PDA

View Full Version : Got my neotat today yummy

elbo
01-19-2011, 12:32 PM
My neotat arrived today...sadly i didnt ink with it as i was too busy...but ive plugged her in and thats one smooooooth running machine...feels and looks great...cant wait to use it tomorrow...First impression is pure quality...Im smiling just thinking about using it tomorrow.

Administrator
01-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Congrats on the addition to your Arsenal! If you want to ad a NeoTat badge in addition to badges for your Swash and Stigma to your profile the details are all in the getting started section. :)

elbo
01-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Well had a go lining with the neo tat...hmmmm wouldnt call it a great liner(i got the 2.5 model)Just didnt have any speed for lining!..im happier lining with the swashdrive...but have to say it did shade very nicely....And have to say its one nicely built machine and even though it was only used for a day i had a easier time on the first ever day i lined with the swash or the stigma v2 so it wasnt just a case of needing more time...

slicksteel
01-21-2011, 07:54 PM
I think that has to do with the motor selection as it is a more smooth torque type one can push a lot of needles for color or large shading.But it seems like alie has mastered all aspects of these machines.It does work well for detailed fineline thoe.

If you want a great liner for med to thick line work go Rapier runs more like a coil machine.
I think rotarys are just like coils they all have there nich.

Alie K
01-21-2011, 09:47 PM
How many volts are you running your midstroke on, elbo? When I line with a machine, I'm used to certain speeds for certain needle groups. Here's what I am comfortable at:

1-4 round liners: 110-118hz on a coil machine
5-9 round liners: 118-126hz on a coil machine

So, I have found that when I use small liners on my neotats, I'll use my 2.5mm neotat around 8 or 9v because I don't want it going too fast. If I'm using a larger grouping, and doing something technical, where I WANT to take my time, I'll use the same setting. If I want to fly through some bloodlines, I'll either use my 1.8 at 8 or 9v, or my 2.5 at 9 or 10v. If I want to use bigger groupings and want to take my time, I'll use my 3.5 at about 10v. If I want to go at a 'normal' coil speed, I might crank it up to 11v or 12v.

Think this way - shorter stroke is FASTER at the same voltage as a long stroke. Fiddle around with different settings, and eventually, you'll find your comfort zone.

It also helps to have a few different machines. Try and talk one of your coworkers into getting a machine. Since you have the medium stroke, get them to buy a long or short stroke! I think it's worth having all 3. At Ray's prices, that's not a difficult feat.

As another option, you may enjoy using a Rapier (it has 'give') or you may enjoy a RotaryWorks machine. The brass model has a good weight to it, making it easy to get lines in as you have some weight behind your needle - it's also superfast - it will line easily at 2.5 or 3 volts.

slicksteel
01-21-2011, 11:20 PM
So blockcoloring + heavy lines + contouring=3.5 Machine,
Thin inks + Color blending + meduim linework =2.5 Machine,
Undershading + Blackngrey + bloodlines + finelines=1.8 Machine

Alie K
01-21-2011, 11:30 PM
I use my long stroke for color blending and thicker ink, and my medium stroke for solid color. The med stroke is my 'tribal' machine.

slicksteel
01-22-2011, 12:42 AM
I must say you do have great technique with them!

The Limey
01-22-2011, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the breakdown Alie, very helpful!

elitexhunting
01-22-2011, 02:26 AM
yea just take your time and build the lines with that 2.5 , i just did a throat tattoo with mine thats throat skin is no joke lol but everything layed clean and solid.

elbo
01-25-2011, 06:31 AM
yea just take your time and build the lines with that 2.5 , i just did a throat tattoo with mine thats throat skin is no joke lol but everything layed clean and solid.
Thanks for the advice guys...im not giving up on it yet as its a lovely made machine..i might try the longer stroke version and see how i do with that...i can always keep this one for colour etc...its got to be the smoothest running machine ive ever held.