43188]Cool I should make it by your shop at noon..

Damn...you are the man

artoftatt2
05-31-2012, 04:27 PM
Sweet shop! It was nice meeting all of you..

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?h0upib

Tkocevar1
05-31-2012, 05:06 PM
That's really cool of you artoftat2. Wish someone would have done that for me for sure. I had a centri greaaaaaat all around machine didn't like how you had to put the runner bands on but that's all. Got a 3.5 mm neo tat vivace and that thing is great! The needle clip sets the bar in the tube so perfect you can't beat it for the price good luck with your rotary endeavors

II J T II
06-01-2012, 12:32 AM
artoftatt2 came to our shop today with a case of rotaries. I am very fucking impressed this man is a man of his word which is very impressive in this day and age. I could not have asked for anything more. He helped me figure out what would work for me. He also helped my boss decide. This man is truly genuine. The comment for him to be f***ing president is an understatement. This forum is the shit! Thank you everyone especially artoftatt2!.....Dude you let me know what you need anything I can help out with you let me know and I'll be there. You want a piece from me? It would be my honor! Thank you!

asA
06-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Well what did ya like the most outta all of um?

II J T II
06-01-2012, 12:44 AM
HM machines and the special techniques really I guess I liked all of em'